ADVERTISEMENT

End of Regulation Minnesota - Question

Miggins

Senior
Gold Member
Jul 26, 2001
Mahwah
After the Jacob Young steal, he drives to the hoop then pulls out.
He is inside the foul lane, and as I see it had 4 options

1) Pull the ball back out and set-up a last second shot OR call a time-out to set up a play (what he did)
2) Take an open 13ft jump shot with about 10 seconds to play
3) Drive to the hoop for a semi-contested lay-up (probably shooting with with ~8 seconds left to play)
4) Dish out to Geo who is in the corner wide open (no Minnesota player was even outside of the foul lane, Geo probably shooting at ~6-7 seconds left)

Not remotely being critical of one of the great plays in RU basketball history (at least recent history) but with the benefit of hind-site and forgetting the fact that Geo ultimately missed the shot and that we won in OT, what would be the best decision?

Ultimately I would go with #2, think he would hit that shot ~60% of the time, with perhaps a 20-25% chance if he misses Myles gets the offensive board.

I have no issue with #1. We just dodged a major bullet. Goal #1 at that point was to make sure we get the last shot. If JY missed the jumper and it ended up with Carr on the leak out hitting a game winner, it would have been an epic meltdown.

Yeah, #1 all the time. In a tied game with time winding down, make sure there are only 2 outcomes: win or go to OT. Don't give the other team any time to decide the game.
This.

You do not want to give them the ball back with 10 seconds, even if you are up a basket.
He did the right thing and if I'm Pike I give the ball to Gio 9 times out of 10 for the last shot. As good as JY had been playing, he has not been effective in these final possession situations this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: wheezer
Giving the opponent the last shot makes no sense especially with Minnesota living on the foul line.and with Carr taking the last shot.

We absolutely did the right thing there by pulling it out and taking the last shot

The real question is...should we have used a time out ?

My instinct at the time was...NO!

Experienced team should be know what to do there and have the advantage of not giving the defense a chance to set up...

IMO you don’t call the time out, but you back out for the last shot.

They should have an end of game play they they can run in that exact scenario. Calling the timeout just let’s the defense get set IMO.

Plus it just ended up being dribble dribble dribble bad shot anyways, what’s the point?

You would have gone with 2?!?!? Anything other than a wide open dunk or the last shot would have been brutal

Always 1. Wide open slam dunk is the only thing debatable, but still would prefer holding for last shot to not lose on a 3.

Even if we score two we can lose it they hit a 3. Huge play by JY to pull that out because if was a chaotic sequence and nobody would have been mad if he did anything else. But you have to hold for the last shot when given the chance.

Reactions: bowlgoal
There’s no debate on this. You pull it out and call the time out. And geo is the guy to take the shot. He has hit plenty of those important shots in his time here.

Reactions: Yeah Baby
ADVERTISEMENT