ADVERTISEMENT

Does Geo Start Tonight

richthedentist

All American
Gold Member
Aug 2, 2001
I say he definitely should; I would start the lineup which played the last 12 minutes of the game Sunday;
Geo
Caleb
Harper
Yeboah
Johnson with Montez first off the bench

We need to start fast and have not done this at all the last 5-6 games

Reactions: satnom
I say he definitely should; I would start the lineup which played the last 12 minutes of the game Sunday;
Geo
Caleb
Harper
Yeboah
Johnson with Montez first off the bench

We need to start fast and have not done this at all the last 5-6 games

Montez has been the best start of the game player on the team for the last two months and you want him to sit? Not going to happen.

If anyone is replaced in the starting lineup I'd expect it to be Caleb, but I'm not sure that will happen.

Coach has talked often about how he cares about minutes, not starters. He mentioned that starting matters more to certain kids, though, and that he is aware of that.

After Baker's reemergence, I'd completely understand if we went back to Baker/Mathis/Harper/Yeboah/Johnson.... but I think I'd want to see another game of him back in form before making that switch.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
Montez has been the best start of the game player on the team for the last two months and you want him to sit? Not going to happen.

If anyone is replaced in the starting lineup I'd expect it to be Caleb, but I'm not sure that will happen.

Coach has talked often about how he cares about minutes, not starters. He mentioned that starting matters more to certain kids, though, and that he is aware of that.
He barely played Montez in the second half against Northwestern and even sat him on favor of Mulcahy which I thought was absolutely crazy

Reactions: runner3283
I don't think Geo or Caleb really care about starting. That being said, Geo is the face of the program, the real go-to guy on the team, and I'd start him.

Counterpoint: this is an unusual team, and extremely balanced, so why not be weird and have best player coming off the bench.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
He should replace Harper imo. Give Ron a bit of a wake up call and hopefully get out of his funk.
Hadn't considered this but not the worst option. Have some scoring off the bench.

The problem if Mathis goes to the bench is possibly bringing him and Young in together might be a struggle in the half court. Although it would be interesting to see Pike go with a high pressure defensive lock down lineup

Harper had a couple near misses and Geo being back might take some pressure off him. Could easily see this being his breakout game from his slump

[QUOTE="xkiesterx, post: 4385394, member: 2038"]Montez has been the best start of the game player on the team for the last two months and you want him to sit? Not going to happen.

Coach has talked often about how he cares about minutes, not starters. He mentioned that starting matters more to certain kids, though, and that he is aware of that.[/QUOTE]

This

Against NW, Geo's re-break-out game, he started slow. For me that's a reason to start him. Get him warmed up ASAP, not coming in cold against players already in the game flow. My starting 5 would be Baker/Mathis/Yeboah/Harper/Johnson. I could be convinced to swap Harper for McConnell.

Also, I don't think Young and Mathis are good on the floor together. They both play the same game, forcing the issue. Split them up and make sure that one of Baker or McConnell are on the floor to balance one of Mathis/Young.

Against NW, Geo's re-break-out game, he started slow. For me that's a reason to start him. Get him warmed up ASAP, not coming in cold against players already in the game flow. My starting 5 would be Baker/Mathis/Yeboah/Harper/Johnson. I could be convinced to swap Harper for McConnell.

Also, I don't think Young and Mathis are good on the floor together. They both play the same game, forcing the issue. Split them up and make sure that one of Baker or McConnell are on the floor to balance one of Mathis/Young.

I agree with this entire post.

Geo
Montez
Harper
Yeboah
Johnson with Caleb first off the bench.
Caleb has been really asserting himself on offense lately. I say let him come off the bench and let him loose.
Montez definitely has been a spark plug start of our games lately...

Reactions: gregkoko
What I like about Caleb with Geo is he is our best shooter and when Geo breaks down the defense it gives him someone to pass to for the open shot when the defense comes to help out on Geo

Reactions: Scangg
He should replace Harper imo. Give Ron a bit of a wake up call and hopefully get out of his funk.
I kinda agree.. but at the end Harper seemed to turn it on.. maybe he flipped a switch too.

Geo
Montez
Harper
Yeboah
CARTER (not because Johnson doesn't deserve it, but because that would throw a wrinkle into the OBVIOUS plan to get a quick foul on Myles)

1st sub..

Johnson, Caleb and Young for Carter, Harper, Montez

That makes 2nd roster..
Geo
Young
Caleb
Yeboah
Johnson

RUN with these guys in...

Next sub..

PM, Harper, Montez for Geo, Yeboah, Young

PM
Montez
Caleb
Harper
Johnson

somewhere in there should be a big TV timeout.. giving everyone a blow... then goto starting lineup with Myles in there..

Last edited:
Reactions: Scangg
I kinda agree.. but at the end Harper seemed to turn it on.. maybe he flipped a switch too.
Minds wish he sent that message earlier bc it does seem like Ron is about to wake up. I'd have to check but my gut feel is that Ron has had some big away games.

Actually curious to see what the entire team's home road splits are if any of the stat experts on here have easy access to that data

ADVERTISEMENT