ADVERTISEMENT

End of Divisions Not a Done Deal

Not NIL but he should look into AD/football spending caps.

Cut out all that extra money the schools with big donors get that other schools (Rutgers) don't have ability to spend.
You will never stop the $$$ flow, either you have it or you don’t

#1. I think Lou is denial about a lot of things.

#2. He thinks it's fair and makes sense for the conference to have pity on us and give us the weakest conference opponents every year.

#3. "Consistently beat half the teams" makes absolutely no sense, nevermind what he was trying to say, which is wrong but not logically nonsensical.

Before deciding to reply to this, I checked your reply history. I went ten deep before giving up on trying to find a post that wasn't negative. So I'll stop debating with you since there's no chance of finding neutral territory. In your world, everyone else is dumber than you, including the people that do this stuff for a living. Congratulations on your high self esteem.

Reactions: 50 yd line RR
Winning argument there, Lou. Yes the league will have pity on our self-inflicted non-competitive team and give us an easier schedule. If you believe that’s a reasonable thing, then yes, you ain’t winning very many IQ comparisons….well, against humans at least.

BTW if you see value in looking up post history, I will save you some time. no you won’t find any positive thoughts from me about Schiano. Maybe look at the hoops forum, since you have so much free time

• Haha
Reactions: LeapinLou
Yes, but OSU and PSU didn't play the same schedules as Purdue. That's the point of divisions - you play the same schedules as everyone else in the division and the team with the best record is the "winner." I couldn't care less about rankings; that's just sports writers jerking off.

It’s slowly turning out Jerry Maguire was right: Less Teams, Less Money

The rush to expand for more and more money is ruining conferences and scheduling.

NFL divisions work because everyone plays the same record (except 1 game out of 16, now 2 out of 17).

What’s the plan: a 9 game conference schedule that is going to be radically different from team to team. And then just picking 2?
One 16 team “division” is a terrible idea.

Best idea would be 4 4-team divisions.
But then you need a 4 team Big Ten conference tourney to determine a conference champ.

Saying no more expansion "for now" doesn't mean much IMHO. If a good opportunity comes along, the Big Ten will grab it. If Notre Dame were to call tomorrow and say, we want to join the Big Ten, then I'm sure the Big Ten would expand.
That or if the TV networks want the Bay Area market, they'll grab Stanford/Cal or the Pacific NW, they'll grab Oregon/Washington. It's when, not if.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
Might as well just merge Big 10-SEC already.
32 teams
2 conferences
4 divisions per conference with standard schedules
Each conference has a 6 or 7 team playoff.
Winner of each conference plays in some sort of big Bowl to end the year.

Eventually 24
Illinois,
Indiana,
Iowa,
Maryland
, Michigan,
MINNESOTA,
Nebraska,
Wisconsin,
Michigan State,
Northwestern,
Ohio State
Penn State
Purdue,
Rutgers
USC
UCLA
Oregon
Washington
California
Stanford
Kansas
Kansas St
North Carolina
Virginia

Eventually 24
Illinois,
Indiana,
Iowa,

Maryland
, Michigan,

MINNESOTA,
Nebraska,
Wisconsin,

Michigan State,
Northwestern,
Ohio State

Penn State
Purdue,
Rutgers
USC
UCLA
Oregon
Washington
California
Stanford
Kansas
Kansas St
North Carolina
Virginia

Three 8 team divisions? Play all 7 in division then 1 from each other division?
3 division winners in a playoff for conference champ (2 v. 3 - winner plays 1 in CCG)?

Eventually 24
Illinois,
Indiana,
Iowa,

Maryland
, Michigan,

MINNESOTA,
Nebraska,
Wisconsin,

Michigan State,
Northwestern,
Ohio State

Penn State
Purdue,
Rutgers
USC
UCLA
Oregon
Washington
California
Stanford
Kansas
Kansas St
North Carolina
Virginia
Scratch K-State and add Arizona or Colorado (Arizona/Colorado are AAU, K-State is not) and I'd be 100% on board with that.

Eventually 24
Illinois,
Indiana,
Iowa,

Maryland
, Michigan,

MINNESOTA,
Nebraska,
Wisconsin,

Michigan State,
Northwestern,
Ohio State

Penn State
Purdue,
Rutgers
USC
UCLA
Oregon
Washington
California
Stanford
Kansas
Kansas St
North Carolina
Virginia
I cannot see Kansas State

Colorado, Utah or Arizona instead

Reactions: bigmatt718
Article is paywall but you can see the info in the tweet. I don’t think it will happen but there was also mention of uneven permanent rivals. So for example a school like Iowa (their preference of Minn, Wisc, Neb) might have 3, Michigan (their two main rivals) 2, USC/UCLA 1, PSU (has no preference) 0. For competitive reasons, I don’t see that happening but it was mentioned. RU can have IU, NW, Purdue, our natural rivals lol. 😉

Article is paywall but you can see the info in the tweet. I don’t think it will happen but there was also mention of uneven permanent rivals. So for example a school like Iowa (their preference of Minn, Wisc, Neb) might have 3, Michigan (their two main rivals) 2, USC/UCLA 1, PSU (has no preference) 0. For competitive reasons, I don’t see that happening but it was mentioned. RU can have IU, NW, Purdue, our natural rivals lol. 😉

Halle-f'ing-lujah. Divisions are done after next year.

LeapinLou said:
As is, Rutgers and Maryland, despite having teams that would consistently beat 1/2 the teams playing in bowl games. Don't know about Md. but no way RU beats half the bowl teams. Yikes!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT