ADVERTISEMENT

Effort to "improve" Higher Ed by centralization

srru86

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2001
Star Ledger
Should N.J. bring back a powerful higher ed czar? Report calls for changes.
Bringing some order to the system might make some sense in a vacuum. However we have some history. The biggest problem with NJ Higher Ed is decreasing funding, not lack of central control. They have lots of bigger problems to address first like revising an irrational appropriation structure.
There is an old saying among higher ed types "America has the greatest system of Higher Education in the world - because there is no system."

Last edited:
Reactions: ScarletKid2008
It could be argued that some structure for the state colleges and universities could be useful -- campuses specializing in certain disciplines, less duplication, more logical allocation of resources, etc. (a reach, considering the likely political aspect of this non-political hypothetical post) -- but this certainly should not include Rutgers.

It could be argued that some structure for the state colleges and universities could be useful -- campuses specializing in certain disciplines, less duplication, more logical allocation of resources, etc. (a reach, considering the likely political aspect of this non-political hypothetical post) -- but this certainly should not include Rutgers.
Doesn’t PA something like that?

For example, West Chester was the state college you went to for Physical Therapy.

Doesn’t PA something like that?

For example, West Chester was the state college you went to for Physical Therapy.

PA has a screwy higher ed structure. Although I live in PA, I couldn't tell you if there is the type of specialization that you refer to, but there here are two higher ed systems

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsylvania_State_System_of_Higher_Education

I think West Chester is trying to become the flagship of PASSHE, which is not a hard task because some of the rural colleges in the system like Edinboro and Clarion are strugggling with enrollment. Penn State and Pitt have their own feeder school system, though Pitt's system is only in Western PA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT