ADVERTISEMENT

Duke's HC leaves

MADHAT1

Hall of Famer
Apr 1, 2003
Joanne McCallie won’t return for a 14th season as Duke’s women’s basketball coach.
McCallie led the Blue Devils to a 330-107 record in her 13 seasons and was a three-time Atlantic Coast Conference coach of the year. Duke won at least a share of the ACC regular-season title four times as well as three ACC Tournament titles. There were also 10 trips to the NCAA Tournament, including four straight trips to the Elite Eight from 2010-13.

She was investigated for alleged mistreatment of her players-in 2016 , but seems like she was cleared because her contract was extended in 2017.
Duke said her resignation is effective Immediately.

I read Duke wasn't planning to renew her contract when it came up for renewal.
Duke Women’s Basketball Coach McCallie Out - Duke Basketball Report
https://www.dukebasketballreport.co...allie-resigns-kevin-white-acc-coaching-search

Reactions: ScarletteK80
There is a group of delighted Duke fans out there who think she's terrible on multiple levels, so they must be thrilled.

It's kind of interesting that she was so clear about leaving because she hadn't gotten an extension. It's a terrible time for a coach to resign, too - it will be hard to find someone now, after all of the post-season changes already have occurred.

It makes me wonder if it was negotiated or not. If not, she left $1.3 million on the table just to make a point. She's not going to make that kind of money in TV or the WNBA (which doesn't need to hire coaches now, but will be hiring later this year).

Reactions: ScarletteK80
By the way, I'd kind of forgotten this, but she replaced Gail G., whose last game at Duke was the regional semifinal in 2007, and who left to take the Texas job after, as I recall, not getting paid as much as she wanted by Duke. Hmm.

Oh, and an ESPN article lists Gail G. as the leading candidate for the job.

By the way, I'd kind of forgotten this, but she replaced Gail G., whose last game at Duke was the regional semifinal in 2007, and who left to take the Texas job after, as I recall, not getting paid as much as she wanted by Duke. Hmm.

Oh, and an ESPN article lists Gail G. as the leading candidate for the job.
I was thinking Gail would make a great replacement, but wonder if she would want to return to being a college HC again
A quick google found this:

I've never felt more confident about coaching than I do today," Goestenkors told ESPN on Thursday. "I'm reminded of a conversation I had last year with UNC football coach Mack Brown upon his return to coaching. He talked about missing the locker room and the energy of teaching and coaching young people. I can relate to that 100 percent."

https://www.espn.com/womens-college...en-basketball-replace-coach-joanne-p-mccallie
So now I think Duke and Gail might be back together
If not , the article has some good candidates , for the job, in it.

Adia Barnes has had her name called around. Maybe KnightTimeFan can chime in from out yonder.

Adia Barnes has had her name called around. Maybe KnightTimeFan can chime in from out yonder.
Please no. Just no.

I suppose she will move on at some point for bigger moolah, Arizona is notoriously cheap (which hasn't stopped coaches like Rubio and Candrea having long careers in other sports). But hopefully not yet.

One of the real plus sides is that she is an alum and loves Tucson. I think she needs to make the NCAA's (which she did this year, but . . .) before she becomes a prime candidate.

ADVERTISEMENT