ADVERTISEMENT

ESPNU Talking About Maryland/RU Trophy Names

HeavenUniv.

Hall of Famer
Sep 21, 2004
Just turned on ESPNU and they were talking about possible names for Maryland/Rutgers trophy game.

The Colonial Cup

A trophy that incorporates a 1776 Colonial Flag onto a plaque on the trophy like the one below. But you replace the third star from the top with an "R" and the seventh star with an "M" that represents the entry position of these two original states that became America.
1776_american_flag_print-r77c72005273c41929b76776caca10d02_aa0u_8byvr_512.jpg

Last edited:
Jim,
They are talking about suggestions submitted on @ESPNCFB

Last edited:
B1G Shore Trophy (my suggestion. Something playing off that we're the only teams on the coast in the B1G).

Reactions: brodo
Look the national perception of Rutgers and Marland is that we suck. Really important that

#1 PSU loses to one of us each year.
#2 UM/OSU/MSU need to lose a game to one of us each year.

Rutgers and Maryland can't trade places with 6th and 7th place.

Beside the obvious of Maryland or Rutgers winning the division, we need to be out of the bottom to slots.

We need to finish like 2nd and 5th or 3rd and 4th. There is no reason that can't happen in the future.

B1G East SEC West
Ohio State Alabama
Michigan LSU
MSU Auburn
Penn State Texas A&M
Maryland Arkansas
Rutgers Ole Miss
Indiana Miss State

The two toughest divisions in College football and top to bottom the SEC West has seen plenty of movement, that's all we have to do. When RU or MD beats any of the top 4 historical teams it will mean something nation wide.

Right now, we gotta take shit. I still like idea of trophy.

Even though both Rutgers and Maryland have seriously upgraded their coaching staff and are both committed to upgrading their faculties and both of our fanbases are exited for what the future holds...

The rest of the country still looks at us as doormats until proven otherwise.

Until we can actually beat OSU, Michigan, MSU and PSU more than once in a blue moon, that will not change.

On the plus side, we will not be held by the same standards as those schools above, so we just have to have a winning record every year and the jokes will lessen and ultimately go away.

To build out Revolutionary War ties I say The Bronze Musket (aka like the Little Brown Jug, the trophy is an object not a trophy.) They could get a reproduction revolutionary musket and have it bronzed. On one side of the stock it says Rutgers and you can engrave the years they win., The other side Maryland and engrave the years when they win.

To build out Revolutionary War ties I say The Bronze Musket (aka like the Little Brown Jug, the trophy is an object not a trophy.) They could get a reproduction revolutionary musket and have it bronzed. On one side of the stock it says Rutgers and you can engrave the years they win., The other side Maryland and engrave the years when they win.
This is something I could back

Wow I like this a lot, someone send this over to Hobbs ASAP

The Blue Claw is what it should be named. Since NJ, MD and DE are famous for blue claw crabs (especially MD I know) it would make sense. Make it a large bronzed crab claw or something with the years and winners engraved on it.

The Blue Claw is what it should be named. Since NJ, MD and DE are famous for blue claw crabs (especially MD I know) it would make sense. Make it a large bronzed crab claw or something with the years and winners engraved on it.

Being from Maryland, I have to correct. NJ isn't famous for blue "claw" crabs. Maryland owns that. And when there, I wouldn't call them that. People will think you don't know what you are talking about.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Cali,
Are you hearing anything about the new Rutgers Lacrosse facility and recruiting ?

The Delaware Dingleberry..... loser has to keep Delaware

don't forget to wipe

What Revolutionary War battles were there in Maryland? Jersey had several. Still like the musket idea though.

I think it would be cool if the trophy was a small fishing boat.....big enough to fit two people, but not too big for football players to carry over their heads around on the field after winning it.

Also, the winners get to paint their logo somewhere on it every year! That would add a memorable visual element not unlike the Old Oaken Bucket receiving a new chain link with the initial of the winning team each year.

MagicWing-03.jpg

What Revolutionary War battles were there in Maryland? Jersey had several. Still like the musket idea though.
There were no major battles there, but the soldiers from Maryland who served in the Continental Army were key for Washington, and like NJ is one of the original 13. So it seems natural to link that history of the two states help founding this country. The statue linked above by another poster, is for a civil war soldier. Which IMO doesn't work because Maryland was on both sides of the fence in that one.

Cali,
Are you hearing anything about the new Rutgers Lacrosse facility and recruiting ?

I haven't heard an update on the facility, but recruiting is going well. We added some nice pieces that became available late for this class, to add to what the staff believes is a talented one already.

Reactions: RUMountie
Being from Maryland, I have to correct. NJ isn't famous for blue "claw" crabs. Maryland owns that. And when there, I wouldn't call them that. People will think you don't know what you are talking about.
Yeah.. and Iowa has better corn (there fans will find out otherwise when they visit). We're talking crabs here.. the same species.. Chesapeake Bay vs Barnegat Bay... same damn crab.

Yeah.. and Iowa has better corn (there fans will find out otherwise when they visit). We're talking crabs here.. the same species.. Chesapeake Bay vs Barnegat Bay... same damn crab.
Barnegat Bay crabs > chesapeake bay .... more salty/flavorful

For even more obvious reasons, what about the Delaware trophy? The Du Pont Trophy? The Biden Trophy? Very tongue in cheek but really works. Afraid if Mason Dixon Trophy people will say it should be Maryland and PSU.

Natural geographical rival and same time of admission into the B1G. Have to start somewhere. Why not be creative and have fun?

Last edited:
Reactions: rubigtimenow
For even more obvious reasons, what about the Delaware trophy? The Du Pont Trophy? The Biden Trophy? Very tongue in cheek but really works. Afraid if Mason Dixon Trophy people will say it should be Maryland and PSU.
Yeah they might say that. Especially since the Mason-Dixon Line separates Maryland and Pennsylvania / Delaware. It has nothing to do with New Jersey.

No one thinks of crabs when they think of NJ. No one.

It would be like calling the trophy a pork roll sandwich or whatever they are called.

Reactions: RUpop
Striped Bass trophy. Stripers are caught in Jersey and Maryland.

Big 60lb Striper replica.

Not to be confused with the Stripper Trophy which would be a Stripper pole.

Striped Bass trophy. Stripers are caught in Jersey and Maryland.

Big 60lb Striper replica.

Not to be confused with the Stripper Trophy which would be a Stripper pole.

Will it sing each school's Fight Song? If we can get it to sing Upstream, Red Team! then maybe... or not.

IMG_0398.jpg

Reactions: RU_DIO
ADVERTISEMENT