ADVERTISEMENT

Eli Apple?

With Hargreaves still out there Reece takes Apple who is not a day 1 starter and needs development with the 10th pick. Really? If you were going to go DB Hargreaves was clearly the better pick. IMO Should have taken Tunsil best O lineman in the draft screw the gas mask he would have started day one. The Giants would have been set at tackles for the next 5 yrs.
ELI APPLE? I thought that you were giving Manning a nickname.

With Hargreaves still out there Reece takes Apple who is not a day 1 starter and needs development with the 10th pick. Really? If you were going to go DB Hargreaves was clearly the better pick. IMO Should have taken Tunsil best O lineman in the draft screw the gas mask he would have started day one. The Giants would have been set at tackles for the next 5 yrs.

Jackson III from Houston would have been a better pick than Apple in my opinion (I think he will be the top CB from this draft after 2 or so seasons). I also agree with Tunsil. Sure, he's a meat head. He's going to be a boom or bust pick (hall of famer after a 10+ year career or out of the league within 3). But instead of trying to achieve greatness, the Giants are content with mediocrity.

It's very impressive how you know this. You should advertise your skill and knowledge base more. I'm sure an NFL team would hire you on the spot. There's still some draft left. You could probably get hired today.
Do you read much. Almost everyone except the Giants have rated Hargreaves much higher then Apple. Apple's a good player but his technique needs polishing, he's not a complete player yet. With a top 10 draft choice you should generally be getting a day 1 starter, these are after all more times than not the 10 best players in all of college football. Apple is a 1st rd pick, I agree, but not at #10. Look when 10 to 15 experts say Hargreaves is clearly the better choice and not one is saying Apple , I tend to believe that judgment. Everyone I mean everyone is questioning this move and Reach doesn't have a good track record over his tenure. One good pick(Beckham) doesn't make him a genius.

I thought we would've gone with a solid LB or OL with that pick.
Figured when we slotted at 10 if the draft order held, we could've gotten either Conklin or Floyd.
You know there was a big OH SH** when Chicago slid in front of the Giants.

Maybe since Apple is a work in progress, they'll look to bring him along over the next 2 years...
just be patient, I know that J.R.'s picks of round 2 and later haven't panned out, but he needs to get it right while he's on the hot seat.

Still hoping we can fill OL and stack the D with the rest of our picks... maybe even Leonte to play opposite Beckham.

Apple and Lee will be good additions to the Giants and Jets. Apple will surprise many of you and it was a good night for Ash and RU football, to have their coach in the Green room. He might be there again next year with JPO and Hamilton, and a couple of running backs.

Apple and Lee will be good additions to the Giants and Jets. Apple will surprise many of you and it was a good night for Ash and RU football, to have their coach in the Green room. He might be there again next year with JPO and Hamilton, and a couple of running backs.

If you do the parallel wouldn't this mean bringing Flood back for the Green Room photo shoots?

Do you read much. Almost everyone except the Giants have rated Hargreaves much higher then Apple. Apple's a good player but his technique needs polishing, he's not a complete player yet. With a top 10 draft choice you should generally be getting a day 1 starter, these are after all more times than not the 10 best players in all of college football. Apple is a 1st rd pick, I agree, but not at #10. Look when 10 to 15 experts say Hargreaves is clearly the better choice and not one is saying Apple , I tend to believe that judgment. Everyone I mean everyone is questioning this move and Reach doesn't have a good track record over his tenure. One good pick(Beckham) doesn't make him a genius.
I was very surprised when Apple came off the board at 10. I would have thought Lee would be more in that range and Apple would be more in the 20ish range. So it was a bit of a reach for the Giants. That being said...those experts miss, sometimes hugely, every year. Apple is probably not a day 1 starter (neither is Wentz, by the way or possibly even Floyd at 9), but we won't know for at least 2-3 years if it was the right pick over Hargreaves or William Jackson or Artie Burns (biggest reach in the draft, if you ask me) or someone yet to be taken.

I don't get worked up with draft selections since it is a total crap shoot. You got the player who fits into a particular system. College performance is not a good predictor for NFL success.

You have to wait three years to assess this year's draft picks.

Hargreaves eyes where bloodshot on the close-up - just saying...really with limited to no information on these guys hard to know- these teams cant chances on some of these morons anymore.

See Johnny Manziel - etc

Holy speculation....

Also there was a previous incident where a recruiter asked about
his being gay, you would think Jerry would stay away from
some thing that would be a distraction to the team.

why is weed even banned by the NFL?
While I don't necessarily disagree with the sentiment, this is a pretty easy question to answer. It's an illegal substance (for recreational use) in almost every state.

Should have jumped at the opportunity to land Tunsil. Manning only has a handful of years left -- take the guy you can plug in as a starting tackle from day 1. Instead, they reached for a guy who will be their nickel CB.

Everyone says the Giants like "high character guys" and that's why they didn't even consider Tunsil. Well, Ahmad Bradshaw was popped for underage drinking and ran from the police. Mario Manningham was pulled over and arrested in possession of weed & vicodin. Jayron Hosley failed a drug test at the combine. They had no problem signing John Jerry after his role in "bullygate". And they've put up with Beckham's antics and stood by guys like JPP, Bromley, and Diehl.

I hope Apple makes me eat my words, but it's just a horrible job of maximizing value by Jerry Reese.

Reactions: redking
Also there was a previous incident where a recruiter asked about his being gay, you would think Jerry would stay away from
I would think it would be a big draw especially the linebacker crew from State Pen as they learned from the Gay Pedophile master himself

7 DB's were taken in the first round. If the Giants like Apple better than the rest, then I'm Ok with it. You know they spoke to Meyer, Ash and Schiano. If those guys were in agreement with the Giant Scouts, then I'm fine with Apple as the pick. Same goes for Lee.

Matt Simms, on a Bleacher Report video, was discussing the possibility of Apple playing FS this year next to Collins. If this is the Giants move I like the pick way more. It eliminates one is his weaknesses, which is that he uses his hands to much. Yes a bit of a reach, but I like the Apple and think he can flourish into a great defender.

He is smaller and not as fast. Apple is probably better for what the Giants want than Hargraves. Apple can run with most wideouts in the league plus he is good on press. Hargraves is not good on press and he does not have the makeup speed. I see Apple as very similar to McCourty.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUfan620
Also there was a previous incident where a recruiter asked about
his being gay, you would think Jerry would stay away from

Seriously? You think there aren't other gay guys on the team (and EVERY team in the NFL)? Think again my friend.

Seriously? You think there aren't other gay guys on the team (and EVERY team in the NFL)? Think again my friend.
Not that it matters if he is or not but I doubt Apple is gay. There was no incinuation that he was by that Atlatna DB coach that asked him about it. He was trying to fluster Apple to see how he reacted. If anything, the DB coach was kind of bizarre the way he pushed the gayness in the lockeroom angel. Atlanta appologised for their coach. Thad23 posted the link to the story:
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/3/...ta-falcons-combine-2016-asked-if-he-likes-men

Last edited:
Should have jumped at the opportunity to land Tunsil. Manning only has a handful of years left -- take the guy you can plug in as a starting tackle from day 1. Instead, they reached for a guy who will be their nickel CB.

Everyone says the Giants like "high character guys" and that's why they didn't even consider Tunsil. Well, Ahmad Bradshaw was popped for underage drinking and ran from the police. Mario Manningham was pulled over and arrested in possession of weed & vicodin. Jayron Hosley failed a drug test at the combine. They had no problem signing John Jerry after his role in "bullygate". And they've put up with Beckham's antics and stood by guys like JPP, Bromley, and Diehl.

I hope Apple makes me eat my words, but it's just a horrible job of maximizing value by Jerry Reese.

I'm under the belief that 1st round picks should be a safe pick. I read that's Reese's attitude also. I'm totally fine with that. Tunsil had this leak right before the draft with a law suit from his stepfather. Oh and also admitted he took money at ole miss. This guy just smells trouble.

Bradshaw was a late pick and manninghams offenses aren't as much of a headache. He was also a 2nd or 3rd rounder where a risk is more ok than 10th overall. I think tunsil will be good but can cause a distraction and a 10th overall pick can't be released like a later pick or free agent as easily

He is faster and bigger than Hargraves, and Hargraves doesn't like to tackle. A couple GMs have said they had him in their top 10.
I 100% agree Hargraves size and tackling scares me in a league where receivers and TE are only getting bigger. Not to say he won't be a good pro, but unless you are a lockdown corner tackling is extremely important.

Ourlads scouting services #'s : Vernon Hargeaves - Florida - Height 5'10" - Weight 204 - 40 yd 4.53 - Graded out at 9.50

Eli Apple - Ohio State - Height 6'0" - Weight 199 - 40 yd 4.40 - Graded out at 9.39

Apple with be the Nickel/Dime DB which means he will get +/-60% of the D snaps. He IS an instant contributor. Focusing on starter is silly. GMen were the worst in late game passing defense and thus move addresses a real weakness. Horrible CB depth

Biggest point I heard is Apple is an A+ character guy which is what I believe made him the puck for the Giants. High upside, low flame out probability. He will contribute day one.

Ourlads scouting services #'s : Vernon Hargeaves - Florida - Height 5'10" - Weight 204 - 40 yd 4.53 - Graded out at 9.50

Eli Apple - Ohio State - Height 6'0" - Weight 199 - 40 yd 4.40 - Graded out at 9.39

Seems like they both should be good players.

While I don't necessarily disagree with the sentiment, this is a pretty easy question to answer. It's an illegal substance (for recreational use) in almost every state.

Thats changing....why would a Denver Bronco have a problem with his employer if his state does not?

Thats changing....why would a Denver Bronco have a problem with his employer if his state does not?
Probably because of the league rules. It doesn't matter if it's decriminalized in Colorado. If a manditory drug test show up positive for pot, the player will get a 4 game suspension. That impacts the rest of the team too.

Last edited:
Probably because of the league rules. It doesn't matter idf it's decriminalized in Colorado. If a manditory drug test show up positive for pot, the player will get a 4 game suspension. That impacts the rest of the team too.
Agreed. Why can't some people understand this?

I agree that they need LBs, but what LB was worth a #10 pick that does not have an issue like the UCLA Lb?

ESPN mock draft has Giants taking Hackenberg in the 2nd. If that happens, I just might do something crazy.

ESPN mock draft has Giants taking Hackenberg in the 2nd. If that happens, I just might do something crazy.
I wonder who did that prediction. There is no way. LB, OL, and another WR are immediate needs. Even another pass rusher or Safety is much more likely. The Jets may take him(hope not). They have an actual need of a QB at this time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT