ADVERTISEMENT

Eric Legrand Anniversary.

superfan01

All American
May 29, 2003
Today marks the 9th anniversary of the Eric Legrand injury. While it was the low point of his life and Rutgers football how he has handled the injury since has been motivating and inspiring to anyone who knows his story.

There has been tremendous research and discoveries recently in spinal cord injuries. I recently raised money for the Reeve foundation and have seen how far along the research and progress has come.

This is Eric’s fundraising page. Today would be a good day to give a little to a great cause and support one of our greatest athletes.

http://www.teamlegrand.org/about

The next day,there was a player on the Lions who was immobilized on almost the same spot.Fortunately,he recovered fairly soon.

The next day,there was a player on the Lions who was immobilized on almost the same spot.Fortunately,he recovered fairly soon.

little known fact, the SAME day Eric was paralyzed a Luther College football player was also paralyzed...on the same play that Eric became paralyzed.
Chris Norton remains in a wheelchair but, despite the 3% odds that he would never walk again he was able to walk, with great assistance, at his wedding in 2018

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Norton

I've been donating to spinal cord charities since the early '90's. United Spinal Association and Paralyzed Veterans of America.
It was something that I wanted to do, not because of any special reason. I just decided to do it out of the blue. At that time I
was recently divorced and was fighting for custody of my daughter. Which I lost. She was in high school at the time. Later
she graduated from one college, earned another degree at RU, and out of the blue again decided she wanted to be a Physical
Therapist specializing in spinal cord injuries. Since the divorce I have spoken to her maybe 4 or 5 times over the years. She is
now a Doctor of Physical Therapy for over a dozen years in another state.
What made me decide to donate to these charities? What made my daughter decide to become a Dr. of Physical Therapy?
I have no idea.
On Oct 16th, 2010 I was at Met Life Stadium sitting in the 8th row of the lower section where only a few yards away Eric suffered
his injury. I prayed that day and every day since that he will someday get up from that spot and walk away.

I have done work for a foundation in Florida affiliated with Christopher Reeve / Legrand. They are making some pretty decent stem cell progress especially in Europe. Will it help Eric? God I hope so. My dad died of a particularpe type of cancer in 1968 The surgeon at that time told by my mom that in 15 or 20 years he might have lived. He was right. Let's hope that in 15 years or less there is a cure. The money spent is just green paper until it makes a difference.

ADVERTISEMENT