ADVERTISEMENT

Eddie Jordan once lost a conference game 92-31

If you’re a Rutgers senior right now - think of how fortunate you have been to see 4 glorious years of basketball!

The current students have no idea when we were like Minnesota tonight getting blown out game after game

Last edited:
I watched Jordan play, he was a great player and a true leader on the final 4 team.
I feel bad for him and his family BTN and this board singles him out in embarrassing fashion..
He didn’t have success here, why we celebrate Pike's success by acknowledging the Jordan era constantly is sad..

I've said this before. Eddie Jordan was a good basketball coach but he was not the guy to lead a program. He was a GREAT NBA assistant. During the Nets back to back runs to the NBA Finals EJ got a lot of credit for their success.
During that time a popular item was the WWJD (what would Jesus do) bracelet. The joke at the time was that Byron Scott wore one but his meant What Would Jordan Do.
He's arguably the greatest point guard in RU history and personally I wouldn't mind seeing his number retired.

I'm too young to have watched Jordan play for Rutgers, but beyond simply not being a good fit here as a coach, he brought extra attention on himself by refusing to interview for the position and saying he didn't coach rebounding.

I'm too young to have watched Jordan play for Rutgers, but beyond simply not being a good fit here as a coach, he brought extra attention on himself by refusing to interview for the position and saying he didn't coach rebounding.
Where did you read and hear that?

Just another thing the media will take out of context and run with…fans eat it up

Here’s the quote. Not sure what was taken out of context. He said (1) he doesn’t coach rebounding and (2) instilling toughness ‘isn’t him as a coach’. That is about as damning of a quote that you can possibly get from a coach

“I told them I'm not going through rebounding drills guys. That's not in my package as a coach. Rebounding is about heart and nose for the ball and wanting to go get it. That's just not me as a coach.”

Here’s the quote. Not sure what was taken out of context. He said (1) he doesn’t coach rebounding and (2) instilling toughness ‘isn’t him as a coach’. That is about as damning of a quote that you can possibly get from a coach

“I told them I'm not going through rebounding drills guys. That's not in my package as a coach. Rebounding is about heart and nose for the ball and wanting to go get it. That's just not me as a coach.”
Truthfully, he’s completely correct.
Plus I’m sure it was after a game where they were destroyed on the boards.
I’m positive Jordan understood the importance of rebounding

Last edited:
Reactions: Scarlet1984
Never forget

Eddie Jordan on his team’s 53-32 rebounding deficit: “I told them I’m not going through rebounding drills guys. That’s not in my package as a coach. Rebounding is about heart and nose for the ball and wanting to go get it. That’s just not me as a coach.”

Reactions: RUChoppin
I get the rebounding = heart part but you CANNOT say in a post game presser, where you were just destroyed on the boards, "I don't coach rebounding"

He is also said that he doesn’t try to instill toughness and heart in his players. He said it. His words.

He didn’t. Don’t know why we need to make things up to defend his resume as a player. It was a direct quote, and our rebounding drastically improved as soon as he left and we got Pike and Jay Young in, who both emphasized it.

Reactions: RedTeam1994
I watched Jordan play, he was a great player and a true leader on the final 4 team.
I feel bad for him and his family BTN and this board singles him out in embarrassing fashion..
He didn’t have success here, why we celebrate Pike's success by acknowledging the Jordan era constantly is sad..
There is a big difference between not having success and not working hard.

If you work hard you don’t go 1-17 in conference.

Never forget

Eddie Jordan on his team’s 53-32 rebounding deficit: “I told them I’m not going through rebounding drills guys. That’s not in my package as a coach. Rebounding is about heart and nose for the ball and wanting to go get it. That’s just not me as a coach.”
What this quote means is rebounding was not important to Eddie Jordan. Didn’t care about it.

Rebounding and defense alone are the only reason Steve pikiell coached teams won in his first 3 years.

Reactions: gregkoko
He didn’t. Don’t know why we need to make things up to defend his resume as a player. It was a direct quote, and our rebounding drastically improved as soon as he left and we got Pike and Jay Young in, who both emphasized it.
Ok, Got it.
Jordan didn’t understand rebounding was important to win basketball games…ok

• Haha
What this quote means is rebounding was not important to Eddie Jordan. Didn’t care about it.

Rebounding and defense alone are the only reason Steve pikiell coached teams won in his first 3 years.
It's why you saw an immediate improvement. It's why we were able to do things even in pikes first couple of years like knock off Ohio State to advance in the Big Ten tournament, then make a run to the quarterfinals the next season... Eddie brought in some good talent. Corey Sanders and Freeman are guys you can win with but Pike had to give them a little bit more of what a college coach needs to give. I understand where zap is coming from.... Eddie is a loyal son and he took a job that wasn't very attractive at a time when we really needed a clean program run with class. He did that. But he didn't understand some of the finer points of coaching at this level.

Meh. He’s not entirely wrong, but obviously there is technique to rebounding. That quote kind of strikes me as him forgetting that he’s not in the NBA anymore.

I’m way too young to remember Eddie Jordan as a player, but he seemed like a good guy. If it had just been his first two years (bad teams, but within the area of normal for a basement dweller, especially considering we were basically a mid-major for a couple years) I don’t think he would be brought up as much. Unfortunately that last team was just historically bad.

Ok, Got it.
Jordan didn’t understand rebounding was important to win basketball games…ok
It’s not that he didn’t understand the importance of rebounding, it’s that (assuming his quote is honest) he didn’t understand the importance of teaching rebounding. Not the same imo. He didn’t underestimate the importance of rebounding, he underestimated how much difference he could make in the rebounding.

It’s not that he didn’t understand the importance of rebounding, it’s that (assuming his quote is honest) he didn’t understand the importance of teaching rebounding. Not the same imo. He didn’t underestimate the importance of rebounding, he underestimated how much difference he could make in the rebounding.
So getting back to the premise of my first post, let’s continue to rip the Jordan era and most of all, make sure Eddie and his family hear about it often

So getting back to the premise of my first post, let’s continue to rip the Jordan era and most of all, make sure Eddie and his family hear about it often
I certainly never said anything like this? I rarely discuss the Eddie Jordan era on this board (not that I think too many of my posts reach Eddie Jordan's family). The board doesn't really control what BTN talks about.

The unfortunate fact is that Pike's success is still new enough that it is natural for people to say "wow he's doing really well considering what came before". The good news is that he is fast approaching the point where he is successful enough that it becomes "wow he's doing really well" and what came before fades into complete irrelevance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT