ADVERTISEMENT

Don't forget to watch March of the Wooden Soliders on Thursday

Our Gang :
6417fddbc97a692659081106f596233c--darla-hood-alfalfa.jpg

Look how huge and high those old fashioned balloons are. Not like today they are barely off the ground and small.

Reactions: bac2therac
Look how huge and high those old fashioned balloons are. Not like today they are barely off the ground and small.
Since the big accident in 1997 where the Cat in the Hat hit a lamp post and severey injured a spectator, size restrictions were put into place. The balloons prior to that were crazy big. My favorite, most impressed, all time was the last Superman. Instead of standing up like the 1940 one, this one had him flying. He seemed to be almost a block long. That balloon also had an accident near Central Park getting stuck in a tree in the mid 80s.

That movie creeped me out as a kid....almost as much as the child-catcher in the "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" movie.

Since the big accident in 1997 where the Cat in the Hat hit a lamp post and severey injured a spectator, size restrictions were put into place. The balloons prior to that were crazy big. My favorite, most impressed, all time was the last Superman. Instead of standing up like the 1940 one, this one had him flying. He seemed to be almost a block long. That balloon also had an accident near Central Park getting stuck in a tree in the mid 80s.
I think computer designed balloons could get the size without needless "lift" and make the balloons larger AND still manageable by people holding lines. They should revisit the size restrictions and think about deign for flexibility and just enough lift to get it up for the parade.

Example: Imagine that superman balloon as 2-3 balloons.. a top and bottom joined by a relatively empty "waist".. it could turn around corners, not hit light poles or trees and still look huge once on the straight-away.

Last edited:
One of the best ways to start off Turkey Day...the tradition continues on Channel 11 WPIX with showings at 9AM and 3PM. A Honeymooners marathon will run in between.

Thanks for posting.
March of Wooden Soldiers is epic. Best to watch in the original B&W format. Will adijust my TV if needed.

Use to watch the Iona vs. New Rochelle High School football game.

used to watch the HS games too for many years...Aubrey Lewis on the call...

NEVER miss the Soldiers......

March of the Wooden Soldiers works much better for me as a Christmas movie, even though it is set in summer.

BTW, the actor who played the villain Barnaby was only 23 at the time. They made him up to look old.

March of the Wooden soldiers ?

Is this a metaphor for our offense on Saturday ?

THAT'S IT !!!!! Somebody forgot to push those big buttons on their backs!
Maybe we should load up our cannon with darts to shoot the MSU players?

The March of the Wooden Soldiers use to be on The Million Dollar movie on channel 9 and ran for a week when I was a kid. That is how old I am.

ADVERTISEMENT