ADVERTISEMENT

Dunleavy writes about how Doug Graber helped Rutgers land current walk-on Darnell Davis

Thanks for sharing that here. After reading that I understand better why my dad always mentions that he wishes Graber made it here and has a soft spot for him...he is a Rutgers guy!
Graber was all in when it came to Rutgers. The new stadium was his pet project. He saw the potential of the program even when Fred Gruninger and President Lawrence didn't. I still remember Fred Gruninger blowing an opportunity for a bowl game when he refused to bus fans down to Temple. Graber said it's a great opportunity to showcase support for the program and convince the bowl reps Rutgers belong. Due to poor fan support in Philly against Temple, the Independence Bowl picked Oregon instead.

Reactions: JoeRU0304
"Doug's okay."

That's not the answer I was going for --- heh, heh.

Last edited:
Doug was a good coach that loved-loves--Rutgers. An assistant had a major transgression of getting caught with drugs, which laws a major factor in Doug's downfall. He brought in a lot of talent but, of course, we burn him at the stake as we do everyone here. There were some great wins under Graber and we took steps backwards under Shea.

"Doug's okay."

That's not the answer I was going for --- heh, heh.
Okay. oug's okay.

BTW, I thought Doug was okay. An administration that didn't give much support - as in academic - and the aforementioned assistant in a crack house.

Okay. oug's okay. BTW, I thought Doug was okay. An administration that didn't give much support - as in academic - and the aforementioned assistant in a crack house.

Heh-heh. Close enough. I was going for "Hey oug! Where's the "D" ?

Don't forget he coached in the World League of American Football from 2001-03 and led the Frankfurt Galaxy to a World Bowl XI Championship.

Always liked Graber. Gave us some excitement on the banks with thunder and lightning and the Jackson bros. Made me think of when he was doing an RU game for ESPN. Schiano instructed his players to refer to him as either coach or coach Graber in any conversation or interview. Good for Schiano

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT