ADVERTISEMENT

Dual 20 win seasons

BeKnighted

Heisman Winner
Jan 15, 2003
I saw that the men's team won its 20th regular season game for the first time since 1983, and of course the women won 20 regular season games as well, so I was curious what the last time both teams won 20 regular season games was. It looks like it was 1978-79 - 41 years ago. The men were 22-9 for the season, with what looks like 1 post-regular season win, and the women were 28-4, with 4 post-regular season wins. (The women's media guide is much better at splitting out conference tourney wins than the men's.)

The men's 22-9 season (James Bailey's senior year) included a first round NCAA victory over Georgetown, followed by a heartbreaking loss to St. John's, whom we had defeated twice that season, on Tobacco Road, denying us the chance to play Penn, Ivy champs, for a spot in the Final Four.

The women have had so many 20+ victory seasons that it's difficult to keep track but the last men's team to get 20 or more regular season wins was, IIRC, the 1982-3 season (Roy Hinson's senior year). What was the women's regular season record that year?

Reactions: MADHAT1
The women have had so many 20+ victory seasons that it's difficult to keep track but the last men's team to get 20 or more regular season wins was, IIRC, the 1982-3 season (Roy Hinson's senior year). What was the women's regular season record that year?

In 1982-83, the women were 19-10, 17-9 in the regular season and 2-1 in the A-10 tourney, with no postseason bid. (The year before, they won the last AIAW tourney.)

In 1982-83, the women were 19-10, 17-9 in the regular season and 2-1 in the A-10 tourney, with no postseason bid. (The year before, they won the last AIAW tourney.)

Thanks.

I hadn't realized that they had what for them is a mediocre season so soon after winning the AIAW championship.

BeKnighted

You should post this on the men's board as well. Great info on both programs. It's great to be a Scarlet Knight these days. I would love to see both teams have a deep run in the tournament.

I saw that the men's team won its 20th regular season game for the first time since 1983, and of course the women won 20 regular season games as well, so I was curious what the last time both teams won 20 regular season games was. It looks like it was 1978-79 - 41 years ago. The men were 22-9 for the season, with what looks like 1 post-regular season win, and the women were 28-4, with 4 post-regular season wins. (The women's media guide is much better at splitting out conference tourney wins than the men's.)
The State University of New Jersey should expect 20 win seasons for both teams every year. With all the athletic talent in our state, it is beyond pathetic that is has been so many years without reaching that goal.

ADVERTISEMENT