ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN article uses Corey as an example of new loophole, he can enter draft and still come bac

If he declares again I would be surprised if the staff would wait around and welcome him back again. If they had to that would reflect very poorly on this staff's ability or confidence to recruit a suitable replacement. At some point, you're either in or you're out.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
So basically corey can enter his name in the draft, but CANNOT do private workouts or do the nba combine. If he goes undrafted he goes into his senior year as as NBA free agent but still eligible to play for RU. Crazy loophole

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22854438/testing-nba-draft-waters-more-complicated-sounds

Corey, please read this and return:

“An added wrinkle that underclassmen will need to consider this year is the projected weakness of the 2019 draft, stemming from what appears to be a lackluster 2018 high school senior class.”

I think a lot depends on Strickland. If the staff feels confident of landing him if there is an opening at point guard I could see Pikiell not allowing this to be an option.

The 4 year scholarships are guaranteed. He would have no choice other than the usual push-out method.

Reactions: MV9000
Actually...the rule does not make any sense as written. If you read it, it contradicts itself regarding staying in the actual draft versus having to withdraw beforehand.

Reactions: MV9000
Actually...the rule does not make any sense as written. If you read it, it contradicts itself regarding staying in the actual draft versus having to withdraw beforehand.
it's definitely confusing as hell haha

The 4 year scholarships are guaranteed. He would have no choice other than the usual push-out method.
If a player declares for the draft and states his intention to leave I would find it hard to believe that the Big Ten would mandate that Rutgers would have to guarantee him a spot on the roster. If he wanted to remain a student and not play basketball (which I'm positive would not happen), then push comes to shove Rutgers could agree to that I would imagine.

Reactions: koleszar
Shoes has some ties with NBA teams. I would not be surprised if he was pushing for them to entertain Sanders.

On the flipside, if Sanders leaves, Shoes may leave. I know at the time the staff was brought on, there was a big topic about Shoes and Sanders have to stay together.

By all means, Shoes seems like a good guy. I know he had a scandle,etc, but he seems to have a nice family. I have also run into him on campus, and he was friendly. I just know when a new staff comes in, they usually send the old staff out.

If he declares again I would be surprised if the staff would wait around and welcome him back again. If they had to that would reflect very poorly on this staff's ability or confidence to recruit a suitable replacement. At some point, you're either in or you're out.

Not sure how anyone makes this leap here....we have potential replacements being recruited this spring but none are at the caliber of Sanders for his last year.

On other hand the leap of the "team chemistry', is not a bad thing....the trade of no Sanders (for perhaps Strickland as an example) would be a better item for chemistry and appearance on paper.

At same time, i don't see any downside if Strickland is the replacement....we would get a pure PG and force feed Baker and Mathis for more shots.

The ideal situation is you keep Sanders and land Strickland so there is a succession plan in place. I would also almost assuredly guarantee that RU would be consensus selection for 14th without Sanders...while that may satisfy a few fans looking at chemistry, there is a fallout impact as well.

it's definitely confusing as hell haha
Check Jonathan Givony on twitter for an explanation and see the RoundTable thread. It is basically something that probably no one has ever done and probably should never try, as it would be stupid.

Reactions: kcg88
Couldn't Corey theoretically just go to his boy Dwayne Bacon of the hornets, and say "hey ask a scout what they think of me" and if bacon says "Late 2nd or undrafted" then he knows what he should do
Corey can get the same information from the coaching staff at Rutgers. NBA Scouts have watch Rutgers multiple times this season.

Reactions: Ole Cabbagehead
I think a lot depends on Strickland. If the staff feels confident of landing him if there is an opening at point guard I could see Pikiell not allowing this to be an option.

This would be the worst strategy possible.

It would quickly get out that Pike doesn't care about the well being and future of his players.

Pike should be encouraging Corey to do this, assuming it's an accurate possibility. And welcome him back with open arms if he decides to return. Rutgers should be thought of as a home.

The ideal situation is you keep Sanders and land Strickland so there is a succession plan in place. I would also almost assuredly guarantee that RU would be consensus selection for 14th without Sanders...while that may satisfy a few fans looking at chemistry, there is a fallout impact as well.
:raised_hands: PLEASE :raised_hands:

Check Jonathan Givony on twitter for an explanation and see the RoundTable thread. It is basically something that probably no one has ever done and probably should never try, as it would be stupid.

This, basically. What happens if he tries it and then either the NBA or NCAA says "Oh, yeah, we're fixing that loophole?"

Not sure why we are assuming that Strickland’s ship is dependent on Corey’s ship opening up or not.

In comparing Minnesota, Wisconsin and Rutgers I'd think immediate playing time is the one thing we offer that the other schools don't........that and high probability you know who your coach will be. We pretty much lose in everything else, other than maybe weather.

edit...just realized ship you meant scholarship and not ship in a figurative way.

This, basically. What happens if he tries it and then either the NBA or NCAA says "Oh, yeah, we're fixing that loophole?"
That, and if he went through all this and came back and had a great senior year...too bad, you are now ineligible to be drafted. He'd have to go the free agent route. Just seems silly to go through when his chances of being drafted are so low.

This is all ridiculous.
It is very, very, VERY unlikely Corey gets drafted. Corey and his advisors must know that as well. Now, might he want to start making money overseas considering his family situation? OF COURSE, and I totally understand that. But he would be in a WORSE situation next year if he is in fact draftable (POSSIBLE with a strong senior year) and doesn't get drafted - the money would be much, much much less.
Corey, you're a great player and I want you back. But it's time to make a decision one way or the other.

This is not good for us....good for Corey though
If this is truly the way the rules play out, why is it not good? Sanders is not getting drafted. So this process would allow him to learn that lesson and come back.

Of course, if he wants to play in Europe or elsewhere professionally (if he can't get on an NBA team), then he's leaving regardless.

If this is truly the way the rules play out, why is it not good? Sanders is not getting drafted. So this process would allow him to learn that lesson and come back.

Of course, if he wants to play in Europe or elsewhere professionally (if he can't get on an NBA team), then he's leaving regardless.

1. If he returned it would be another off season not spent with his teammates
2. if he left most likely it wouldn't give us ample time to execute Plan B

Just a hunch....I think we don't have a shot with Strickland if Sanders stays

NJH we are consensus #14 with or without Sanders.

Only chance would be Minnesota if there is no Jordan Murphy or Northwestern. Even so Rutgers at #14 is a very safe pick.

based on what info? Did anyone take into consideration what other teams have coming back, who's leaving, etc.?

YES. Plus 2,1,3 and 3 are our win totals the last 4 years in B1G. The 1,3 and 3 were with Corey Sanders at PG. Our incoming recruiting class "on paper" is weak and we lose Williams and Freeman. I can't see how an outsider would think we will be much improved.

If coreys back Rutgers is a middle of the pack big ten team next year who will be in a similar position to nebraska/psu this year imo

based on what info? Did anyone take into consideration what other teams have coming back, who's leaving, etc.?

YES. Plus 2,1,3 and 3 are our win totals the last 4 years in B1G. The 1,3 and 3 were with Corey Sanders at PG. Our incoming recruiting class "on paper" is weak and we lose Williams and Freeman. I can't see how an outsider would think we will be much improved.

What recruiting class are you looking at?

Please, someone explain to me how we can have both Sanders and Strickland nex year. No one, other than possibly Corey, is leaving. There has not been a rumor, rumble, tweet, suggestion, hint (pick your own word here) of any one leaving. Only Corey, if he goes pro. Until there is a formal announcement of a departure we have no scholarships to give 13 is the limit and we are at that number.

Please, someone explain to me how we can have both Sanders and Strickland nex year. No one, other than possibly Corey, is leaving. There has not been a rumor, rumble, tweet, suggestion, hint (pick your own word here) of any one leaving. Only Corey, if he goes pro. Until there is a formal announcement of a departure we have no scholarships to give 13 is the limit and we are at that number.
Yet the staff spent resources and time to come down to Central Florida multiple times in February and March to watch Strickland and invite him to take an official visit.

Sometimes you have to read between the lines.

Yet the staff spent resources and time to come down to Central Florida multiple times in February and March to watch Strickland and invite him to take an official visit.

Sometimes you have to read between the lines.
Death, taxes, and roster turnover in college basketball. I can't believe that people are still questioning whether there will be attrition or not. Forget the obvious candidates that have been speculated about ad nauseum on this board, there's usually one or two you DIDN'T expect. Egads.

This is all ridiculous.
It is very, very, VERY unlikely Corey gets drafted. Corey and his advisors must know that as well. Now, might he want to start making money overseas considering his family situation? OF COURSE, and I totally understand that. But he would be in a WORSE situation next year if he is in fact draftable (POSSIBLE with a strong senior year) and doesn't get drafted - the money would be much, much much less.
Corey, you're a great player and I want you back. But it's time to make a decision one way or the other.
Not totally following...
Why would Corey make much much less if he leaves college next year instead of this year?

I think it's a good thing that he was used as the example for that ESPN story.

350.png

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT