ADVERTISEMENT

Eugene seems to diss Pike

On IG still active last post 3 days ago, he only follows Corey, Shaq Carter, and of current players, Doucoure and Cliff.

You right his stats below show obvious improvement. What was i thinking, Dana Altman a true genius transformed Eugene's game.

2018-2019 vs 2020-2021 he is +1.2 minutes, -0.2 OR, -1.7 DR, ,-0.1 assists, +0.6 blk, +0.8 steals, -0.1 TOs, +2.9 pts.

As i said before outside of his additional 2.9 point per game he is effectively the same player. just taking more shots.

You should be using per 100 possessions and individual advanced efficiency metrics when they are available. His efficiency is improved across the board. “Just taking more shots” is profoundly and purposefully ignorant.

I’m not sure why you’re so hell bent on ripping Eugene. He’s having a great year. No need to let fanaticism overtake objectivity.

He did not show enough in prep school to get any high major offers other than RU. Under Pike, his improvement from his 1st to 2nd, and his 2nd to 3rd seasons was remarkable. His improvement from junior to a second-year senior is undeniable, but certainly not remarkable. He is averaging three more points and two fewer rebounds a game.

It is just odd that he did not give Pike any credit for his development as a player. While I will always root for MJ, as long as it is not against RU, I just don’t care what EO does. As a fan, he is dead to me.

You should be using per 100 possessions and individual advanced efficiency metrics when they are available. His efficiency is improved across the board. “Just taking more shots” is profoundly and purposefully ignorant.

I’m not sure why you’re so hell bent on ripping Eugene. He’s having a great year. No need to let fanaticism overtake objectivity.

Why are you surprised Rutgers fans are ripping EO? He may be having a great year - but whether intentional or not, he took a passive/agressive shot at RU/Pike on the way out of RU and now in this article. Makes little sense when Pike was instrumental in greatly developing him during his first 3 years and made him RU's captain.

EO grew and improved while at Rutgers and it's great that he feels he has grown further at Oregon. But it's childish to burn bridges, especially when you might need end up working with someone again at some point. Further, he also has a significant edge at 24 years old and playing significant time against 19-20 year olds.

One thing that Omoruyi greatly benefited from with Altman was a transfer redshirt year - he was able to work on development for an extra season, adding new wrinkles to his game, learning from tape on what he could be doing better, and getting fully healthy.

His last two seasons at Rutgers were largely spent playing hurt, and I have to imagine a lot of his time off the court was in therapy/rehab trying to get his knee right. Having a season to get back to full health, all while working on improvement - and under a new set of eyes within a new system - was huge for him.

So yeah - there were things he didn't know while he was here, and things he didn't have time to work on. That's no knock on Pike from me, just the reality of the situation.

I think almost any player would say that given the chance to learn under two P5 coaches. Obviously they're going to learn different things from each coach and grow their skillsets.

You do know carino is a SHU fan and alumnus-- do you know many of their fans that don't love to make RU look bad

He went to SHU, but he seems to have a genuine love of all things NJ basketball. He's never seemed one sided and writes great articles about RU. Jerry making RU look bad would be bad for his job. Period

I've learned more as I've gone on in life. Doesn't mean I wasn't taught properly by previous mentors
Yep. He was a raw recruit when he came here that made any
number of dumb mistakes on the court. If anything, his time
here DID prepare him for higher levels of achievement elsewhere

Didn’t read the article, don’t care to. I don’t like how Eugene left but it’s over now. Only thing I can say is EO’s choice to leave allowed him to play in the NCAA tournament, something he wouldn’t have done if he stayed here.

Reactions: bac2therac
Didn’t read the article, don’t care to. I don’t like how Eugene left but it’s over now. Only thing I can say is EO’s choice to leave allowed him to play in the NCAA tournament, something he wouldn’t have done if he stayed here.

unless his presence here made our teams worse he would have. He was going to sit out last year anyway right?

Also even if he played here last year he would’ve been on a tournament level team. Unless he predicted Covid he was completely wrong about that.

Reactions: hbbsm713
Do you know he was the reason we didn’t get McClung?

Mostly just frustration on my part but it has been heavily intimated in a few forum posts (that I’ll admit I’ll have some difficulty tracking down) that he had differences with some people during the official visit and those players were no longer at Rutgers.

From there you can put two and two together.

Mostly just frustration on my part but it has been heavily intimated in a few forum posts (that I’ll admit I’ll have some difficulty tracking down) that he had differences with some people during the official visit and those players were no longer at Rutgers.

From there you can put two and two together.
I guessed it was some other people.

Wanted to address this. His per 40 minutes stats show some improvement from RU, but nothing transcendent that he could brag might be attributable to significantly better coaching that was not in place at RU. He is taking a few more shots per 40min with a slightly higher FG% against his career average. His 3PT shooting improved from 31% to 37% and his FT shooting improved slightly from 71% to 75%. His rebounding and assists per 40 were down.

I think there is a great deal of negative over reaction to Eugene’s comments in this thread . He was explaining how he has learned more about the actual game over the past several years since he transferred. Altman is a good coach as is Pikiell and I didn’t seeing him being overtly critical In anyway . He was being honest and at the time there was no reason to believe in 2019-2020 we would be on the cusp of our first bid in 29 years. There was no tournament so what EO did was what many now criticizing him of seeking a better and new opportunity would possibly do the same. Some are sounding bitter and scorned is that ok ? The kid is happy and likes it where he is. I doubt Pikiell is losing sleep over “ an article” With all other things on his plate.

Wanted to address this. His per 40 minutes stats show some improvement from RU, but nothing transcendent that he could brag might be attributable to significantly better coaching that was not in place at RU. He is taking a few more shots per 40min with a slightly higher FG% against his career average. His 3PT shooting improved from 31% to 37% and his FT shooting improved slightly from 71% to 75%. His rebounding and assists per 40 were down.

He's had some fairly significant changes to his game. His junior year here, about 14% of his attempts were from the arc.... this year, it's about 30%. He's also less active on the glass, which means he's likely playing further away from the basket... and he's getting more steals. He's a more efficient scorer, and has higher utilization.

The year off to improve his game and health has helped him out a ton... and if he had stayed at Rutgers, I don't know if he'd have accepted taking a redshirt year.

Why are you surprised Rutgers fans are ripping EO? He may be having a great year - but whether intentional or not, he took a passive/agressive shot at RU/Pike on the way out of RU and now in this article. Makes little sense when Pike was instrumental in greatly developing him during his first 3 years and made him RU's captain.

EO grew and improved while at Rutgers and it's great that he feels he has grown further at Oregon. But it's childish to burn bridges, especially when you might need end up working with someone again at some point. Further, he also has a significant edge at 24 years old and playing significant time against 19-20 year olds.

Not surprised. Just think it’s a bit of an overreaction. Feedback leads to opportunity it’s not good to get defensive.

I think there is a great deal of negative over reaction to Eugene’s comments in this thread . He was explaining how he has learned more about the actual game over the past several years since he transferred. Altman is a good coach as is Pikiell and I didn’t seeing him being overtly critical In anyway . He was being honest and at the time there was no reason to believe in 2019-2020 we would be on the cusp of our first bid in 29 years. There was no tournament so what EO did was what many now criticizing him of seeking a better and new opportunity would possibly do the same. Some are sounding bitter and scorned is that ok ? The kid is happy and likes it where he is. I doubt Pikiell is losing sleep over “ an article” With all other things on his plate.

I admittedly just dislike him because of the way he left. Not sure if that's a bad thing or not, but it's the truth.

even on the advanced stats everything remains the same. scoring % up, rebounds down, assists down, etc. i am acknowledging that. i am not fanatic about anything other than you trying to convince people that Eugene going to Oregon made him into some great player all of a sudden. he was a good player for us he is a good player for Oregon except now he is coming off a year that he sat out and is a year older. Based on trends all over college basketball odds are he does the same thing at rutgers with the year off.

I admittedly just dislike him because of the way he left. Not sure if that's a bad thing or not, but it's the truth.
Yes I get that but EO has been gone 2 years ? You have criticized some on here for their own personal feelings about other players. Or is that acceptable and somehow ok? Time to actually realize he ‘s not coming back. One thing I have never done is wish a kid transferring out of Rutgers ill will. I may not root for them but that’s it .

EO was a great player. He would have been a top three player on this years team if talent was the only thing we were criticizing.

unless his presence here made our teams worse he would have. He was going to sit out last year anyway right?

Also even if he played here last year he would’ve been on a tournament level team. Unless he predicted Covid he was completely wrong about that.

I didn’t remember that he was going to sit out. So you’re right, I was just thinking of his eligibility.

He made tremendous strides from the time he stepped on campus at Rutgers to the time he left despite having major injury problems for two years. He went from a completely unknown and unheralded recruit no one wanted to being pursued by Oregon as sit-one/play-one transfer with a knee problem. I'd say that shows a tremendous amount of development in his time here.

The fact that the Rutgers coaching staff developed non-blue chip recruits into what is a program that essentially earned two consecutive NCAA bids after having zero for 30 years carries a lot more weight than a comment by one former disgruntled player. The proof is in the results.

Was what he said a dig at Rutgers? You could see it that way or you could also argue he was just trying to praise his current coach. In any case, he also had the benefit of an extra year of development since this is his 5th year. Would he have been this good at Oregon if he had played straight away last year. Highly doubt it. That extra year is huge.

Yes I get that but EO has been gone 2 years ? You have criticized some on here for their own personal feelings about other players. Or is that acceptable and somehow ok? Time to actually realize he ‘s not coming back. One thing I have never done is wish a kid transferring out of Rutgers ill will. I may not root for them but that’s it .

I think it’s fine to personally dislike players in general. That doesn’t mean I won’t disagree with specific cases though.

I think it’s fine to personally dislike players in general. That doesn’t mean I won’t disagree with specific cases though.
You do realize EO has been gone 2 seasons so your argument would be fine perhaps if he left this past fall.

Altman does seem to be a great coach and it certainly seems to have worked out for Eugene there but I wish he would have more class. He didn’t need that last sentence.
Rumor Altman to OK after a lose at Sweet 16
he is from the Midwest and OK has very deep pockets

What argument? I just said I didn’t like him.
You are posing a difference of opinion and / or argument and by my understanding that does not constitute an actual true argument . If you want to believe it is ... that’s on you.

You are posing a difference of opinion and / or argument and by my understanding that does not constitute an actual true argument . If you want to believe it is ... that’s on you.

As usual, I have no idea what you are trying to say.

You do realize EO has been gone 2 seasons so your argument would be fine perhaps if he left this past fall.
What argument? I just said I didn’t like him.
As usual, I have no idea what you are trying to say.
Then you are just an antagonistic person. You know exactly what my response meant There was no argument can’t argue with stupid .

????

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT