ADVERTISEMENT

Does 2 loss Georgia belong in Playoffs?

There is no look in, everyone should know that. Just a 12 year deal with ESPN. No outs. This is just a bunch of reporters creating content. If they are getting this directly from ADs or college Presidents than its worthless info.

Yes, I'm sure ESPN will be so upset that they would get first dibbs on the rights to televise four more of the most watched games each season. There is no such thing as a contract that can't be renegotiated.

Yes, I'm sure ESPN will be so upset that they would get first dibbs on the rights to televise four more of the most watched games each season. There is no such thing as a contract that can't be renegotiated.
You think the other college football networks will sit on there hands and let them take games away from them?
We have been through this before with the BCS. Everyone crying to expand. Did it happen, yes. But not a second before the contract ran out.

You think the other college football networks will sit on there hands and let them take games away from them?
We have been through this before with the BCS. Everyone crying to expand. Did it happen, yes. But not a second before the contract ran out.

What do you know about the specifics of the contract? ESPN's contract, as reported by ESPN, announced they have the rights for the Championship Game, Semi-final bowls, "Host" Bowls (the other 4 NY6 games), and Related programming (meaning the selection / playoff ranking shows). When a conference has added a Conference Championship Game in mid-contract, that game is sold to all potential buyers. What is preventing something similar in this instance?

What do you know about the specifics of the contract? ESPN's contract, as reported by ESPN, announced they have the rights for the Championship Game, Semi-final bowls, "Host" Bowls (the other 4 NY6 games), and Related programming (meaning the selection / playoff ranking shows). When a conference has added a Conference Championship Game in mid-contract, that game is sold to all potential buyers. What is preventing something similar in this instance?
They have the top 4 teams from the voting in the semis and the winners in the finals.
This isn't adding a new bowl or Conference Championship which is seperate from the playoffs. This is changing the playoffs dramatically and their contract.

They have the top 4 teams from the voting in the semis and the winners in the finals.
This isn't adding a new bowl or Conference Championship which is seperate from the playoffs. This is changing the playoffs dramatically and their contract.

Their contract would remain unchanged. They would still have the exclusive broadcast rights for the NY6 Bowls and the Championship Game as well as the ratings / selection shows. Perhaps I'm ignorant, but I don't see how this is different than adding a conference championship game mid-contract. Wouldn't that have at least as much impact on the conference's TV deal since the regular season no longer determines a conference champion?

Their contract would remain unchanged. They would still have the exclusive broadcast rights for the NY6 Bowls and the Championship Game as well as the ratings / selection shows. Perhaps I'm ignorant, but I don't see how this is different than adding a conference championship game mid-contract. Wouldn't that have at least as much impact on the conference's TV deal since the regular season no longer determines a conference champion?
No the contract would have to change. First going to 8 teams would require 7 bowls. Second two bowls would have to move the date to the weekend after NYD if they want to stay in the semi or Final round. I don't see the Rose Bowl moving permanently away from NYD or becoming a quarter round site.
The other networks would be pissed as you are adding value to ESPN and removing possible good teams from their lineup.

I think change will come after 2025. It may take the college Presidents that long to give up on the bowl system which is their biggest roadblock

This only works if they get rid of them play round one on Championship Saturday.
I don’t know if there is an acceptable way that keeps the champ games but if not I figure enough money will get people to change their tunes sooner or later. If not ESPN then maybe Fox or maybe both just like they have for conference rights.

I don’t know if there is an acceptable way that keeps the champ games but if not I figure enough money will get people to change their tunes sooner or later. If not ESPN then maybe Fox or maybe both just like they have for conference rights.
Unfortunately the Presidents, except Barchi, love the Bowl system. And screwing it up will be a hard sell. Going from 2 to 4 was allowed as long as there would be no changes for the length of this contract because it saved the Bowl system. Too many right now but the side benefits are geared towards free trips, golf outings, parties...

No. 2 loses, not a conference championship winner.
It is what it is but let me say this Georgia will beat Bama if they use all of their playmakers. That mean having a package for their back up QB (J.Fields), a State Penn decommit.

You know something else just occurred to me that would be nice to see if/when it goes to an 8 team playoff and if the first round is held at campus stadiums as proposed.....we may finally see southern teams have to come up north and actually play in cold and possibly wintery weather. As a one time Raider fan I know it was no picnic to travel to cold weather places late in the year. I’ve been wanting to see that for awhile and regular scheduling would never accomodate it but this could bring about those instances. So that plus the Cinderella effect of a G5 would be nice bonuses to see.

They can keep the conference championship games and play the first round at campus sites on Army/Navy/Heisman Saturday.

Getting agreement from the conference will be the difficult part. The contract is probably the smallest hurdle of all.

Personally, I think they will first change how teams for the playoff are considered before going to 8. The committee is different people each year and comes up with different reasons and logic so there are never the same standards year to year. And they don't really consider overall strength of schedule in a manner that would encourage the tougher OOC games.

Delany commenting too now.

The Athletic CFB‏Verified account@TheAthleticCFB 3h3 hours ago
NEW from ⁦@NicoleAuerbach: ⁩ Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany joins chorus of leaders ready to explore College Football Playoff expansion.

Nicole Auerbach‏Verified account@NicoleAuerbach 3h3 hours ago
One of the most powerful people in college sports is now pushing for College Football Playoff expansion. He's the second Power Five commissioner in a week to tell me it's time to talk expansion: https://theathletic.com/719675/2018/12/18/college-football-playoff-expansion-conversations-jim-delany-big-ten/… (plus a number of relevant ADs, including Texas's Del Conte)

Stewart Mandel‏Verified account@slmandel 3h3 hours ago
EXCLUSIVE: Jim Delany tells @NicoleAuerbach the Big Ten is ready to start talking eight-team playoff.

Stewart Mandel‏Verified account@slmandel 3h3 hours ago
Needless to say, the fact that Delany -- who for years fought against any playoff -- is now open to expansion is a major development.

Nicole Auerbach‏Verified account@NicoleAuerbach 3h3 hours ago
NEW: Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany told me he wants to have serious conversations about College Football Playoff expansion — now. "The Big Ten would be happy to discuss structure issues with colleagues. It's probably a good idea." On @TheAthleticCFB:

Bruce Feldman‏Verified account@BruceFeldmanCFB 3h3 hours ago
The Big Ten commish is one of the most powerful people in college sports. Jim Delany saying on the record that it's "a good idea" to talk about expanding the CFP is a big deal. Good scoop by @NicoleAuerbach:

They can keep the conference championship games and play the first round at campus sites on Army/Navy/Heisman Saturday.

Getting agreement from the conference will be the difficult part. The contract is probably the smallest hurdle of all.

Personally, I think they will first change how teams for the playoff are considered before going to 8. The committee is different people each year and comes up with different reasons and logic so there are never the same standards year to year. And they don't really consider overall strength of schedule in a manner that would encourage the tougher OOC games.

They should move to a standardized formula for evaluating and ranking the teams for the playoffs.
Something that will remove the inherent bias that different people in the committee have.
Then you have a repeatable process year over year and everyone knows the rules from the beginning.

This seems like something that could work: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BCS_National_Championship_Game

Brett McMurphy‏Verified account@Brett_McMurphy 2h2 hours ago
In a survey of all 11 members of @CFBPlayoff Management Committee, @WatchStadium asked members if they favored 8-team playoff: 3 yes, 3 undecided, 1 no & 4 abstained. This is a huge change from last year when committee unanimously wanted to stay at 4 teams

The committee he is referencing is the 10 conference commissioners (5 Power 5, 5 Group of 5) and Notre Dame's Athletic Director.

Brett McMurphy‏Verified account@Brett_McMurphy 2h2 hours ago
In a survey of all 11 members of @CFBPlayoff Management Committee, @WatchStadium asked members if they favored 8-team playoff: 3 yes, 3 undecided, 1 no & 4 abstained. This is a huge change from last year when committee unanimously wanted to stay at 4 teams

The committee he is referencing is the 10 conference commissioners (5 Power 5, 5 Group of 5) and Notre Dame's Athletic Director.
Yup and that's better than the committee that picks the teams because that's just a mish mash of people from the sport...these are actually people with some influence and power to push things towards that direction. You can feel the baby steps taking place though is my point from unanimous no to only 1 no and others yes or more open. How long it takes before it happens who knows but you can feel the movement, be it glacial or not, happening.

ADVERTISEMENT