EPA Chief Focused on Cleaning up Oceans

Discussion in 'Current Events, Politics and Off Topic Banter' started by Caliknight, Jun 12, 2019 at 12:58 PM.

1. Caliknight

Caliknight Legend
    Expand Collapse

zappaa and Jm0513 like this.
  2. becktheory

becktheory All Conference
    Expand Collapse

This is certainly a good thing. But this EPA isn’t protecting the environment.

Former Republican EPA chiefs rip Trump administration for 'undermining of science'

"Change the direction, change the management and go back to the mission of the agency," Thomas told ABC News. "That's what I think President Reagan would say, 'That's not how I want this agency to operate.'"

https://thehill.com/homenews/admini...iefs-rip-trump-administration-for-undermining

3. Crazed_RU

Crazed_RU Senior
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I honestly believe that there is nothing more important environmentally than reducing single use plastic consumption. My family is on a crusade to minimize. We bring out our spoons to ice cream parlors. We ask for no straws when at restaurants.

We need to reduce, reuse and then recycle. In that order. It's proven that just tossing more and more plastic in recycling containers doesn't end up like we all like to think. There's no magical land of recycling. It ends up in our waterways more often than not. It's disgraceful honestly.

m1ipabrams, newell138, CERU00 and 2 others like this.
  4. becktheory

Expand Collapse

I was reading about all the balloons that get to the ocean. My little guy who is 3 will not be happy if we don’t have balloons.

5. NorthernKnight

NorthernKnight Hall of Famer
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Do you take pictures of yourself and family doing that and proudly post it on Facebook?

Asking for a friend...

6. okieKnight908

okieKnight908 Senior
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Focusing on debris over greenhouse gases, isn’t exactly a win for your dying oceans, since debris isn’t exactly the cause of present day acidification and warming. You can take every piece of trash out of the thing and corals will all still be dying in our lifetimes.

I’d seriously suggest you read up on Mr. Wheeler’s credentials and history, before you start thinking this guy is going to do anything positive for the planet.

6 okieKnight908, Jun 12, 2019 at 10:19 PM
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019 at 10:26 PM
  7. formerlyknownasrutgers100

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Are you always such an a hole? Asking for a friend

Kbee3 and jonRU09 like this.
  8. Caliknight

Caliknight Legend
    Expand Collapse

AGW is fake. Ocean plastics are real. I’ve been to too many remote beaches around the globe to say otherwise.

This is a great development. These countries really need to step up.

newell138 and zappaa like this.
  9. Crazed_RU

Crazed_RU Senior
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Listen I agree with just about everything you post so don’t be a dick on something that matters to me.

jonRU09 likes this.
  10. ashokan

ashokan All American
    Expand Collapse

11. koleszar

koleszar Heisman Winner
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

My wife hates those helium balloons. Had one float into one of our pastures. Pig proceeded to eat said balloon and died. Had to have an autopsy done by the State here in Monmouth county and $500 dollars later found that someone's irresponsibility or little kid killed our pig. So next time you buy him one make sure he holds on tight. If he should accidentally let go, just think to yourself, "fvck that might kill an innocent animal" as it floats away.

11 koleszar, Jun 13, 2019 at 9:05 AM
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019 at 9:12 AM
    RW90 likes this.
  12. becktheory

Expand Collapse

Wow. Sorry to hear that. On a couple occasions we have had balloons fly away and I mostly think about how to calm my son down. I will think of the larger impact going forward.

koleszar and gogs7 like this.
  13. becktheory

Expand Collapse

If you don’t believe in science then you can consider it fibbing.

They recently did a study on the amount of plastic on a new beach created by the lava in Hawaii.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com....ady-polluted-with-tiny-pieces-of-plastic.aspx

14. ashokan

ashokan All American
    Expand Collapse

15. m1ipabrams

m1ipabrams All Conference
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

So you are saying that having the US take a lead and invest in trying to reduce ocean trash without equal commitments from other countries is a good thing? You are hoping that our efforts and leadership might lead to improvements by other countries? Even though the scope and impact of the problem are not fully understood yet?

Cool, I agree with you, but wonder why you don't believe the same thing about carbon emissions?

RU848789 likes this.
  16. RW90

RW90 All Conference
    Expand Collapse

Worse yet are those celebratory mass balloon releases. While I think the public has gotten more sensitive, it was not too long ago all grand openings or public celebrations would release hundreds of balloons into the air without any thought for the consequences. Same goes for all those six pack rings which litter the oceans worldwide.

koleszar likes this.
  17. koleszar

koleszar Heisman Winner
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I must say I'm not perfect either. Just till two years ago I didn't clip the plastic 6 pack rings. Now I do it religiously. It wasn't until someone told me of the dangers that I realized the senseless deaths I may have caused. We actually just started the no plastic bag craze, we've begun to realize every little trivial thing adds up and everyone of us needs to be responsible.

18. DJ Spanky

DJ Spanky The Lunatic is in my Head
    Expand Collapse

Wasn't there a push a few years back to make balloons out of biodegradable material?

On the original topic, I completely agree that what's in our oceans is horrible, and that we need a worldwide effort to start cleaning them out. Everybody shares the burden.

19. GoodOl'Rutgers

GoodOl'Rutgers Hall of Famer
    Expand Collapse

You can donate to a non-profit who is actually cleaning the oceans here..

https://theoceancleanup.com/

I think there's room for multiple such efforts. Would be really cool if someone came up with a mega-ship that can strain the surface of the ocean like a whale (or is it wale?) takes plankton.

20. GoodOl'Rutgers

Expand Collapse

They are supposed to use biodegradable balloons for that... as it is latex is mainly used.. its like splattering the world with latex paint.

21. GoodOl'Rutgers

Expand Collapse

There's actually a cute little trick you can do with the six-pack rings... where you bet someone that you can squeeze through a ring. You then cut it up in such a way to turn it into on giant ring.. if you look at it before cutting you'll figure out what you need to do.

22. GoodOl'Rutgers

Expand Collapse

We already do it both with plastics and carbon. Sure, if we crashed our economy down to 3rd world levels perhaps we would pollute less from sheer lack of GDP. But we have reduced carbon and we are no where near teh leader in plastics leaking into the oceans.

But I am all for doing something.. donating to people actually cleaning the oceans, etc.

23. fg7321

fg7321 Senior
    Expand Collapse

24. m1ipabrams

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

It's silly and disingenuous to throw out "crashing our economy" as the only way we can make more of a difference. There are incremental efforts that can be made that aren't going to bankrupt us(though we seem to be doing fine bankrupting ourselves these days). And its not just our actions that are important, it is also the overall position we take as a country. Right now our official position as a country is that climate change and carbon emissions aren't a concern. President says our air and water are sparklingly clean and we need to be doing less not more to protect our environment. What message does that send the rest of the world?

25. Caliknight

Caliknight Legend
    Expand Collapse

We’ve already done that, hence why the administration is attempting to hold the biggest culprits feet to the fire now.

I covered that question already. AGW is not real. Massive amounts of plastics polluting the ocean is very real.

26. rurichdog

rurichdog Heisman Winner
    Expand Collapse

So basically: eff The Surfrider Foundation because Orange Man Bad

27. rurichdog

rurichdog Heisman Winner
    Expand Collapse

Think of Nebraska football games

28. m1ipabrams

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

No we haven’t, we pulled out of the Paris accord and basically ceded any influence we might have in this arena.

How is the admin holding the biggest culprits feet to the fire? Any specifics you can share that I can reference?

29. Caliknight

Caliknight Legend
    Expand Collapse

The Paris accord is dog shit. We were right to pull out. It was a Soetoro smoke screen to fool the imbecile.

We are focusing on it and called out nations most responsible for creating this environmental disaster. Clearly it’s a start. And something that is really needed.

Please continue attempting to twist this into a negative. It’s comical to see.