ADVERTISEMENT

Eastern Michigan (2017 RU Opponent) Considering Dropping Football

it amazes me that some of these states have so many public school DI football programs. Michigan has 5, Ohio has 8..
Per capita 8 in Ohio (11.6 million population) and 5 in Michigan (9.9 million) is really not all that different than 4 in Alabama (4.8 million) or 2 in Arkansas and Kansas (2.9 million). New Mexico (2 million) has 2. Mississippi (2.9 million) has 3. Idaho (1.8 million) has 2.

Let's hope the can gets kicked down the road a bit on that. If they somehow dropped the program after the upcoming season we'd be in a hell of a bind trying to find a replacement.

We are scheduled to play Eastern Michigan on September 16th, 2017.
http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-17/2017-eastern-michigan-eagles-football-schedule.php

Kentucky is scheduled to play Eastern Michigan on Sept 30, 2017.
http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-17/2017-kentucky-wildcats-football-schedule.php

Kentucky doesn't have a game scheduled for September 16th yet.

Guidos vs. Hillbillies 2.0?

Considering how difficult it is to find replacements, I think it is prudent to just decide on dropping EM and finding a suitable replacement. As far as a $ penalty would go, I think they would have zero traction if they cannot guarantee they will still be playing.
Just how this tragedy will effect the post season bowl schedule remains to be seen. :rolleyes:

Reactions: ruready07
Per capita 8 in Ohio (11.6 million population) and 5 in Michigan (9.9 million) is really not all that different than 4 in Alabama (4.8 million) or 2 in Arkansas and Kansas (2.9 million). New Mexico (2 million) has 2. Mississippi (2.9 million) has 3. Idaho (1.8 million) has 2.
This was really interesting to me, so I broke it down with number of FBS schools vs. population (2015 estimate from wikipedia).

Highest population / school
1. New Jersey - 9.0M (1 school)
2. New York - 6.6M (3 school)
3. Missouri - 6.1M (1 school)
4. Wisconsin - 5.8M (1 school)
5. California - 5.6M (7 schools)
6. Minnesota - 5.5M (1 school)
7. Illinois - 4.3M (1 school)
8. Pennsylvania - 4.3M (3 schools)
9. Connecticut - 3.6M (1 school)
10. Washington - 3.6M (2 schools)

Interesting that 5 of the top 10 are Big Ten states, and 10 of 11 Big Ten states were in the top half of states.

Lowest population / school
1. Wyoming - 0.6M (1 school)
2. Idaho - 0.8M (2 schools)
3. West Virginia - 0.9M (2 schools)
4. Louisiana - 0.9M (5 schools)
5. Mississippi - 1.0M (3 schools)
6. Utah - 1.0M (3 schools)
7. New Mexico - 1.0M (2 schools)
8. Alabama - 1.2M (4 schools)
9. Oklahoma - 1.3M (3 schools)
10. Hawaii - 1.4M (1 school)

Highest number of schools
12 - Texas (2.3M/school)
8 - Ohio (1.5M/school)
7 - California (5.6M/school)
7 - Florida (2.9M/school)
7 - North Carolina (1.4M/school)
5 - Michigan (2.0M/school)
5 - Louisiana (0.9M/school)
4 - Georgia (2.6M/school)
4 - Indiana (1.7M/school)
4 - Tennessee (1.7M/school)
4 - Alabama (1.2M/school)

Overall averages:
- 41 states with 128 FBS programs (3.1 schools per state)
- 312M people in those 41 states (2.4M per school, per state, on average)

Considering how difficult it is to find replacements, I think it is prudent to just decide on dropping EM and finding a suitable replacement. As far as a $ penalty would go, I think they would have zero traction if they cannot guarantee they will still be playing.
Just how this tragedy will effect the post season bowl schedule remains to be seen. :rolleyes:
----------
the suggestion that we look at their league opponents is a good one, possibly making contact in advance

Looking at it just with P5 programs:

Highest population/P5 school:
1. New York - 19.8M (1 school)
2. Ohio - 11.6M (1 school)
3. California - 9.8M (4 schools)
4. New Jersey - 9.0M (1 school)
5. Massachusetts - 6.8M (1 school)
6. Florida - 6.8M (3 schools)
7. Illinois - 6.4M (2 schools)
8. Pennsylvania - 6.4M (2 schools)
9. Missouri - 6.1M (1 school)
10. Maryland - 6.0M (1 school)

We are scheduled to play Eastern Michigan on September 16th, 2017.
http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-17/2017-eastern-michigan-eagles-football-schedule.php

Kentucky is scheduled to play Eastern Michigan on Sept 30, 2017.
http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-17/2017-kentucky-wildcats-football-schedule.php

Kentucky doesn't have a game scheduled for September 16th yet.

Guidos vs. Hillbillies 2.0?

The issue that jumps out is EMU is both team's 7th home game. Would either give that up? May take a home and home series to have serious discussions.

Guys, it looks like a nice big ten vs sec out of conference game is shaping up. A game between Rutgers and Kentucky would go a long way in determining strength of conference for that year - which obviously has major playoff implications.

*also would be a nice feather in the cap for coach Ash in his young career - beating a Stoops*

If they drop football there'd be 8 MAC teams along with Kentucky, Army, and UNC-Charlotte looking for a 12th game. Hopefully 1 could work out a game with RU.
Just get a game with Army. Easy for their team and fans to travel down from West Point, always a great draw, national game, and they count as a "power" opponent.

Otherwise, Kentucky. Good opportunity to recruit and a chance to knock off a SEC team.

Just get a game with Army. Easy for their team and fans to travel down from West Point, always a great draw, national game, and they count as a "power" opponent.

Otherwise, Kentucky. Good opportunity to recruit and a chance to knock off a SEC team.

Can't "just get" a game. Neither team has an opening on the same date. The day RU is supposed to play EMU, Army is at Ohio State.

Reactions: TreyA
Two years ago, the last time Rutgers played EMU, the summer before the season we were up in Michigan visiting schools. I don't know how many people realize, but the distance from the Big House to Eastern's stadium is about the same as the end of Busch to the other end of Cook/Douglass. We decided to check out their stadium since we were at UM anyway, and when we were there their entire team had just finished a practice and was leaving their Hale Center-type building while we were inside. We were in RU gear and one of the coaches noticed us and started talking to us (knowing that we were playing them that year, joking about us spying haha). Turns out he was from New Jersey and was a professor at RU at one point. He said straight that they just could not recruit at all because of their location right next to Michigan and MSU up the road. He said whereas some MAC schools can compete for and get the occasional A and B player from at least around their campuses, Eastern just doesn't have that because of UM so they already start at best going for C and D recruits. It's tough for them to get anything going because of location sadly.

Couldn't we apply for a waiver from the NCAA and pound Morgan State in back to back weeks,hopefully turning them into Cumberland by the end of the second game?

We used to play Kentucky. It was a nice little series with good games.

We used to play Kentucky. It was a nice little series with good games.

Was it Kentucky or Duke that RU beat 7-0 in a constant downpour at the meadowlands? I wasn't at the famous Temple rain game so this may have been the most uncomfortable game I was ever at.

Can't "just get" a game. Neither team has an opening on the same date. The day RU is supposed to play EMU, Army is at Ohio State.
Actually they can rearrange the schedule to work things out.
UTEP's schedule is currently not set yet, and Army could move their Oct 7 game to Oct 28th and then play us on Oct 7.

UTEP's schedule is currently not set yet, and Army could move their Oct 7 game to Oct 28th and then play us on Oct 7.
Sure they COULD, but why would they? More importantly, it's not just a matter of Army moving things around, it's a matter of their dropping somebody, since they are already at their full complement of 12 games. I seriously doubt that Army is looking to make their schedule more difficult. EDIT: As it turns out this just might work, because Army is scheduled to play EMU next year too! And I see that was already stated in the thread. I missed that, sorry. That said, I still think that Army, if they had to replace EMU, would be looking to "schedule down" to do it.

It might not be that easy though. Just because the schedule hasn't been released doesn't mean that all those dates are flexible. They might have part of the schedule that is set or where they would need to schedule a conference game to make sure they fit all of them where they need to based around other C-USA teams' OOC schedules. If that's the case I don't think UTEP would want to start juggling things around just to allow Army to play Rutgers.

Last edited:
Let's hope the can gets kicked down the road a bit on that. If they somehow dropped the program after the upcoming season we'd be in a hell of a bind trying to find a replacement.
Every team on their schedule would need a game. We would simply grab one of those.

Every team on their schedule would need a game. We would simply grab one of those.
They would probably need to get one that was going to play at Eastern Michigan and doesn't already have a game on 9/16, hopefully there is a team that fits those criteria.

It was more about Rutgers and losing over 300 million the last 10 years.Yikes.
Don't believe everything you see on TV. If other schools classified their student fees and facilities as debt lots of schools would be upside down.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Sure they COULD, but why would they? More importantly, it's not just a matter of Army moving things around, it's a matter of their dropping somebody, since they are already at their full complement of 12 games. I seriously doubt that Army is looking to make their schedule more difficult. EDIT: As it turns out this just might work, because Army is scheduled to play EMU next year too! And I see that was already stated in the thread. I missed that, sorry. That said, I still think that Army, if they had to replace EMU, would be looking to "schedule down" to do it.
Yeah, that's why I was suggesting Army, they are playing EMU.

They would probably need to get one that was going to play at Eastern Michigan and doesn't already have a game on 9/16, hopefully there is a team that fits those criteria.
The whole MAC schedule would have to change. It would be a piece of cake.

This thread is funny. Do you guys just always need something to worry about?

If they drop, they drop. This disrupts so many other schools too. I'm sure the MAC schedule can be rearranged to get someone here to take EMU's beating for a nice paycheck or the annual MEAC beating can be switched a week to accommodate the alternate MAC patsy.

This thread is funny. Do you guys just always need something to worry about?

If they drop, they drop. This disrupts so many other schools too. I'm sure the MAC schedule can be rearranged to get someone here to take EMU's beating for a nice paycheck or the annual MEAC beating can be switched a week to accommodate the alternate MAC patsy.

Actually you are right, if they drop that would also in turn drop them from ALL MAC schedules, which would send those schools scrabbling to fill that date, which we and other schools that have them in their schedule would be happy to fill.

Was it Kentucky or Duke that RU beat 7-0 in a constant downpour at the meadowlands? I wasn't at the famous Temple rain game so this may have been the most uncomfortable game I was ever at.
Can't remember what middling blue uniformed team it was but I remember being about 3 rows from the field and moving up and down the field with the line of scrimmage. The only other fans were parked under the overhang.

As stated before both RU and Kentucky need that as a seventh home game so unless the two work out a homemand home we would have to work it out with Army.

Both Bowling Green and Ball State Have three OOC games in 2017 so they are looking for a fourth game and both have open datesvon the 16th of Sept. So, there are options out there but it will have to be done soon. How, I don't know, as unless the EMU game is cancelled our hands are tied.

I can't see how any MAC team can't make it work financially. Between bought games and TV money there should be enough to run a program.

Dook. If memory serves they were coached by Spurrier, and Dave "supplemental draft" Brown was their qb.

Graber got his first W against KY at Gints Stadium.

Dook. If memory serves they were coached by Spurrier, and Dave "supplemental draft" Brown was their qb.

Graber got his first W against KY at Gints Stadium.

there was also a game against BC in 89 that some of us from Alllen Hall schlepped over to watch in the rain that was like a 9-7 kick in the nuts in nasty cold rain in front of 10K at Giants Stadium

Has Tennessee ever played at Rutgers? Maybe they can step in for Eastern Michigan and we can see our favorite legacy player standing on the sidelines. It would be sweeter than seeing Phil Simms' son not getting into the game when Rutgers did their Louisville beat down. Tennessee's 2017 schedule includes Indiana State and UMass. I'm sure the Vols could buyout one of those dates.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-17/2017-tennessee-volunteers-football-schedule.php

ADVERTISEMENT