ADVERTISEMENT

Edelson: New Rutgers president must heal divide between athletics, academics

If I were an Assistant Professor who wants to get tenured, what would I do?

I got it.

Get boat load of attention by going after athletics, especially football and how they are a big drain on academics. We debate it non-stop. The Assistant Professors get all high-fives walking the campus.

The academicians love it and the Assistant Prof soon becomes a tenured Professor.

This is what I would do.

Cal has a much stronger tradition of faculty self-governance than Rutgers, and faculty at Cal even think they have an obligation to pay attention to campus governance. But the faculty largely realizes that, even so, athletics is just too entrenched to remove even when the program is bleeding money.

I would like to believe that athletics and academics go together, but I often find it hard to persuade myself. Would you consider LSU, Clemson, Ohio State and Alabama to be the leading academic institutions in this country? Of course not.The leading schools are the Ivy League schools, at which athletics doesn't play much part.(When was the last time the Harvard-Yale game was nationally televised?)

Stanford, Michigan and Duke would not be much different academically if they didn't have leading athletic programs (although Stanford is pretty mediocre in "money" sports, and Duke really has only the basketball team, although the footbal team does show signs of lfe.)

Athletics is important, not because they help the school's academics, but because they create community at the campus (there's nothing like being with thousands of fellow fans rooting for a team), and so they bring people together. They are also helpful at a state university in building support among legislators and voters. That doesn't require a "leading" program, but it does require one that is at least competitive. We now have, apparently, such a program in basketball, and, under Schiano, we are going to have one in football sooner than the pessimists think.
I've lived in the Boston area for nearly 40 years and during that time have seen Boston College rise from being a decent but nothing special regional school to a well-regarded and very competitive national institution. And what changed eveything? Doug Flutie and the rise of the football program. Applications and interest in the school rose significantly and so did respect and recognition of BC as an institution of higher learning beyond New England. What Big Ten athletic success offers Rutgers is a chance to get its name recognized outside of the NY metro area and into other areas of the country, especially within the Big Ten footprint. With increased donor support, an Honors College and increased applications from kids beyond NJ making it even harder to get in, respect and recognition for Rutgers will likely swell. One thing often lost is that a. successful athletics program helps alumni remain part of the Rutgers community . My daughter went to Vanderbilt , but my son went to Washington Univ in St Louis, one of the very best academic schools in the country. Besides a very fine undergrad program comparable to Johns Hopkins, it has a very fine law school ( I'm a retired lawyer) and one of the very best med schools in the country. My caution to him when he went there despite being accepted at Emory, Michigan , Colgate, Univ Rochester ( academic scholarship) and other fine schools was that it's lack of an athletic program made it hard to remain connected to the university years after graduation. And with the passage of time , I've been proven right.

Last edited:
Athletics is important, not because they help the school's academics, but because they create community at the campus (there's nothing like being with thousands of fellow fans rooting for a team), and so they bring people together. They are also helpful at a state university in building support among legislators and voters. That doesn't require a "leading" program, but it does require one that is at least competitive. We now have, apparently, such a program in basketball, and, under Schiano, we are going to have one in football sooner than the pessimists think.
This is why because of where we are and who we "hang out" with the underlined works to our advantage...a "so-so" season in either FB or MBB gets made out to a much bigger deal here than elsewhere. Nobody else has that. Hopefully we get the results and do use it to our advantage.

When I lived in Boston, actually Thompson's Island off South Boston (the Irish section of Boston back in the day.) Boston College was a poorly thought of place that the local Irish RC kids could go to a college other than vocational school for plumbing or HVAC.

Then Dougie came along. His last college game was in Foxboro vs Syracuse in a full NFL stadium and BC was on the map nationally.

Vandy, where my Sister attended till her marriage, and where I learned how to swim in their indoor pool, is in the SEC for their shared Bowl Game money and the full stadiums they play to on the SEC road games guarantee $.

U of Rochester ? I am asking for input for a friend that I am advising for his Daughter. Fine student, wants MD after under grad. What is that like. I know the actual town is not good....

I would like to believe that athletics and academics go together, but I often find it hard to persuade myself. Would you consider LSU, Clemson, Ohio State and Alabama to be the leading academic institutions in this country? Of course not.The leading schools are the Ivy League schools, at which athletics doesn't play much part.(When was the last time the Harvard-Yale game was nationally televised?)

Yes, but that's because of nepotism and alumni contacts, not because the actual education you receive at the Ivy League schools is better. The reason you go to an Ivy League school (rather than a Big 10 school), if you have the opportunity, is because some alumni will give you a high paying job in whatever field you choose (because they view it as a club and either you're in or you're out).

When I lived in Boston, actually Thompson's Island off South Boston (the Irish section of Boston back in the day.) Boston College was a poorly thought of place that the local Irish RC kids could go to a college other than vocational school for plumbing or HVAC.

Then Dougie came along. His last college game was in Foxboro vs Syracuse in a full NFL stadium and BC was on the map nationally.

Vandy, where my Sister attended till her marriage, and where I learned how to swim in their indoor pool, is in the SEC for their shared Bowl Game money and the full stadiums they play to on the SEC road games guarantee $.

U of Rochester ? I am asking for input for a friend that I am advising for his Daughter. Fine student, wants MD after under grad. What is that like. I know the actual town is not good....
BC triple eagles were commonplace--BC High, BC , and then BC law school.
Vanderbilt is a very fine school, southern but with a nice blend of kids from the northeast and Nashville is a great town.
My son turned down an academic scholarship from Rochester. Very good school, my best friend and his wife went there and my brother-in-law and his wife live in Rochester. But Rochester's weather sucks and the city has never fully recovered from its loss of XEROX and Kodak. I'd go elsewhere. If your friend's daughter is pre-med , check out Washington Univ St Louis . Beautiful school in the heart of St Louis with an outstanding med school . Wash Univ is Johns Hopkins quality pre-med without the intense pressure Hopkins is known for. Another fine option is Emory. Excellent school , beautiful campus on the outskirts of Atlanta. And it has an impressive med school.

Attaining a high MCAT score is priority one in gaining admission to a good Medical School.

Get a copy of US News (Americas Best Graduate Schools) which list MCAT scores for all the Medical Schools

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Hopefully, the new president will actually care about the overall student experience. As someone who was a student during part of Barchi's term, I never got the impression that he particularly cared about the students in general, whether athletes or not.

It's my experience that this is a common theme among higher education administration these days. Administration cares more about trying to make itself look impressive than focusing on direct delivery to the institution's No. 1 stakeholders.

The Students Against Monies Budgeted for Academics committee (SAMBA) is protesting against the money wasted on overpaying profs who think all the university's monies should go to them.

ADVERTISEMENT