ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN Bubble Teams

Caliknight

Legend
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2001
Ones to watch. Us, UNC, Syracuse, Villanova

As of today we look pretty good in comparison. A win next weekend would be very good for our chances

Our RPI and SoS is better than the other three. The one thing we lack that UNC has and the others don’t is a top 10 win as of now.

Reactions: Wagram97
Almost got a big break. Marquette took Villanova to OT, but lost.

If we’re being honest this isn’t a tournament team. Probably have to get to the Big Ten final even be in the discussion.
All teams that make the tournament are “tournament teams” and we should be proud if they’re fortunate enough to make it again. A win against MD or Hop in the B1G 1st round will be solid for the resume and may be enough to make it unless things go crazy in other conference tournaments. But I do agree, if they make the tournament, will they be able make an impact, probably not. But 3 straight NCAAs and a final 4, no coach in college would turn that down if you offered that up for the future.

Air Force beat Jacksonville today, so it's pretty much AQ or nothing for them. Cuse lost to UVA 19+12 and get Duke next week. But I must say their extra man is excellent.

Both RU and 'Cuse have must win games next week

Last edited:

Lose the 5-6? No
It would be the 3 vs 6 game since Rutgers must be the 6 seed based on tiebreaker (loss to OSU). JHU would be the 3 if they lose tonight (currently trailing MD)…MD would be 3rd with a loss.

Reactions: Wagram97
If we’re being honest this isn’t a tournament team. Probably have to get to the Big Ten final even be in the discussion.
This year it might be.

We play in a very strong conference. We lost one game out of conference to a top 10 team.

Uva didn’t win a conference game for 4 years yet made the tournament. It’s time for the Bi1G to start working for us

If we aren’t a tourney team, then let’s hear who is. UNC? Syracuse? Denver?

All teams that make the tournament are “tournament teams” and we should be proud if they’re fortunate enough to make it again. A win against MD or Hop in the B1G 1st round will be solid for the resume and may be enough to make it unless things go crazy in other conference tournaments. But I do agree, if they make the tournament, will they be able make an impact, probably not. But 3 straight NCAAs and a final 4, no coach in college would turn that down if you offered that up for the future.
3 tourneys in a row with a final four and quarters would be huge accomplishment for those players.

This year it might be.

We play in a very strong conference. We lost one game out of conference to a top 10 team.

Uva didn’t win a conference game for 4 years yet made the tournament. It’s time for the Bi1G to start working for us

If we aren’t a tourney team, then let’s hear who is. UNC? Syracuse? Denver?

That all hinges on winning next week. If not, you have 3 or 4 (if OSU wins) Big 10 teams in front.

Have to see how it plays out but our overall resume is better than UM and OSU.

Is the field this bad?
I get we play in a tough conference, and have a tough schedule, but really

knights have to beat maryland next weekend. if they do that, they'll get in.

but if they don't, start booking your May tee times. they would be 8-6 with an RPI in the 12-15 range and a maximum of 3 top 20 wins. that won't get it done this year, even with a weak bubble

it's win and you're in. lose and go home. i feel confident about that

knights have to beat maryland next weekend. if they do that, they'll get in.

but if they don't, start booking your May tee times. they would be 8-6 with an RPI in the 12-15 range and a maximum of 3 top 20 wins. that won't get it done this year, even with a weak bubble

it's win and you're in. lose and go home. i feel confident about that
So we just have to beat the team against which we are 1-35 all time, and on the road, to get into the NCAA Tournament?

Piece of cake!

Reactions: biazza38
So we just have to beat the team against which we are 1-35 all time, and on the road, to get into the NCAA Tournament?

Piece of cake!
Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

Reactions: Degaz-RU
I wouldn’t say destroyed. We played close to even after that dreadful first quarter. .

The way things have gone recently it seems like the 1st qtr will be the key. Keep things within 2 that quarter and that game will be very interesting.
In all but the PSU loss, the 1st QTR was our kryptonite for the other losses. For the losses, if the other team had matched our goal output in the 1st, Army and Maryland would have been wins. For OSU, they would have had just a 2 goal lead to start the 4th. For JHU, we would have had a 1 goal lead to start the 4th.

In all but the PSU loss, the 1st QTR was our kryptonite for the other losses. For the losses, if the other team had matched our goal output in the 1st, Army and Maryland would have been wins. For OSU, they would have had just a 2 goal lead to start the 4th. For JHU, we would have had a 1 goal lead to start the 4th.
I'm not sure I agree with such a mathematical analysis. Teams play differently based on the game situation. For instance, in the Maryland game, I don't think it was necessarily a wash after the first quarter. In my view, the game got tighter on the scoreboard because Maryland was just trying to burn time and run out the clock. Had the game been closer, I think they'd have played differently. I don't think Maryland won simply because of the first quarter.

Full disclosure: I am a Maryland fan...

I'm not sure I agree with such a mathematical analysis. Teams play differently based on the game situation. For instance, in the Maryland game, I don't think it was necessarily a wash after the first quarter. In my view, the game got tighter on the scoreboard because Maryland was just trying to burn time and run out the clock. Had the game been closer, I think they'd have played differently. I don't think Maryland won simply because of the first quarter.

I agree and this especially evident in the 4th quarter when MD was stalling and RU was running and gunning. RU has to figure out the 1st quarter issues if they hope to make a run in the B1G tournament and possible make it to the NCAAs.

Reactions: biazza38

Yeah, you are right, but where is the fun in that. Have played enough to know the "what if" is tough, it all changes, but cannot deny the 1st QTR was rough for those losses.

When you dig yourself into a hole and go down 3-4 goals out of the gate, it’s very hard to claw back…very hard.

Yeah, you are right, but where is the fun in that. Have played enough to know the "what if" is tough, it all changes, but cannot deny the 1st QTR was rough for those losses.
Yep. And Rutgers definitely has the talent to start better and outplay the Terps…

ADVERTISEMENT