ADVERTISEMENT

Douby Induction in HOF

QD was a one-man wrecking crew who could dribble, pass, shoot, score and defend. He often put the team on his back and single-handedly carried the team to victory. His junior year was ridiculous. Dude totally deserves his induction to the HOF.

Reactions: Scangg
Quincy was the man. He did it all at RU. He was really special. Congratulations to Quincy for getting inducted into the HOF.

QD was a one-man wrecking crew who could dribble, pass, shoot, score and defend. He often put the team on his back and single-handedly carried the team to victory. His junior year was ridiculous. Dude totally deserves his induction to the HOF.
Douby shooting performance at Syracuse was incredible and Beiheim gave high praise after the game.Rutgers badly needs a scoring threat like Douby to lead the team to success in the B1G.

Jerry Carino had a good article . Mentions Hinson in article but John Battle was damn good. Also had longer career in NBA than Quincy. John was in NBA for ten years. Douby had fantastic range though.

There was a Quincy Douby song as well. It was kind of neat. I think I have it on an audio tape some where.

My best RU bball memories involve him, he played while I was in school. I hope he's at the football game and they put him on the screen. Maybe I'll dig my I Douby-lieve t shirt out!

Here's to adding many more great RU Bball moments soon too!

Some of his shots were so far out they should have been worth 4 . A beautiful player to watch. Thank you sir may we have another?

Reactions: hbr1103

Sorry, he was a poor defender.

Retire #5

1st round pick, led BE in scoring, best player in 20+ years...other schools have retired for less.

Reactions: Unionst
He's gotta graduate first, essentially a done deal after that.

That said, he's working towards his degree while playing overseas...So it won't be long now!

Well, I’m a little confused. He’s in the HOF at RUTGERS but he hasn’t graduated yet? “Essentially done”?
Don’t get me wrong , great guy, deserving of the honor, but “gotta graduate first “? Wow...

Well, I’m a little confused. He’s in the HOF at RUTGERS but he hasn’t graduated yet? “Essentially done”?
Don’t get me wrong , great guy, deserving of the honor, but “gotta graduate first “? Wow...
Do not need to be a graduate of Rutgers to enter the Athletics HOF...

You do to have your number retired...

Seems pretty simple to me

Reactions: S.W.A.I.N

He did leave after his junior year to play in the NBA

I

That said, he's working towards his degree while playing overseas...So it won't be long now!
thought you had to be a first team all American to have your jersey retired. He would be the first man or women to not fit that criteria.

Last edited:

I was confused about you saying that “ he’s got to graduate first, essentially a done deal after that”
I’m thinking he is already in, doesn’t have to graduate. Great that he will be though...

I

thought you had to be a first team all American to have your jersey retired. He would be the first man or women to to not fit that criteria.
My understanding was that you had to be at least third team All America by the criteria put into place some 25-30 years ago. I think Bailey only got third team.

Sorry, Quincy was awesome especially his high scoring junior (final) season but retire his number? No. If you’re going to blow up what I think was a good minimum standard then let’s start talking about guys like Roy Hinson first. And, frankly, the three that have the honor now are right and appropriate. Douby is in the HoF where he belongs and that is a great honor already.

Last edited:
Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
My understanding was that you had to be at least third team All America by the criteria put into place some 25-30 years ago. I think Bailey only got third team.

Sorry, Quincy was awesome especially his high scoring junior (final) season but retire his number? No. If you’re going to blow up what I think was a good minimum standard then let’s start talking about guys like Roy Hinson first. And, frankly, the three that have the honor now are right and appropriate. Douby is in the HoF where he belongs and that is a great honor already.
I just looked it up, after his Junior season Bailey was second team AA from the UPI. The best he did after his Senior season was 4th team. Sellers also was only second team, but Bobby did make first team in 1967 . I stand corrected.

I thought Sellers was 1st team on one service but don’t know exactly. In any event, way up there. And only 5 guys on a team not the 1st team all conference lists now with like 10 guys on them.

Sellers made First Team Associated Press All American. I believe I still have the article in a scrapbook I have of the 75-76 season. It is hard to believe that Bailey didn't do better than 4th team AA after his senior season. That could be true but I seem to remember that he was like the 6th pick in the NBA draft.
Colonel is correct.

I also just checked James Bailey'

He did make UPI 2nd team in 1978 as a junior. In his senior year of 1979 he made 3rd team UPI and 4th team NABC. He was the #6 pick by the Seattle Supersonics in the 1979 NBA draft.

As to Bob Lloyd. He made the following in 1967.

1st team Concensus All American (7 made the first team. possibly ties)
1st team UPI All American.
2nd team AP All American.
1st team USBWA All American (10 on the first team).
2nd team NABC All American.

All of this can be found under google. Wikipedia lists all of these All American teams for every season.

I also just checked James Bailey'

He did make UPI 2nd team in 1978 as a junior. In his senior year of 1979 he made 3rd team UPI and 4th team NABC. He was the #6 pick by the Seattle Supersonics in the 1979 NBA draft.

As to Bob Lloyd. He made the following in 1967.

1st team Concensus All American (7 made the first team. possibly ties)
1st team UPI All American.
2nd team AP All American.
1st team USBWA All American (10 on the first team).
2nd team NABC All American.

All of this can be found under google. Wikipedia lists all of these All American teams for every season.
True. When I said Sellers was second team, I was using the consensus All American team on Wikepedia.

I also think Roy should be retired...they are the two. In fact I would argue that’s our all time starting 5.
Sentimental would be me saying Geoff Billet. Douby was GREAT! And the fact that BK says it’s in the works is all the validation I need!

I think Duke retired Cherokee Parks...
That's asinine! If we retire Douby than we have to also retire Hinson and Battle (if not already). Douby had only one off the charts year. Hell, so did Riggins! Retire his jersey too?

Argue about semantics all you want...

As much as I love all the guys that have passed thru here, QD was a first round NBA draft choice for a program that doesn't exactly grow them on trees. Check all the references you need to name the last one, and how long ago that was.

Retiring his 5 would be the right thing to do when he's eligible in my opinion. He's THE face of the program over the past 25 years.

And oh, he was an All American following his junior season playing for an average team in the toughest league in America

Quincy left and the next year a different player wore #5 and he ended up getting drafted and playing in the NBA. He was named defensive player of the year in the Big East. I saw he is still playing professional basketball.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Argue about semantics all you want...

As much as I love all the guys that have passed thru here, QD was a first round NBA draft choice for a program that doesn't exactly grow them on trees. Check all the references you need to name the last one, and how long ago that was.

Retiring his 5 would be the right thing to do when he's eligible in my opinion. J He's THE face of the program over the past 25 years.

And oh, he was an All American following his junior season playing for an average team in the toughest league in America
Roy Hinson was a four year starter and star on the last Rutgers team to win an NCAA (48 team field) game and was a first round NBA pick. And ask anyone who saw them both at RU and they’d say Roy was not in the same league as Jammin’ James. The three who have retired numbers unquestionably deserve it but because Quincy lit it up in era of long Rutgers hoops darkness doesn’t make him a more deserving candidate than those that were part of winning programs. To the contrary. Guys like Eddie Jordan, Hollis Copeland, Mike Dabney, John Battle, and Keith Hughes were part of winning teams and received a lot of accolades but like Quincy they were never acknowledged as 1st, 2nd, or 3rd team all America like Bailey, Lloyd, and Sellers.

I’m a Yankee fan. Do I have a problem honoring a Ron Guidry with the equivalent of a team hall of fame with a plaque in monument park? No, but retiring his number along side the likes of Ruth and Gehrig just cheapens both honors.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Roy Hinson was a four year starter and star on the last Rutgers team to win an NCAA (48 team field) game and was a first round NBA pick. And ask anyone who saw them both at RU and they’d say Roy was not in the same league as Jammin’ James. The three who have retired numbers unquestionably deserve it but because Quincy lit it up in era of long Rutgers hoops darkness doesn’t make him a more deserving candidate than those that were part of winning programs. To the contrary. Guys like Eddie Jordan, Hollis Copeland, Mike Dabney, John Battle, and Keith Hughes were part of winning teams and received a lot of accolades but like Quincy they were never acknowledged as 1st, 2nd, or 3rd team all America like Bailey, Lloyd, and Sellers.

I’m a Yankee fan. Do I have a problem honoring a Ron Guidry with the equivalent of a team hall of fame with a plaque in monument park? No, but retiring his number along side the likes of Ruth and Gehrig just cheapens both honors.
Excellent post.

ADVERTISEMENT