ADVERTISEMENT

ERIC Clapton was once asked a question...

KJ_RU

All Conference
Jul 25, 2001
Eric Clapton was asked, 'how does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world' his response was, 'I don't know you'd have to ask Prince.

I didn't respond to the thread about his death but I have to say, that guy was an amazing talent....I'm a life long fan...I'm listenening to his music today and all I can say is AMAZING!!!

Reactions: Bamm Bamm Rubble
Eric Clapton was asked, 'how does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world' his response was, 'I don't know you'd have to ask Prince.

I didn't respond to the thread about his death but I have to say, that guy was an amazing talent....I'm a life long fan...I'm listenening to his music today and all I can say is AMAZING!!!

I recently saw a live version of Clapton doing Bob Marley's "I Shot The Sheriff" that was as good as anything I've ever seen. Period.

Reactions: zappaa
I heard a story that Clapton (and someone else, forget who) were watching Hendrix play and were pretty humbled. Humbled is my word, they made a comment among themselves, I don't recall what it was supposed to be, but I'm thinking it was along the lines of "we're f*cked professionally, this guy is REALLY good"

Reactions: oldman87
I heard a story that Clapton (and someone else, forget who) were watching Hendrix play and were pretty humbled. Humbled is my word, they made a comment among themselves, I don't recall what it was supposed to be, but I'm thinking it was along the lines of "we're f*cked professionally, this guy is REALLY good"

Last edited:
Prince was probably a good guy & I liked some of his songs from the early to mid 80s. Do I revere a guy who bats his eyes & humps a guitar on stage while singing sophomoric lyrics? No sir! I am an RU man.

The marathon continues. Please consider your donation

This man's name needs to mentioned as one of the best guitarist of the past.

I was going to get up early and go to breakfast, now I'll probably spend all night surfing YouTube:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Yeah, it has been a while since I hang with Hendrix (thank you to OP), I just hope my neighbors don't call the cops on me. :joy:

Here one of my all time favorites, The Blues Album.

Reactions: valkabit
Did you know that Hendrix was a backup guitarist for Joey Dee and the Starlighters and so was Joe Pesci.

I love Clapton. his solos are probably the most melodic of all the greats. but his rhythm playing is pedestrian at best. Hendrix could bowl you over just playing a chord progression, and could play it ten different ways with subtle variations.

Jeff beck is the most underrated (aside from Prince). he's a wizard (still) and is just behind Van Halen and Jimi.

I love Stevie but he repeated his signature licks, runs & chord structures a bit too much to place in the top tier.

The others didn't have Claptons song writing abilities. They were just as good with playing the guitar, but writing many great songs and albums set Clapton apart.

The Layla Album is considered one of the top 3 albums in Rock.

Reactions: PhDKnight
You guys should listen to Larry Campbell, plays every string instrument as well as anyone on that list. Just listen to this sweet acoustic melody:

You can look up his electric tunes. The man has toured with Dylan, Bromberg, The Band, Marshall Tucker and of course with just his wife Teresa Campbell (great voice).

Technically the best living guitarist is probably some Julliard trained classical guitarist nobody ever heard of

As with all music-related threads on this board, there are many opinions that make me scratch my head and wonder about the "taste" of the poster. But everybody has their own likes and dislikes.
BTW, in 2011 Rolling Stone surveyed a group of the best guitarists...about 60 of them...and came up with what they called The 100 Greatest Guitarists of All TIme.
Here's their Top Ten:
1. Jimi Hendrix
2. Eric Clapton
3.Jimmy Page
4.Keith Richards
5.Jeff Beck
6. B.B.King
7.Chuck Berry
8.Eddie Van Halen
9.Duane Allman
10.Pete Townsend

How Stevie Ray(#12) and Albert King (#13) didn't make the Top Ten I'll never understand.
Prince was #35.
Personally, I've always thought that Page and Van Halen were over-rated and Beck incredibly boring.
And my personal preference is Neil Young(#17). I'll take any one of a dozen versions of Cortez The Killer any day.
I'm also partial to Dave Gilmour(#14), Derek Trucks(#16), J Mascis(#86), Luther Dickinson(unranked), Dan Auerbach (unranked), and Gary Clark Jr.(unranked).

Reactions: zoby
Not that he was the best, but Eddie Van Halen was extremely innovative, especially with the hammer taps.

And I would take Jimmy Page over most guitarists.

BTW, in 2011 Rolling Stone surveyed a group of the best guitarists...about 60 of them...and came up with what they called The 100 Greatest Guitarists of All TIme.).

No Roy Buchanan but they have Kurt Cobain? All these lists seem made to bewilder people lol.

I can't listen to a lot of "highly ranked" guitarists. Many get get too technical and thrashing the guitar in all directions seems to be more important than the song. A lot of what they do sound starts to sound "samey". Many of these players seem to favor Strats (like Vaughan - who needed heavy duty strings and very high action) which isn't a guitar I usually like that much. Hendrix is technical but I can listen and watch him. I don't feel like I'm watching his fingers flash all over the place like with Vaughan. In art school I knew guys who could draw like da Vinci at 12 yrs old. Oddly though their stuff was generally boring. Many great "technician artists" seem to be missing something.

Did you know that Hendrix was a backup guitarist for Joey Dee and the Starlighters and so was Joe Pesci.

He was also Airborne (25 jumps or so) and got kicked out for "strokin it" on guard duty. Born to play something lol

Reactions: valkabit
One would think that Joe Bonamassa would be in the conversation

Too normal - too "upsate NY" lol. He needs to get addicted to something and go to rehab or players like Cobain will always be ahead of him in ranks. His Youtube discussions about guitars are good. Even though I'm not into blues I can see he plays very well.

Sometimes it's fun to go back and listen to the guys that were the inventors of the guitar licks that became standard. Eddie Cochran, Bo Diddley, Robert Johnson, et al. The other "greats" mentioned in this thread for the most part just ripped off their licks and played them faster. Or behind their heads.

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
Those Parliament-Funkadelic guitarists were badass. Eddie Hazel, Mike Hampton, Blackbyrd McKnight, and Gary Shider. RIP Bernie Worrell.
P-Funk concerts are the most fun by far, I have probably seen them 15-20 times over the years.

Last edited:
Derek Trucks is incredible! Page was a riff machine & an innovator in guitar-layering and composition in general.

According to snopes, the question and answer are attributed to a whole bunch of different guitar players. Kind of a pick a player from column A and one from column B and insert into this interchange. Also, I think the article also said there's no evidence of anybody saying it.

You want a guitarist who really changed how guitar is played and what it sounds like? Go no further than the immortal Les Paul. Also, if anyone reading really likes guitar, you should venture into classical guitardom for a visit. Pretty amazing stuff.

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
To me Jimi was the best. Clapton supposedly had a perfect ear and was asked by Jimi to tune his guitar.

An above poster mention Clapton talking with someone when listening to Jimi and saying we are all...... I believe I had heard that was Paul McCartney he was walking with.

One guitarist that never gets mentioned, and not saying I am a fan of his, but Roy Clark was very talented also, but he played acoustic country music.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT