ADVERTISEMENT

Does Pike have what it takes to make tough decisions

You are losing your grip on reality. Mag went down , changed how we play , then our point guard has had the worst stretch for a senior that I can remember as he clearly cost the game tonight ,, almost cost Penn State , cost us Indiana , decided to become Ben Simmons but with multiple turnovers.
You talk recruiting for 2023 and Pike is bringing in Griffiths , could be the best shooter in the country to team with Cam. You are bringing in Lamichael Davis , ACE’s teammate having a real good year and a fast point guard to play with Derek. And Baye Ndongo , who is a skilled 6’9 guy that can dribble , drive, shoot , play defense and shot block , who will play a ton with Mag. We have not even gotten to 2024 which you do not want to talk about. Not sure if Cliff comes back but if he does , that seems like some good improvement especially offensively.
Your post should be centered on Paul’s regression that is now costing us games , the failure of the upperclassman in general in all our losses except Temple , where everyone of them Paul , Hyatt Cliff Caleb and Cam have in multiple games not played up to their capabilities. If the players who have had bad bad games only had average games we have 3-4 more wins.
Paul hasn't regressed in my mind. He has always been a extremely un-clutch player. Almost lost the game vs Indiana last year when Paul couldn't keep his cool. Almost lost the Penn State game last year when he turned the ball over inbounding the ball. Lost the Notre Dame game because of similar turnover inbounding the ball. Paul is the type of player who will lose you games much more then win you games and history backs this up

Reactions: tm_nj and FLKnight
Paul hasn't regressed in my mind. He has always been a extremely un-clutch player. Almost lost the game vs Indiana last year when Paul couldn't keep his cool. Almost lost the Penn State game last year when he turned the ball over inbounding the ball. Lost the Notre Dame game because of similar turnover inbounding the ball. Paul is the type of player who will lose you games much more then win you games and history backs this up
What about his play not during crunch time?

There used to be games Paul was dominate. We haven't seen that Paul since second half MSU

I also think people like @Scangg and @FinalFourOrBust need to check their expectations for the 24-25 season or set themselves up for disappointment. 4* and 5* freshman are still freshman. And they dont just dominate the conference on day 1. @Geo_Baker_1 talked about this on his pod. How the upperclassmen have such an advantage and why they never blinked against 5* frosh they faced.
But that theory was debunked last night. Our upperclassmen blinked too many damn times against the bottom team in the league teeming with sub 5* freshman.

This team has sucked in Feb/Mar and does not deserve the Tournament. Only one I feel sorry for is McConnell. Give the coach an early extension and watch what happens.

Ok. Ignore his 4-5 game double digit scoring surge last year against ranked teams that essentially got us back in the dance and ignore his leading the BIg 10 in assists as a needed second ball handler to Geo. Yes he would have the dumb or un clutch turnover inbounding or over passing but he didn’t have to shoot as often because we had Ron and Geo and Jacob Young before that. Now for part of the year he has turned into Ben Simmons but has added the turnovers. His last month with the exception of the Second half of MSU has been a disaster and not the player you saw last year or the year before. Which is mind boggling because he is a senior.

I'm more concerned with us missing the tourny having an effect on the recruiting class. What if guys start jumping ship?

My concern is thinking back to the OSU game and getting our hearts ripped out then from the buzzer beater. We DID NOT recover by the time we played SHU on Sunday and lost in despicable fashion.
This team better dig deep and come out from the onset with a fire under their ass to win!!

He’s on the verge of making his 4th straight ncaa tourney (something like only 15 schools can say) with mostly 3 star recruits. Now he’s bringing in 4s and 5s. We really do have the dumbest fanbase.
Covid did not make it
In tournament
Play in game not the field
Out
1 out of 4
Tough decisions need to be made is a fair point

• Haha
Reactions: Scangg
I totally agree with you. However most here dont. People will point to where RU was prior to pike. The bar was buried, not a high bar to exceed. We now have a top 25 highest paid HC, a top 10 facility and a top 5 home court in the nation. The ceiling should be higher
Agree 100 percent! Fan base has to raise its standards .

A lot of shit needed to go wrong in order for us to miss the tournament this year..

We were in the 300s in luck in Kenpom/Torvik even before Mag’s injury because we played great when we didn’t need to (blowing out Wake, all the cupcakes, PSU, etc) and then losing close to SHU for example.

Key injuries for Temple (Simpson running PG way before he is ready)

Mag injury

OSU debacle

Minnesota.. we made plenty of mistakes down the stretch but they still had to go crazy and make 6 consecutive threes to beat us. Give them credit

On top of all that we still had to get kind of screwed by the committee not to make it

The fan base standards are everything. We have the collective power to impact change. Pike set the standard just saying let’s hold him to it.
The only change would be firing him. That’s a dumb idea. So.. what you have left is how angry you decide to sound on the message boards. I promise you that has 0% impact on anything.

Reactions: cm_13
The only change would be firing him. That’s a dumb idea. So.. what you have left is how angry you decide to sound on the message boards. I promise you that has 0% impact on anything.
Oh I agree message boards rants are useless. Not saying we fire him but I am saying we let him and Hobbs know this let down is unacceptable.

Oh I agree message boards rants are useless. Not saying we fire him but I am saying we let him and Hobbs know this let down is unacceptable.

Why are you wasting your time here ranting when you believe its useless? What is stopping you from reaching out to Pike and Hobbs? There are also other direct interaction means such as Court Club meetings.

ADVERTISEMENT