ADVERTISEMENT

Football ESPN FPI projects the remaining games on Rutgers Football's schedule

Too soon to tell. The problem for our team is that there are a number of close games they could win, in theory, but it's hard and unlikely to win every close game. If they merely split among Nebraska, Iowa, Indiana and Maryland, which seems very possible, they're 5-7.

Reactions: FrankieRU
If the progress we made from the 1st half to second half of BC game continues, we will beat Iowa, Indiana, and Nebraska. In the recent past when we won a game, we would call out 2-3 players who made the difference. After the BC game, 10-15 players were identified as making significant contributions to the victory. The OL will continue to gel, the RBs and WRs are good, a lot of defensive players stepped up and when was the last time we intimidated an NFL potential QB? Our QBs played OK and will grow with each game. The Wagner and Temple games will help work out the kinks and give our young players more experience. I firmly believe we enter the OSU game 4&0. The risk is too many injuries would impact the season.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Too soon to tell.
Agreed, but fun to speculate.
If they merely split among Nebraska, Iowa, Indiana and Maryland, which seems very possible, they're 5-7.
Disagreed. This suggests we have jo chance of beating anyone rose on the schedule. OSU is extremely unlikely. Michigan was a dog fight last year. I refuse to say we couldn't beat PSU, MSU, or Minnesota. Even if we assume it is only a 20% chance for a win in each of those three games, that translates to a (64/125) chance of dropping all three. Basically a coin flip for a 6th win.

Reactions: thegock
Is psu that bad or MD that good that our chances of beating them are the same?

Agreed, but fun to speculate.

Disagreed. This suggests we have jo chance of beating anyone rose on the schedule. OSU is extremely unlikely. Michigan was a dog fight last year. I refuse to say we couldn't beat PSU, MSU, or Minnesota. Even if we assume it is only a 20% chance for a win in each of those three games, that translates to a (64/125) chance of dropping all three. Basically a coin flip for a 6th win.
Our team has not scored more than 7 points against Penn State since 2014, when it scored all of 10 points. Unless this offense improves a whole lot over the season there is little reason to believe they will beat Penn State. The record is not much better against MSU except in a down year for them, with a new coach, when they were probably caught napping. Minnesota is the only question mark.

Every year Maryland starts out like a house on fire, then they fall apart by season's end.
We've had a mixed record with Maryland and they're a program on a similar level as ours. Until they prove they're a stronger team than usual in a given year it can't be assumed they'll beat us. On a similar note, we've never beaten PSU and almost never come close. Until our team gives reason to think they can beat PSU we have little reason to believe they will.

If the progress we made from the 1st half to second half of BC game continues, we will beat Iowa, Indiana, and Nebraska. In the recent past when we won a game, we would call out 2-3 players who made the difference. After the BC game, 10-15 players were identified as making significant contributions to the victory. The OL will continue to gel, the RBs and WRs are good, a lot of defensive players stepped up and when was the last time we intimidated an NFL potential QB? Our QBs played OK and will grow with each game. The Wagner and Temple games will help work out the kinks and give our young players more experience. I firmly believe we enter the OSU game 4&0. The risk is too many injuries would impact the season.
What progress from the 1st to 2nd half ? One successful, game winning drive against one particular team doesn’t suggest anything at all re: improvement and future outcomes. Maybe we will win some conference games, maybe we won’t. The BC game doesn’t change conference expectations.

What progress from the 1st to 2nd half ? One successful, game winning drive against one particular team doesn’t suggest anything at all re: improvement and future outcomes. Maybe we will win some conference games, maybe we won’t. The BC game doesn’t change conference expectations.
Let’s see - in the first half we made national kick yourself in the foot news for punting on 4th and goal after 3 back to back self inflicted penalties in the red zone. I’m not sure we committed a penalty in the second half so I would say that qualifies as progress half over half?

Also - How did you not see progress on the defensive end in the game? Did you not see how we shut them down in the second half?

Let’s see - in the first half we made national kick yourself in the foot news for punting on 4th and goal after 3 back to back self inflicted penalties in the red zone. I’m not sure we committed a penalty in the second half so I would say that qualifies as progress half over half?

Also - How did you not see progress on the defensive end in the game? Did you not see how we shut them down in the second half?
Trying to explain anything positive to shelby is a losing cause

One game, however, is a small sample and just because the team does better in the second half of the first game than it did in the first half doesn't mean it will keep getting better with each half of football played. Just as some fans get overly depressed from one bad half or one bad game, some fans get way too giddy from one good half or one win. We call that bipolar depression. One close game over a very mediocre team and we're seeing posts about bowl games and which ones we don't want, flattery from sports personalities, ranking, assumed wins, even strutting. I know fans are passionate but our fans can get very carried away over very little. We still have MAJOR questions about our offense--like "do we have a QB who can complete passes at a strong level of effectiveness?" Even the running game should give reason for pause: it might've pounded the ball hard at the end of the game against Boston College, but it wasn't doing that earlier in the game and things might not go as well against the much tougher, corn-fed D-lines of the Big Ten: Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, Iowa and Nebraska.

One game, however, is a small sample and just because the team does better in the second half of the first game than it did in the first half doesn't mean it will keep getting better with each half of football played. Just as some fans get overly depressed from one bad half or one bad game, some fans get way too giddy from one good half or one win. We call that bipolar depression. One close game over a very mediocre team and we're seeing posts about bowl games and which ones we don't want, flattery from sports personalities, ranking, assumed wins, even strutting. I know fans are passionate but our fans can get very carried away over very little. We still have MAJOR questions about our offense--like "do we have a QB who can complete passes at a strong level of effectiveness?" Even the running game should give reason for pause: it might've pounded the ball hard at the end of the game against Boston College, but it wasn't doing that earlier in the game and things might not go as well against the much tougher, corn-fed D-lines of the Big Ten: Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, Iowa and Nebraska.
Exactly right. Yes we played better in the second half but that is irrelevant to season predictions. Every game is different. Suggesting we will have ‘x’ wins instead of “y” based on playing better in the second half last Saturday is dumb.

Also - the post was spot on in terms of injuries being the concern and arguably was the issue last season too. In the end, we could not sustain the loss of both O’Neal and Sutton on the OL. We didn’t have enough depth. Things looked promising for us through the Michigan game.

Let's see if Little Tua actually can remain healthy. Their season hinges on him staying upright and playing every game.

Didn't we get over 200 yds in the 2nd half against the corn fed Mich defense last year?

We still need a lot of improvement but I don't see the BC game the way some do.
In the first half, we were using a couple of QB's that were not expecting to get that many starts. New OL- we had mistakes- the penalties and the thing like Langan's drop are the only reason BC had a lead. Once that started to settle in, is where we started to dominate. But, you never really felt that BC had the game in hand. It seemed more like, we were allowing them to stay in it.

Exactly right. Yes we played better in the second half but that is irrelevant to season predictions. Every game is different. Suggesting we will have ‘x’ wins instead of “y” based on playing better in the second half last Saturday is dumb.

Nobody suggested what your saying. The poster you responded to was simply saying it was an encouraging sign that our team improved (showed progress) from the first half to the second. Then you said there was no notable progress / improvement other than one 96 yard drive. That part of your post simply is not true. The team got it together, adjusted, and played a much improved second half. That doesn’t mean we’ll continue to improve incrementally each game, and injuries will also be a factor, but the in-game improvements are certainly a much better sign for the future than if we hadn’t Been able to turn things around.

Didn't we get over 200 yds in the 2nd half against the corn fed Mich defense last year?
196yds for the entire game. 111yds against OSU, 111yds against MSU, 63yds against Northwestern, 95yds against Wisconsin, 67yds against PSU, 164yds against Maryland, 230yds against Illinois, 218yds against Indiana. And our running game is not like Wisconsin, where the offense is designed around rushing and doing it behind a powerful O-line that can manhandle almost anyone--at least I hope that's not the goal because I don't see how we're ever going to get that kind of talent. We need a viable passing game alongside the rush. Our offense is nothing but questions right now.

196yds for the entire game. 111yds against OSU, 111yds against MSU, 63yds against Northwestern, 95yds against Wisconsin, 67yds against PSU, 164yds against Maryland, 230yds against Illinois, 218yds against Indiana. And our running game is not like Wisconsin, where the offense is designed around rushing and doing it behind a powerful O-line that can manhandle almost anyone--at least I hope that's not the goal because I don't see how we're ever going to get that kind of talent. We need a viable passing game alongside the rush. Our offense is nothing but questions right now.
I was talking total yards in the 2nd half against Mich- not just rushing.

Let's see if Little Tua actually can remain healthy. Their season hinges on him staying upright and playing every game.
He's a head case. When he starts a game well he tends to play well throughout and can be very difficult to beat. When the opposite happens everything falls apart out there for him.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Dude you would be the FIRST person to "change expectations" - for the worse - had we lost. Also, HOW ON EARTH did you NOT see a better team in the 2nd half? I'd say holding a future top 3 round NFL QB draft pick, and a couple of sure-fire NFL receivers pretty much in check, WHILE keeping them to ONLY 28 net yards on 27 rushing attempts, is pretty damn good. I'm not even sure how many total yards BC had in the 2nd half but I doubt that they hit 100?

Reactions: timewelltell90
I'm not even sure how many total yards BC had in the 2nd half but I doubt that they hit 100?

Sorry, Nuts, they got 100. :)

According to the ESPN Gametracker, here are their second half possessions:

3 plays, -14 yards, fumble
11 plays, 66 yards, touchdown (four first downs)
3 plays, 4 yards, punt
6 plays, 42 yards, interception (two first downs)
6 plays, 17 yards, punt (one first down)
3 plays, -15 yards, punt

Total: 32 plays, 100 yards, seven first downs. Three punts, two turnovers, one good scoring drive.

In the first half, they had 212 yards of offense and 11 first downs. The defensive stats are far better in the second half.

Dude you would be the FIRST person to "change expectations" - for the worse - had we lost. Also, HOW ON EARTH did you NOT see a better team in the 2nd half? I'd say holding a future top 3 round NFL QB draft pick, and a couple of sure-fire NFL receivers pretty much in check, WHILE keeping them to ONLY 28 net yards on 27 rushing attempts, is pretty damn good. I'm not even sure how many total yards BC had in the 2nd half but I doubt that they hit 100?
Not true. A loss wouldn’t have changed my conference expectations either. The specific point I refute is that the progress from half 1 to half 2 suggests an improvement trend which will lead to multiple conference wins. And I say hogwash. One half, good or bad, means nothing to future success. Different teams, talents, schemes, etc

Sorry, Nuts, they got 100. :)

According to the ESPN Gametracker, here are their second half possessions:

3 plays, -14 yards, fumble
11 plays, 66 yards, touchdown (four first downs)
3 plays, 4 yards, punt
6 plays, 42 yards, interception (two first downs)
6 plays, 17 yards, punt (one first down)
3 plays, -15 yards, punt

Total: 32 plays, 100 yards, seven first downs. Three punts, two turnovers, one good scoring drive.

In the first half, they had 212 yards of offense and 11 first downs. The defensive stats are far better in the second half.
HAHAHAHA!!! Fair enough!!! (And nice work!!)

Not true. A loss wouldn’t have changed my conference expectations either. The specific point I refute is that the progress from half 1 to half 2 suggests an improvement trend which will lead to multiple conference wins. And I say hogwash. One half, good or bad, means nothing to future success. Different teams, talents, schemes, etc
So you’re a whole premises is based on only US and not the other teams on our schedule and how they looked this past weekend. Both Nebraska and Iowa looked awful, let’s be honest, would you not agree?

We should come and visit this thread after we beat Iowa. If we do, it will be the first time since 2012 that we started 4-0. To me that is progress. Also, all the people who picked us to go 3-9 this year would be out of the running after 4 games. To me it’s better to be optimistic.

So you’re a whole premises is based on only US and not the other teams on our schedule and how they looked this past weekend. Both Nebraska and Iowa looked awful, let’s be honest, would you not agree?
The word is premise. Premises means something different. I didn’t watch either game, but based on final score and minimal analysis it seems Iowa sucked. Nebraska faded like BC did. Ours was a close game. Whether we won or lost, or whether Iowa or Nebraska won or lost doesnt suggest we will beat either or them. Or lose to them.

But you are still missing my point. My point is, improved execution on both sides of the ball in the second half, and moreso the defense rather than the offense with just one drive, doesnt move the needle for predictions. It’s just one good half.

The point I reject is that the improvement between halves means something for the rest of the season. It doesn’t. One half against BC isn’t evidence of anything.

The word is premise. Premises means something different. I didn’t watch either game, but based on final score and minimal analysis it seems Iowa sucked. Nebraska faded like BC did. Ours was a close game. Whether we won or lost, or whether Iowa or Nebraska won or lost doesnt suggest we will beat either or them. Or lose to them.

But you are still missing my point. My point is, improved execution on both sides of the ball in the second half, and moreso the defense rather than the offense with just one drive, doesnt move the needle for predictions. It’s just one good half.

The point I reject is that the improvement between halves means something for the rest of the season. It doesn’t. One half against BC isn’t evidence of anything.
1) my bad on the voice texting

2) pretty sure we can go undefeated and you wouldn’t be happy…Jesus

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT