ADVERTISEMENT

Dr Fauci States That Students Probably Won't Return To Campuses For Fall Semester

Purdue has already stated that students will return. They will start a week earlier, have no fall break, and then once students go home for Thanksgiving, they won’t return for the 2 weeks between then and winter break, so finals will be online. Fauci is doing all he can to stay relevant, he’s basically writing in all caps and using exclamation points to try and sound important.

Purdue is run by a conservative stalwart...he’s trying to set an example for obvious reasons.

It’s sad that someone would honestly think that Fauci is “trying to stay relevant”, rather than trying to save lives.

clearly, conservative leadership decided that they are going to do the bare minimum to protect people, citing the idea that the bad economy can destroy lives.

you can agree with that or not, but it’s pretty dark to buy into the narrative pitched by the conservative merchants of doubt that Fauci is selfish in any way.

we know what selfish looks like - he’s in the Oval Office.

A couple weeks ago Fauci said that the “100,000-250,000” death toll predictions for the US were ridiculous, and we’d fall way below that. He said the number will end up around 60,000 by August. Well it’s May 12 and the toll in the US is now 80,000 .. guy is no better than any “analyst” on ESPN .. in fact I trust Lee Corso wearing a horned frog mask more

University of Florida is hosting Spring graduations on campus in late July. No official word yet about classes starting on campus in mid-August. They are doing plenty of promos and marketing for football tickets.

A couple weeks ago Fauci said that the “100,000-250,000” death toll predictions for the US were ridiculous, and we’d fall way below that. He said the number will end up around 60,000 by August. Well it’s May 12 and the toll in the US is now 80,000 .. guy is no better than any “analyst” on ESPN .. in fact I trust Lee Corso wearing a horned frog mask more
So you're saying he's sort of right about the threat in a roundabout way?

University of Florida is hosting Spring graduations on campus in late July. No official word yet about classes starting on campus in mid-August. They are doing plenty of promos and marketing for football tickets.
Florida? They’re still around?

I thought that Florida was supposed to basically be wiped out when they refused to follow the herd and completely shut down?

Tony Fauci lives off his past history and that comes with a number of questions... I get it...stability in this pandemic is key but from what we have seen from Dr. Fauci lends itself to too many conflicting views...the American public deserves more reliable guidance... Fauci’s protege Debra Birx doesn’t give me a warm fuzzy feeling either ...the problem is Dr. Fauci has been an appointed official in disease control for many years and under many different administrations... sorry but something is amiss with this screenplay...Do we not have others who might be better in giving directions without continuous vacillation ?

Purdue is run by a conservative stalwart...he’s trying to set an example for obvious reasons.

It’s sad that someone would honestly think that Fauci is “trying to stay relevant”, rather than trying to save lives.

clearly, conservative leadership decided that they are going to do the bare minimum to protect people, citing the idea that the bad economy can destroy lives.

you can agree with that or not, but it’s pretty dark to buy into the narrative pitched by the conservative merchants of doubt that Fauci is selfish in any way.

Daniels is generally competent. I have faith in his decision making and think he is one of the few that makes decisions without huge partisan bias.

Now he might be wrong but I don't think he is basing his decisions on political ideology

I would be shocked if students didn't return in September, unless there is a major flair up of infections before then. As a Doctor, Fauci is thinking of the best way for people to not get sick. And that is for everyone to not leave home for 10 years.

Again - Fauci is a smart man - and he knows a crapload more than I ever will about viruses and his opinion matters - but he doesn't get to make the rules.

other experts in other disciplines get to give their input as well..

that is how you craft policy.

Again - Fauci is a smart man - and he knows a crapload more than I ever will about viruses and his opinion matters - but he doesn't get to make the rules.

other experts in other disciplines get to give their input as well..

that is how you craft policy.

Fauci might be right, but he isn't the only expert on this subject.

Others have different opinions.

I think more need to be officially listened to besides Fauci

Fauci may be a very smart man and know more about viruses than anyone in the world, but as the poster boy for our nation's epidemiology task force, success and failure fall largely on his shoulders. His decisions regarding basic preparation, detection and prevention of CV-19 reek of a lack of common sense. Those three in of themselves are largely why this country is trying to dig itself out of a hole. Maybe he should keep his mug under the microscope where his worth is a known and proven commodity.

Reactions: knight82
The truth is, everyone is optimistic, but nobody actually knows.
Schools, camps, businesses -- all developing plans with to return to normal productivity while also (hopefully) keeping human safety in mind.

What this looks like, how it might need to be modified, how much time they'll have to modify things, I'm not sure anyone can say for sure.

If you work in one big office building, in NYC, are you going to have to wear a mask upon entering the building, and do something different when showing your badge at security. Will it be the same for the office building right next door? Are school districts going to adjust bus routes in some way, or require different seating arrangements, or drop-off only? Will the days and hours be shifted, or will everything be exactly the same? Summer camps that have kids that stay in camp and kids that travel out of camp and normally go to indoor water parks, or stay overnight at hotels and go to amusement parks -- how are they going to adjust? Will parents be satisfied that their kids are in a safe place altogether? Will everyone go back to normal and when people get sick and die, they get sick and die? What will be considered "virtual" work vs. work where you need to be on-site?

I don't think there is a correct or a wrong answer, at least at this point, but for now I would tend to trust what Fauci has to say over most others in the administration. And if there are other experts that are part of the discussion, I haven't seen any of them, other than at DT's publicity events where they're all kissing his a$$, so that doesn't quite count.

I got a kid going to college in the Fall - the school has communicated that they are doing everything possible to ready the campus, the buildings, the dorms, for normal school. Again, everyone is optimistic, and should be, but nobody really knows. There's a lot of work to do, in the meantime, and ongoing.

Sweden which kept everything open has a 33% higher rate of infection compared to US, more than 3x higher than Denmark which shut down everything right away
If we are trying to be scientific, we would control the statistics to account for the fact that Sweden has accepted a huge number of refugees (who would be more likely to have other underlying medical conditions) while Denmark has taken a hard line against that practice, but I guess that wouldn’t be politically correct.

Fauci may be a very smart man and know more about viruses than anyone in the world, but as the poster boy for our nation's epidemiology task force, success and failure fall largely on his shoulders. His decisions regarding basic preparation, detection and prevention of CV-19 reek of a lack of common sense. Those three in of themselves are largely why this country is trying to dig itself out of a hole. Maybe he should keep his mug under the microscope where his worth is a known and proven commodity.
Fauci appears to be the living embodiment of the old saying “to the man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail”.

You do realize Fauci didn’t or wasn’t able to make a lot of those “decisions” right? Or that some of his early recommendations or advice was actually shot down or dismissed.

I’m not saying the guy is perfect or hasn’t given bad advice...But he’s not the POTUS making the decisions..

he never said definitively to keep schools closed , he then handed it off to the admiral who said you can test everyone entering the college and that makes sense, also the infection rate may turn out to be very, very low by then , also so their monitoring and mitigation plans will be in effect

Reactions: skindawgs
geez as I said before some on these boards want us never to get back--why, could it be politics??

Reactions: bac2therac
If we are trying to be scientific, we would control the statistics to account for the fact that Sweden has accepted a huge number of refugees (who would be more likely to have other underlying medical conditions) while Denmark has taken a hard line against that practice, but I guess that wouldn’t be politically correct.
That is certainly true - almost 25% of Swedish population is made up of immigrants or children of immigrants, while Denmark is under 10%. Have no idea what percent of deaths in either country comes from immigrant populations. It may or may not skew the stats

That is certainly true - almost 25% of Swedish population is made up of immigrants or children of immigrants, while Denmark is under 10%. Have no idea what percent of deaths in either country comes from immigrant populations. It may or may not skew the stats
I don’t for sure either, but I am pretty confident that with what the average refugee had to go through in their country of origin, as well as the trip to reach asylum, they are likely to not be as healthy as the typical Scandinavian.

The presence of other underlying health conditions is the big indicator for bad outcomes in every country’s statistics I have seen.

I have no idea if campuses will be open in the fall, guessing some will and some won't. I do know that most of the students and incoming students I've spoken to are seriously considering a gap year rather than do a full semester online.

Reactions: RUaMoose
For a long time health experts were saying that people should not wear face coverings. Only when China reported in did they change their minds.

We have been told that we will be temperature scanned in the lobby, to limit any visitors, must wear masks, limits on elevators. Will keep door to my office closed and bring my lunch. Only leave my office to use the bathroom. I can walk from Penn Station (about 1 mile) to avoid subways. Biggest concern is the train and crowding in Penn Station (undergoing construction with limited entrances and exits). No word on when we will return, but I'd expect by mid-June. Hopefully our productivity working at home demonstrated that we can do this several times a month going forward. Who knows?

Reactions: redking
You do realize Fauci didn’t or wasn’t able to make a lot of those “decisions” right? Or that some of his early recommendations or advice was actually shot down or dismissed.

I’m not saying the guy is perfect or hasn’t given bad advice...But he’s not the POTUS making the decisions..

I know the decisions are not unilaterally made, however he is the poster child good or bad. And it didnt start off good at all. Look at the most recent dilemma, the department still doesn't wear masks. And oops! People close to the highest ups have Covid-19. Fauci in quarantine..why? No masks!

Some of you may think Fauci has an agenda. What could that possibly be? You don't think he's trying to say the right things based on the knowledge at his disposal, as opposed to outlandish statements, such as: It's only 15 cases and will soon be zero. Would that be better?

Interesting.

Some of you may think Fauci has an agenda. What could that possibly be? You don't think he's trying to say the right things based on the knowledge at his disposal, as opposed to outlandish statements, such as: It's only 15 cases and will soon be zero. Would that be better?
Stop the partisan BS... he did not say that...what he said is there would be no vaccine available for the term(Fall) but had confidence by 2021 we would since there are 8 vaccines in the works...we have all been guilty of that ... the way to success is cooperation from both opposing factions... do not expect that to happen...

I have a student at Purdue and have to say, Mitch Daniels putting a stake in the ground for opening campus for fall 20 semester landed on me with mixed feelings.

Here's the video he sent:

Reactions: RutHut
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT