ADVERTISEMENT

Enough with Moorhead - A DISASTER at Miss St. So far

Hahahahaha you haven't been watching the game huh? It's been utter domination and should be about 40-10 if they didn't throw int's in the red zone. Bottom line is HE'S GOING TO LOSE TO A PUTRID TENNESSEE TEAM, get it?

Enjoy some reading on the Miss St. forums right now about your boy Borehead. They are already looking for new coaching names! Hahahahahaha.

Actually I have been watching the game and it has been nowhere near a dominating performance. Unless you forgot, picking off passes in the red zone (you mentioned earlier), is part of the game.

That being said, as I stated earlier in this conversation, I will give you credit where and when it’s due: you called a UT win two weeks ago. Well done. Still NOT a “dominating” effort but nonetheless.

No way Moorhead would come here to coach Rutgers. His dream job is Penn St, and RU in no way, shape, or form helps him get there. Miss-St fans are ticked they lost Mullen, who is an elite coach going to an elite program.

Moorhead is a good coach at a good program. He can get top 20 or so recruiting classes every year there and almost always be bowl eligible. MSU will keep him for 20 years if he wins the Iron Bowl and Bowl games more often than not.

His best path to Pa-St is stay in the recruiting hotbed he is in, win some big games, be bowl eligible annually and wait for Franklin to move on.

Rutgers is in complete rebuild mode, where getting a top 40 class is serious work, plus recruiting solid assistants will be much tougher.

Pipe dream to get Moorhead here. The only thing he will do is use Hobbs to get more MSU money.

No way Moorhead would come here to coach Rutgers. His dream job is Penn St, and RU in no way, shape, or form helps him get there. Miss-St fans are ticked they lost Mullen, who is an elite coach going to an elite program.

Moorhead is a good coach at a good program. He can get top 20 or so recruiting classes every year there and almost always be bowl eligible. MSU will keep him for 20 years if he wins the Iron Bowl and Bowl games more often than not.

His best path to Pa-St is stay in the recruiting hotbed he is in, win some big games, be bowl eligible annually and wait for Franklin to move on.

Rutgers is in complete rebuild mode, where getting a top 40 class is serious work, plus recruiting solid assistants will be much tougher.

Pipe dream to get Moorhead here. The only thing he will do is use Hobbs to get more MSU money.

Hahaha someone needs to wake you up man. He just lost to a pathetic Tennessee team and is in line to have a really bad year with the schedule coming. No P5 team will hire Moorhead as head coach after he gets axed at MSU. Are you his agent?

Reactions: shields
Hahaha someone needs to wake you up man. He just lost to a pathetic Tennessee team and is in line to have a really bad year with the schedule coming. No P5 team will hire Moorhead as head coach after he gets axed at MSU. Are you his agent?

Every away game in the SEC is a difficult task, and Tennessee is loaded with talent as well. 8 wins in that division is an accomplishment, He won’t get 8 this year, but they will make a bowl appearance in all likelihood.

It is fair to say he hasn’t proven to be a good coach with longevity, but he is highly regarded as an offensive mind. He clearly is recruiting well, and every new coach has a learning curve. They also lost a ton of starters from last year, so this year figured to be more difficult. MSU is not getting rid of him in the next couple of years, short of a complete disaster.

Still, he needs to win more games if he wants to move up in the coaching ranks. He would be on Penn State’s short list when and if he does. Next year will be a much better determination of whether he is a good coach or not.

Point is, he’s not coming to Rutgers next year even if we went after him hard.

Every away game in the SEC is a difficult task, and Tennessee is loaded with talent as well. 8 wins in that division is an accomplishment, He won’t get 8 this year, but they will make a bowl appearance in all likelihood.

It is fair to say he hasn’t proven to be a good coach with longevity, but he is highly regarded as an offensive mind. He clearly is recruiting well, and every new coach has a learning curve. They also lost a ton of starters from last year, so this year figured to be more difficult. MSU is not getting rid of him in the next couple of years, short of a complete disaster.

Still, he needs to win more games if he wants to move up in the coaching ranks. He would be on Penn State’s short list when and if he does. Next year will be a much better determination of whether he is a good coach or not.

Point is, he’s not coming to Rutgers next year even if we went after him hard.

Have you been watching them or paying attention to their performance or MSU fanbase? It is already a complete disaster. He was hired for his offensive "genius" and they can barely move the ball now. His team is making numerous mental errors and is playing almost as sloppy as us with far greater talent. He had to bench his hand-picked QB from Ped State a few times already this year. Moorhead is in a complete panic and coaching as such. He even admitted publicly he has to stop listening to the upset fans!!! He just got smoked by a putrid Tennessee team and they will be getting smoked with their upcoming schedule. You think he'll be a candidate for PSU or anywhere after this? Hahahahaha. Get a clue and read the Miss. papers. Guy is a career coordinator who owes his contract to Saquon Barkley. I tried to tell you all of this weeks ago but I hurt some people's feelings.

Last edited:
So when Harsin drops his yearly stinky L against a mediocre P5 opponent, we can jump all over him too?
But if anyone dare mentions WTF losses by the chosen one, they will get roundly attacked as being a hater and against the best interests of the program. WTF losses happen. Would hardly consider Miss State losing the Tennessee at home as a WTF loss. Sure wish Nunzio would give our true freshman QB some reps to see what he can do. Can it be any worse than last 2 games?

So when Harsin drops his yearly stinky L against a mediocre P5 opponent, we can jump all over him too?
Feel free - and to be clear, as I've written many times on this forum, I'm basing Moorhead's performance on his entire body of work as Head Coach at MSU, which I have watched closely and which he is getting roasted for by the entire MSU fanbase. This past Saturday's pathetic performance was only a culmination of a trend of really bad and anemic offensive football they have been playing.

And Harsin isn't perfect and he's not in my top 5 of realistic candidates BUT he should be seriously considered and he's a heck of a lot better than Moorhead who will not get another P5 job once he's ousted from MSU.

If Moorhead wins the Iron Bowl, doesn't that mean MSU has already lost him?

I think it goes beyond just one game. Many MSU fans are less than convinced he is the right coach for them. It feels like he was really overrated, and now that is becoming apparent.

But, to the central point, even if Schiano and Moorhead were equally inconsistent and average coaches, Schiano would get the edge right now because of what he brings to the table. How many HS players would get excited that Moorhead is in town? Not too many. How many season tickets would be sold because of his name? Not too many.
Schiano ,on the other hand, brings a buzz and excitement that few others would be able to do. He is the best option for Rutgers right now.

I hear what you are saying , but how long would the fan base stay patient with Schiano ? Are fans willing to give the man enough time to right the ship or complain when he doesn’t beat penn state or Michigan

Reactions: Anteid
But if anyone dare mentions WTF losses by the chosen one, they will get roundly attacked as being a hater and against the best interests of the program. WTF losses happen. Would hardly consider Miss State losing the Tennessee at home as a WTF loss. Sure wish Nunzio would give our true freshman QB some reps to see what he can do. Can it be any worse than last 2 games?

I actually think it’s the opposite. The fans calling for Schiano recognize he’s not perfect but believe the good far outweighs the bad. Conversely, it seems like a lot of fans calling for other options (Morehead, Leipold, etc) are quick to excuse their missteps and WTF losses. We are not getting a perfect candidate under any circumstances. So if we hire anyone with prior experience there should be good wins and probably some bad losses too.

And, while I appreciate that historically Tennessee has been a big time program, they are a bad football team this year. There’s no way to spin it otherwise.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I actually think it’s the opposite. The fans calling for Schiano recognize he’s not perfect but believe the good far outweighs the bad. Conversely, it seems like a lot of fans calling for other options (Morehead, Leipold, etc) are quick to excuse their missteps and WTF losses. We are not getting a perfect candidate under any circumstances. So if we hire anyone with prior experience there should be good wins and probably some bad losses too.

And, while I appreciate that historically Tennessee has been a big time program, they are a bad football team this year. There’s no way to spin it otherwise.
Fair enough. But on both sides of the Schiano coin, there are several hard core posters unwilling to hear anything bad about their candidate and perfectly willing to trot out one loss as evidence that a candidate should be dismissed out of hand. Both positions are ridiculous. There is no perfect candidate.

Despite Toledo being 27 point favorites and losing on Saturday to a 1-4 Bowling Green team, Jason Candle is still high on my list. My one major reservation with him is his last name. Flood, Ash . . . Candle. That's totally rational.

I like Candle a lot. Honestly, I want to see someone with a resume like Fleck (even though the row the boat thing is corny). He is repeating at Minnesota what he at WMU. I get those guys don’t grow on trees and he isn’t coming here but there’s a two spot proven track record on that guy

I like Candle a lot. Honestly, I want to see someone with a resume like Fleck (even though the row the boat thing is corny). He is repeating at Minnesota what he at WMU. I get those guys don’t grow on trees and he isn’t coming here but there’s a two spot proven track record on that guy
I could not stand his antics when he was younger. But like Franklin, he seems to have grown up, and nobody can argue that he is getting it done this year. Minny's schedule was not exactly murderer's row, but they crushed a not too bad Nebraska team (paying Frost $5 million/year). Can see them going 8-0 (us, then Maryland), and winding up 9-3 or 10-2 if they pull an upset. If Dantonio retires, could see MSU making a move for him. We should too, but he will be in the $5 million range.

I like Candle's lineage from Mt. Union and the fact that Mt Union is a cradle of coaches- Cambbell, Candle, Grinch and others. Have said it quite a few times on these boards, but Candle is killing it in recruiting, getting kids from Florida and Mississippi with P5 offers to go to Toledo. He may be a hot commodity at the end of the year if he does not flame out (pun intended).

Who is much much better? I know Brent Venable would be but I doubt he's leave Clemson for us.

I don't think he would be a good fit at Rutgers, anyway. I think the best bet for you guys is to hire a wildly successful FCS head coach with current or past roots in the Northeast.

Jumping in only here. This thread is preposterous. Moorhead is competing in the toughest football conference. To think we wouldn’t hand the job to Moorhead if he would accept it is lunacy. His credentials are excellent, especially for a northeast program. Only hiring the Baylor coach, which is definitely not happening, would top it. Hiring Moorhead would probably come close to Pitt landing Johnny Majors years ago.

Jumping in only here. This thread is preposterous. Moorhead is competing in the toughest football conference. To think we wouldn’t hand the job to Moorhead if he would accept it is lunacy. His credentials are excellent, especially for a northeast program. Only hiring the Baylor coach, which is definitely not happening, would top it. Hiring Moorhead would probably come close to Pitt landing Johnny Majors years ago.

I know, but the Schiano Only fans ONLY want Schiano and no one else, this teh name.

LOL! You clearly don't know how to watch college football and know what makes a good coach. Please watch Moorhead and his "high-powered" offense the rest of this season and report back to me. Better yet, please pay a visit to the MSU forum who 100% agrees he's been awful there. You can debate them. As for his track record? He called plays to give Saquon Barkley the ball? Genius! Again, nice little cute coordinator, NOT even close to a head coach. Are you related to him?

Was alluded to early in the thread but SCILS doesn't want to talk about "fit" when it comes to coaching. He will surely tell us that Ash was a bad "fit" at Rutgers being a lifelong mid-western guy in New Jersey, but won't hear of the fact that Moorhead is a bad fit in Mississippi, being a lifelong northeast guy in the deep south.

I actually think that Moorhead may be "mutually available" (not fired) at the end of the season and Rutgers is by far the best "fit" for him.

Hey guys, as a PSU alum I come here in peace.... Let me just say that even if Franklin wasn’t at PSU, they would not go after Moorhead. There first call would be to Matt Rhule at Baylor. He played at PSU and is 6-0 at Baylor and we all know what he did at Temple.

Hey guys, as a PSU alum I come here in peace.... Let me just say that even if Franklin wasn’t at PSU, they would not go after Moorhead. There first call would be to Matt Rhule at Baylor. He played at PSU and is 6-0 at Baylor and we all know what he did at Temple.
Some have said as much here, and we don't think Rhule would give us the time of day because he wants the PSU job when it becomes vacant (if it ever does?).
Assume Franklin leaves at the end of this season and Rhule did not want the PSU job. Would PSU go after Moorhead?

Reactions: shields
Some have said as much here, and we don't think Rhule would give us the time of day because he wants the PSU job when it becomes vacant (if it ever does?).
Assume Franklin leaves at the end of this season and Rhule did not want the PSU job. Would PSU go after Moorhead?
IMHO, I don’t think so.... Great OC but nobody really knows as a HC. This has been discussed on the PSU board in the past and a hot name was Matt Campbell at Iowa State. Some think he could deliver at PSU in a big way. If I was Rutgers, I would go after a guy like Mike Norvell at Memphis or Drinkowitz at App state. Hell, I would also call up Wake Forest and kick the tires.

IMHO, I don’t think so.... Great OC but nobody really knows as a HC. This has been discussed on the PSU board in the past and a hot name was Matt Campbell at Iowa State. Some think he could deliver at PSU in a big way. If I was Rutgers, I would go after a guy like Mike Norvell at Memphis or Drinkowitz at App state. Hell, I would also call up Wake Forest and kick the tires.
Norvell's name has been out there for us. Some of us are keen on Jason Candle at Toledo. A name people are less enthusiastic about is Leopold from Buffalo.
You have to consider how many coaches are willing to risk their career on a place that has been a career graveyard. Of course, Greg Schiano will be high on our list, and many wanted him on campus 2 weeks ago.

Drinkwitz occurred to me but he just got hired at App State and he's an offensive coach which I like but probably would want a longer track record to see.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Was alluded to early in the thread but SCILS doesn't want to talk about "fit" when it comes to coaching. He will surely tell us that Ash was a bad "fit" at Rutgers being a lifelong mid-western guy in New Jersey, but won't hear of the fact that Moorhead is a bad fit in Mississippi, being a lifelong northeast guy in the deep south.

I actually think that Moorhead may be "mutually available" (not fired) at the end of the season and Rutgers is by far the best "fit" for him.

Uh no, it's actually pretty easy to tell if a good coach is in a bad situation or fit. I could give you plenty of examples - and Moorhead isn't one of them. Fit has zero to do with his offensive 'genius' and hand-picked qb not being able to move the ball all season, including against a horrendous Tennessee team. Also, what you fail to consider is some head coaches aren't meant to be head coaches - they are meant to be nice little coordinators - and that is clear with Moorhead. If you don't believe me, I encourage you to watch Miss St. play the rest of this year and decide for yourself.

LOL! You clearly don't know how to watch college football and know what makes a good coach. Please watch Moorhead and his "high-powered" offense the rest of this season and report back to me. Better yet, please pay a visit to the MSU forum who 100% agrees he's been awful there. You can debate them. As for his track record? He called plays to give Saquon Barkley the ball? Genius! Again, nice little cute coordinator, NOT even close to a head coach. Are you related to him?
Your personal slights are childish. You’re an article of menstruation. Anyone can win at Fordham, be offensive coordinator at Penn State, then move on to a head job at Mississippi State, and not be ready for a Rutgers head coaching job. Come on ...

Your personal slights are childish. You’re an article of menstruation. Anyone can win at Fordham, be offensive coordinator at Penn State, then move on to a head job at Mississippi State, and not be ready for a Rutgers head coaching job. Come on ...

Correct, anyone could have been offensive coordinator at Ped State with Barkley and all of the NFL talent they had on offense.

Incorrect, anyone is not cut out to be head coach.

You must be a Moorhead relative?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT