ADVERTISEMENT

Eugene talks

Ruthinking

Senior
Gold Member
Aug 7, 2011
https://rutgers.rivals.com/news/eugene-omoruyi-talks-for-the-first-time-since-his-transfer

I loved Eugene when he was here but I have to say his comments in this article are insulting to our program. He’s basically saying that he didn’t feel that we had a chance to dance this year. AND that we don’t have a competitive edge...AND he doesn’t feel he had the right exposure with us to go on to the NBA.

I wish he would have come up with another reason for his transfer. He praised Rutgers but then went on to disparage us. This does not sit well with me. I now hope that Oregon does not make the tournament and it’s given me even more reason to root for RU.

https://rutgers.rivals.com/news/eugene-omoruyi-talks-for-the-first-time-since-his-transfer

I loved Eugene when he was here but I have to say his comments in this article are insulting to our program. He’s basically saying that he didn’t feel that we had a chance to dance this year. AND that we don’t have a competitive edge...AND he doesn’t feel he had the right exposure with us to go on to the NBA.

I wish he would have come up with another reason for his transfer. He praised Rutgers but then went on to disparage us. This does not sit well with me. I now hope that Oregon does not make the tournament and it’s given me even more reason to root for RU.

His feelings regarding our chances for the NCAA Tourney are valid if that is his goal before he graduates. The rest of his comments are nonsense and speak to a loser mentality where he is looking for the situation to help out his career instead of letting his own body of work speak for itself. Further, this is "me guy" talk and not that of a leader/team captain.

My guess is that the majority of sports transfers happen for one of two reasons. #1. not enough playing time and #2. program will not get him where he thinks he should get to.
Obviously, this is the second reason. I think a lot of players make the mistake of thinking a program that isn't considered a top one automatically decreases their prestige. I disagree with this. In fact, standouts bring even more positive attention than a lot of players get if they are just one of many talented players on the floor.
I think any kid has the right to do what he thinks is in his best interest. But, what happens with him now is of no interest to me.

He is irrelevant to us and water under the bridge...I’m sure Pike does not spend a nanosecond worried about this former player and instead is focusing on the exciting line up he’ll trot out this season!

Unlike football, MBB is going places!!!

Whatever his reasons for leaving, he's gone .
He'll find out soon if it was a mistake and he overrated his talent or he made a good move.
and gets what he wants.
Either way, it's on him and the RU MBB program moved on

I give him credit for being honest with his thoughts. I never would have done that.

That said, his ex-teammates need to use this as motivation for the season and find a way to have a better year than this chump. If I'm this peeved, I can't imagine how the current RU team feels. Can't wait for the Knight Report follow up in April when they ask him if it was worth it after he plays 10 games due to injury and they miss the postseason.

Now I feel better.

Eugene couldn’t walk and chew gum simultaneously when he got here. Players like Corey, Deshaun, etc. could have ripped him as a wasted ‘ship and a kid who had no value to THEIR goals. No one did. Was completely supported and developed at RU. I usually don’t actively root against kids at the college level, but I really hope Oregon recruits over him and he is marginalized in Eugene (see Rosario, Mike)

Eugene couldn’t walk and chew gum simultaneously when he got here. Players like Corey, Deshaun, etc. could have ripped him as a wasted ‘ship and a kid who had no value to THEIR goals. No one did. Was completely supported and developed at RU. I usually don’t actively root against kids at the college level, but I really hope Oregon recruits over him and he is marginalized in Eugene (see Rosario, Mike)

That’s the thing that sucks. Pike offered him a scholarship when a lot of programs didn’t even notice him. He was appreciated very much by the fans also. It’s a shame he wasn’t grateful. At least he left the team with some locker room bulletin board
material.

20/20 hindsight. Hope he doesn’t get sidelined by injury. BTW, for New Jerseyans, it’s pronounced Ore-Gone. I was corrected at a bar once in the Dominican Republic by a guy from Portland OR who did not like my pronunciation of his home state. It’s not Or-Reg-Gone.

20/20 hindsight. Hope he doesn’t get sidelined by injury. BTW, for New Jerseyans, it’s pronounced Ore-Gone. I was corrected at a bar once in the Dominican Republic by a guy from Portland OR who did not like my pronunciation of his home state. It’s not Or-Reg-Gone.

It’s actually pronounced Ore-Gin as they typically say to outsiders “we ain’t gone were gin”

As far as Eugene, I hope we meet him and the ducks in the tournament...

Last edited:
Reactions: rubigtimenow
Let it go.....don’t care. It’s obvious to me

The kids we have on this team are such a rootable group ...and will be the ones that will be remembered who take a chance on this dead program and made it happen

I don't think the players really meshed with Eugene.....or Eugene really meshed with the team. I got the sense Eugene thought he was better than everyone and gave more effort.

Omoruyi is at Or a gon now.
Let him tweet the way he likes, because the way he left
was pretty low class.
We should expect his excuse to be the same .

Last edited:
Omoruyi bailed on a team he was captain of in an underhanded way. I think one subtweet six weeks before the season is warranted.

You don't know what the team dynamic was. You don't know if he had the proper respect from the team. I am guessing not.

I am angry he is gone. I thought this had the chance to be the year. I thought coming in to the year this was our peak year and next year would be tough because he would have graduated.

It is convenient to blame 100% Eugene for him leaving. I can't help thinking players on current roster have some blame.

Bottom line time for the leaders to step up and compete hard on the defensive end.

I find it interesting you are focused on Geo with this comment. You may want to rethink/redirect your ire.

Why? If he is going to talk he needs to start backing it up. Needs to show up on the defensive end AND can't be a 35% FG shooter against good competition.

Hey Euuuuuugennnnnnne if you cannot make the NBA at Rutgers your not going to make it at Oregon. It's not the program that makes the player its talent that makes the player. Lol you are a JOKE

Reactions: mikeylew1992
Hey Euuuuuugennnnnnne if you cannot make the NBA at Rutgers your not going to make it at Oregon. It's not the program that makes the player its talent that makes the player. Lol you are a JOKE
The truth of the matter is that the current group of guys on RU would ball his ass up and down the floor

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
The truth of the matter is that the current group of guys on RU would ball his ass up and down the floor

Are you serious. If that is the case why were we so bad when Eugene was out or playing on 1 leg.

Do people forget the end of last season or the 3 games Eugene missed?

Did anyone watch the Nebraska game?

Are you serious. If that is the case why were we so bad when Eugene was out or playing on 1 leg.

Do people forget the end of last season or the 3 games Eugene missed?

Did anyone watch the Nebraska game?
Wait Harper was bad? We were bad because we didn't have a PG. That kind of changed in case you didn't notice. Losing a punk like EO will be a blessing for this team. We need need a shitty team player.

Addition by subtraction....and EO wasn't going to start this year and was recruited over here by Harper and Yeboah.

The irony is that Eugene would've never seen the light of day in our recruiting cycle except the end of August with Pike being here about 90 days...Pike development of all his players will overcome this project of EO.

The reality is he only became a B1G caliber player last year, for about a dozen of so games...his frosh season and soph seasons were limited to defense rebounding and hustle.

If we recruited Eugene as a freshman in 2019, he would be called Souf 2.0....

Last point about this...and how far Eugene had to go to get where he is today....place his stat line to any of the other freshman since then and he finishes last in overall production and impact compared to the freshman seasons of Harper, Mathis, McConnell, Myles Johnson....I would argue that Doucoure and Eugene as freshman, as a fair comparison.

This roster has so much more upside with Eugene out of the way and more shooting and ball movement possible. Eugene would have had a nice role off the bench or with reduced minutes this year at RU....the days of Eugene being the 1st scoring option, was not a long term or short term solution for this roster. He frankly, just wasn't good enough as a fluid player or shooter/scorer at a B1G level program, to warrant that title at RU or any major program. He's the classic role player off the bench that gives a team a spark or energy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT