ADVERTISEMENT

Does 2 loss Georgia belong in Playoffs?

No, not under the current structure. There are 3 undefeated P5 teams and 2 1 loss Conference Champions. While Georgia may very well be one of the 4 best teams in the country, via the eyes test, selection should not be a subjective Beauty Contest. Selecting Georgia today would set an ugly precedence for the committee.
Hoping one day we move to an 8 teams Playoffs. Would much rather debate Teams 7 and 8 with little probability of beating the top teams in the country instead of the top 3-4 teams in the country.

I agree...8 teams would make for better conversations.
To go a little further...why not have a draw for teams playing each other like in world cup play...rankings don't matter...you get put into a random group (I think, but who knows with the corrupt FIFA).

They did make the Playoffs...... a 5 team playoff and just lost. Now we are down to four. Next....
Not really, if Alabama lost a close game to Georgia, they would have still been a lock to make the playoffs, especially after seeing Georgia end up #5.

I was watching the same SEC shills on ESPN this morning, they’re absolutely ridiculous. Alabama looked VERY beatable yesterday. This does not reflect on how good Georgia is, it reflects on how mortal the entire SEC is. Georgia beat no one this year, and lost to the only top 10 teams they played AT THE TIME. LSU was vastly overrated all year for beating who? Miami?

Georgia’s best win is probably Kentucky, who I would bet is probably about as talented and complete as an Indiana or a Purdue. These SEC teams are always over-rewarded for beating each other and never penalized for losing and this CFP system is extremely vulnerable to pre-season rankings and media hype from ESPN who has more monetary interests in the CFP and certain conferences than anyone else. I’d be much more satisfied with the computer composite that the BCS had without the human voters.

I would not be surprised at all to see an Oklahoma vs Clemson final. I’d really love to see the top 4 that a computer rankings composite has.

Here you go from Pete Thamel. Like I said I don't know when but some time in the future I'd expect it to expand.

Pete Thamel‏Verified account@PeteThamel 10m10 minutes ago
The Pac-12 has been irrelevant since October. The Big Ten champ will get left out three straight years. The Big 12 is uneasy. Could there be CFP change? Sources say this season "invites an inquiry" for expansion conversation.

Excerpts from the article:

Could an examination be following for a system that in many ways was set up to fail? After all, four spots for five power conferences never felt like math that would work in the long-term. And the friction heading into college football’s version of Selection Sunday is the most tense in any of the years, clearly trumping the decision in 2014 when Ohio State nudged out TCU and Baylor for the final spot.

Is the timing right for change in the big picture? There are certainly signs. The College Football Playoff is, in essence, a 12-year television contract with ESPN. (And we’ll be clear, no one wants a bigger playoff more than ESPN, which overpaid for the original at $5.6 billion.)

Next year is Year 6 of 12 for the CFP, and veteran television officials familiar with these types of contracts told Yahoo Sports that it’s likely that a “look-in” after six years would be written into the contract. That essentially doubles as an invite for re-examination.

Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany has always been a playoff wet blanket. He and Big 12’s Bob Bowlsby represent both of the sport’s old guard. In conversations with officials around the sport on Saturday night, the notion of a leadership change needed to be made in order for there to be changes in the playoff format was dismissed.

https://sports.yahoo.com/georgia-making-playoff-big-deal-future-college-football-053905948.html
Pete Thamel doesnt know jack.

Big Ten Commissioner Delaney sets the record straight.
"In a text message exchange with Nicole Auerbach of The Athletic, Delany reiterated that he felt no need to push for an eight-team playoff that would give his teams -- in this case, Ohio State -- a better chance to be included in the postseason."

Teams with 20 point losses, don't belong in, if there are other more worthy choices. Georgia's schedule was horrible and they lost by 20 at LSU and lost a double digit 2nd half lead yesterday.

The 8 team playoff would be ridiculous. 3 weeks of surviving brutality?

This would give the advantage to elite teams as they are the only ones that have depth to make it through that many post season games.

Look at UCF. One player down and their team is a shell of it self. Bama loses their QB, they insert the next 5 star backup. (See: Yesterday)

Lets not forger we are Rutgers. Even when we were good if Ray Rice was out we would be doomed those years.

4 teams is fine. You had an entire season to prove yourself. If you had 8 teams people would be crying for a 16 team playoff.
The 4 team format favors the elite teams more than an 8 team playoff would. You are right it would be grueling for teams lacking depth but who in the Top 8 lacks depth? Maybe UCF but they won’t get into a 4 team playoff. Ever.

They did make the Playoffs...... a 5 team playoff and just lost. Now we are down to four. Next....
This much is very true but what about OSU? It’s not a level playing field. Two ACC teams counting ND and that conference is the 2nd worst ahead of the Pac12.

Is Georgia one of the best 4 teams? yup...
Does a 2 loss team get a spot? nope........

Reactions: shields
2 teams from the same conference should never be in the playoffs. Putting two SEC teams like last year turned the playoffs into another beauty pageant.

Sorry - ND can say what they want about being "independent"........ they use and abuse the ACC and then don't have to play a conference championship......

While I'm glad they play Clemson next, that match-up should have been yesterday for ONE spot in the CFP....

They do NOT belong..... period. There are 10 D1 conferences in this country and I refuse to allow the SEC to be the "dominant" one just because ESPN tells you so. It's like the brainwashed minions on Scarlet Report that follow B Dohn like he is a God...... and Immediately trash any positive mentioned about Todderick Hunt. Trust me.... Todderick has a far superior eye regarding talent.

My feeling is if you don't win your conference you don't belong in the playoff.
A few years ago (and probably since then) Saban or some other SEC moron - it might've been Meyer back when he was at Florida - said, "it's easier to win the National Championship than the SEC Championship," and in a sense he was correct since you actually have to win the SEC title game to win the conference, and Alabama proved that you can avoid that game altogether and still - somehow, inexplicably - win the so-called, not-really National Championship.

Reactions: motorb54
For years the SEC has been getting by on perception alone. They are Alabama and a bunch of decent teams but not world beaters. Teams like LSU, Georgia etc would finish 3rd or 4th in our division.

Georgia has no argument for being in the playoff, Alabama would have gotten in though if they had lost.

For years the SEC has been getting by on perception alone. They are Alabama and a bunch of decent teams but not world beaters. Teams like LSU, Georgia etc would finish 3rd or 4th in our division.

You could say the exact same thing about the B1G...it's OSU and a bunch of decent teams...

Who did Michigan or PSU beat this year to proclaim that Georgia and LSU are vastly inferior? All those blue bloods have the same 4/5 star rosters...

I actually think 6 is the way to go. The 5 champions of the P5 conferences and the next best team. Give the top 2 seeds a bye.

Reactions: rurx1228
I actually think 6 is the way to go. The 5 champions of the P5 conferences and the next best team. Give the top 2 seeds a bye.
I am not a fan of giving a crap team that wins the conference a free invitation. The PAC12 is terrible. Besides Clemson the ACC is awful.

Does winning your conference championship mean anything?
Oklahoma and OSU could be outside looking in. ESPN hacks are already writing the narrative Alabama and Georgia being in playoffs.
My confidence in playoffs are waning by thread.

But GA v OH st is probably the best game out of the top 6

Crap teams generally do not win P5 conference championships.
Somebody has to win it and sometimes it's not nearly a good team. The PAC12 has real issues and the quality of their teams isn't very good.

The 8 team playoff would be ridiculous. 3 weeks of surviving brutality?

This would give the advantage to elite teams as they are the only ones that have depth to make it through that many post season games.

Look at UCF. One player down and their team is a shell of it self. Bama loses their QB, they insert the next 5 star backup. (See: Yesterday)

Lets not forger we are Rutgers. Even when we were good if Ray Rice was out we would be doomed those years.

4 teams is fine. You had an entire season to prove yourself. If you had 8 teams people would be crying for a 16 team playoff.

A shell of itself? Pay attention. UCF scored 56 points with their backup QB. No, I don't think they should be in, but please don't say something patently untrue.

Pete Thamel doesnt know jack.

Big Ten Commissioner Delaney sets the record straight.
"In a text message exchange with Nicole Auerbach of The Athletic, Delany reiterated that he felt no need to push for an eight-team playoff that would give his teams -- in this case, Ohio State -- a better chance to be included in the postseason."
More talk of 8 team playoffs. Article is behind pay wall but twitter quotes from same reporter you mention.

Nicole Auerbach‏Verified account@NicoleAuerbach 2h2 hours ago
EXCLUSIVE: Major college football power brokers like Bob Bowlsby, Barry Alvarez and Gordon Gee tell @TheAthleticCFB that it's time to start talking about an eight-team playoff. As soon as 2020? It's possible:

Nicole Auerbach‏Verified account@NicoleAuerbach 2h2 hours ago
The eight-team Playoff format that Barry Alvarez and others support includes on-campus quarterfinals + a designated Group of Five champion spot. "UCF should have that opportunity."

Stewart Mandel‏Verified account@slmandel 2h2 hours ago
EXCLUSIVE: Fed up with SEC favoritism and UCF's treatment, some important commissioners, presidents and ADs are ready to talk 8-team playoff. Here's @NicoleAuerbach's report.

The Athletic CFB‏Verified account@TheAthleticCFB 2h2 hours ago
College football leaders are ready to discuss eight-team Playoff. "We don’t need to wait another six years." Exclusive story from @NicoleAuerbach:

But also this from an SEC AD:

Brett McMurphy‏Verified account@Brett_McMurphy 26m26 minutes ago
Brett McMurphy Retweeted Nicole Auerbach

Would have to end conference title games. I asked an SEC AD, what percent chance there is SEC would end title game for 8-team playoff: “Less than zero”

As soon as 2020? It's possible
Didn't have to look far for the bullcrap line.
The possibility of an 8 team playoff in 2020 is ZERO. The earliest it could happen is 2026.

As soon as 2020? It's possible
Didn't have to look far for the bullcrap line.
The possibility of an 8 team playoff in 2020 is ZERO. The earliest it could happen is 2026.
I'm not saying when or anything....I'm just saying the stuff is out there and it's being discussed by admins in the sport. The only I've said is I think it will happen eventually when that is I cannot say.

I'm not saying when or anything....I'm just saying the stuff is out there and it's being discussed by admins in the sport. The only I've said is I think it will happen eventually when that is I cannot say.
But the stuff that is out there is complete BS. Anyone saying that they are hearing it could happen in 2020 is making crap up.

But the stuff that is out there is complete BS. Anyone saying that they are hearing it could happen in 2020 is making crap up.
I can't read the article so I don't know but I'm assuming she and others must be getting info from the admins or tv people they talk to....besides they don't say it will happen in 2020 only that it could and one tv person in one these tweets/reports mentioned that it wouldn't be out of the question for a lookin midway through a deal and that's when something like that could be discussed.

I can't read the article so I don't know but I'm assuming she and others must be getting info from the admins or tv people they talk to....besides they don't say it will happen in 2020 only that it could and one tv person in one these tweets/reports mentioned that it wouldn't be out of the question for a lookin midway through a deal and that's when something like that could be discussed.
There is no look in, everyone should know that. Just a 12 year deal with ESPN. No outs. This is just a bunch of reporters creating content. If they are getting this directly from ADs or college Presidents than its worthless info.

"Multiple influential college football people quoted in a story published Wednesday in The Athletic think discussions regarding a playoff expansion will happen sooner, rather than later. Those people include Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby."

https://sports.yahoo.com/big-12-com...nding-college-football-playoff-160802776.html
Where does the writer get "fairly soon" from those comments?
Anyway. ESPN isn't reporting that they are willing to rip up the contract, a monopoly on the playoffs, anytime soon. It is a gold mine for them.

ADVERTISEMENT