ADVERTISEMENT

Duke, the Rens, and Harper

RU72

All American
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2001
There is a strong move by Scheyer to package 3 Rens,Harper,Cunningham and Betsey. The good news is that previous Rens head,Andy Borman who is Coach K's nephew is now at Memphis as an assistant.He helped them get Flipowski,who will be a lottery pick this year. He could not convince RJ Davis,a Ren who became a Tar Heel. Also,note that Duke has perhaps the 3rd best recruiting class in history with the 2023 kids led by Mgbako and Power. It could happen with the 2024 group, but my money is on Duke getting one definitely in Cunningham and perhaps Betsey and Harper to Rutgers.

Last edited:
I did not know Borman was Coach K's nephew
Borman played 4 years at Duke (barely got in games).
It seems strange to me that more AAU teammates don't pick schools together. I guess if one did well while the other struggled, it could be tough, but you'd think having a friend at school with you would be huge.
They're 18-19 years old when they commit so maybe I'm attributing way too much influence to logical decision-making.

Reactions: dstrom21
There is a strong move by Scheyer to package 3 Rens,Harper,Cunningham and Betsey. The good news is that previous Rens head,Andy Borman who is Coach K's nephew is now at Memphis as an assistant.He helped them get Flipowski,who will be a lottery pick this year. He could not convince RJ Davis,a Ren who became a Tar Heel. Also,note that Duke has perhaps the 3rd best recruiting class in history with the 2023 kids led by Mgbako and Power. It could happen with the 2024 group, but my money is on Duke getting one definitely in Cunningham and perhaps Betsey and Harper to Rutgers.
Love your insights, but you need to clean up the punctuation. Are you saying Duke getting "one definitely in Cunningham and perhaps Betsey" or "and perhaps Betsey and Harper to Rutgers?"

I don't doubt his intel but recruiting is so fluid. We were the insider's favorites to get Kyle Lofton and Rueben Chinyelu within the past 8 months.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Let's clean it up.
A package is possible,but unlikely.
Cunningham is all NIL.
Harper leans Rutgers and it will not be an NIL decision.
Betsey leans Duke and it could be a partial NIL decision.

Let's clean it up.
Cunningham is all NIL.
Mars candy is here.
Can't we get some support for three Knights to endorse three musketeers??

Reactions: runrutgersrun
We lose these kids on the visits to the other schools. The arena has to get done. Ive been to a bunch of these campuses and im telling you, its a big deal. Purdue, iowa and Indiana are 3 examples. If NIL comes into play, thats a different conversation. But if we are on equal footing or its close, thats where we lose. The RAC is great with game atmosphere but the perception is that its a dump

We lose these kids on the visits to the other schools. The arena has to get done. Ive been to a bunch of these campuses and im telling you, its a big deal. Purdue, iowa and Indiana are 3 examples. If NIL comes into play, thats a different conversation. But if we are on equal footing or its close, thats where we lose. The RAC is great with game atmosphere but the perception is that its a dump
I would think that the practice facility would be more important than the actual arena is to players. Especially when an arena like the RAC gives such a home court advantage, something that Harper is well aware of. The players must spend most of their time at the state of the art practice facility.

I would think that the practice facility would be more important than the actual arena is to players. Especially when an arena like the RAC gives such a home court advantage, something that Harper is well aware of. The players must spend most of their time at the state of the art practice facility.
You spend more time in the practice facilities than in the arena. Usually, the deciding factor for the arena is the atmosphere, which Rutgers has in spades. Rutgers' recruiting luck changed with winning, but the new practice facilities turned many heads. Guys who would pass on Rutgers suddenly had an interest. Not sure why bowlgoal put the focus on the arena as the deciding factor.

The perception is that it's a really tough place to play and it's electric. One of the best home court advantages in basketball. Iowa is even more dumpy than the RAC.

LOL it’s the exact opposite. These kids get here not knowing much about Rutgers basketball and then they get here and are completely surprised (in a good way) how our basketball facilities are actually top tier in college bball (for the time being :) ).

You guys are seriously underestimating the impact of the practice facility.

LOL it’s the exact opposite. These kids get here not knowing much about Rutgers basketball and then they get here and are completely surprised (in a good way) how our basketball facilities are actually top tier in college bball (for the time being :) ).

You guys are seriously underestimating the impact of the practice facility.
Totally agree

Reactions: SBP and Scangg
You spend more time in the practice facilities than in the arena. Usually, the deciding factor for the arena is the atmosphere, which Rutgers has in spades. Rutgers' recruiting luck changed with winning, but the new practice facilities turned many heads. Guys who would pass on Rutgers suddenly had an interest. Not sure why bowlgoal put the focus on the arena as the deciding factor.
Because per usual he has no clue

Reactions: MiloTalon13
The RAC is one of the loudest arenas and an elite level home court advantage. Players want to play games in electric environments. The RAC is a plus for recruiting

Players want to practice and spend their time in a shiny new practice facility. Rutgers now has that as an advantage as well

The facilities overall are a plus for recruiting

Let's clean it up.
Cunningham is all NIL.
I'm a member of Knights of the Raritan. But I'd be much more willing to pony up for a couple of these 2024 hoops players than to dontate to the whole NIL collective. If they were to organize a focused "2024 Hoops NIL Recruiting Fund" I think we could have some impact.

The RAC is one of the loudest arenas and an elite level home court advantage. Players want to play games in electric environments. The RAC is a plus for recruiting

Players want to practice and spend their time in a shiny new practice facility. Rutgers now has that as an advantage as well

Agreed.

Is there a good video walk-thru of the basketball practice facility available online somewhere?
If not, why not? Seems like a great recruiting tool.

I'm a member of Knights of the Raritan. But I'd be much more willing to pony up for a couple of these 2024 hoops players than to dontate to the whole NIL collective. If they were to organize a focused "2024 Hoops NIL Recruiting Fund" I think we could have some impact.
You can decide to whom and where the $$ goes
E.g. Caleb has his own collective, and that was a big reason he came back

Reactions: MiloTalon13
You can decide to whom and where the $$ goes
E.g. Caleb has his own collective, and that was a big reason he came back
Is that only for existing players? How do we create a fund that's dedicated for (yet to commit) incoming hoops recruits?

Did you read what Geo said about this topic. He mentioned the RAC is a positive aspect in recruiting. The coaches know how to sell it.

Is that only for existing players? How do we create a fund that's dedicated for (yet to commit) incoming hoops recruits?
That I'm not sure of
My understanding is right now (per NJ state law I believe), $ can only go into current players
However, from what I've gathered, they're trying to change it to recruit high school
I'd contact John as you might be able to put it in a "slush fund" and then donate it to x high school player/s when/if that option becomes available

Exactly. The RAC is a selling point from a home court advantage (players perspective). Fan perspective there can be some improvements.

The actual arena doesn't matter as long as it is packed. Cameron Indoor is a veritable dump by many other schools standards. But it works. Great environments to play in.

Same at Rutgers. What matters it the practice facilities these guys can develop in. That's where they live.

The actual arena doesn't matter as long as it is packed. Cameron Indoor is a veritable dump by many other schools standards. But it works. Great environments to play in.

Same at Rutgers. What matters it the practice facilities these guys can develop in. That's where they live.
Yep Cameron is small and ancient. Allen field house is large and ancient. But they are meccas of college basketball and awesome environments for players. Not the most comfortable for fans.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT