ADVERTISEMENT

Evening with Pike today

I think when a line is not yet settled the losers are unusual but not so rare. I'm any case I think our respective framings have run their course...
How about Georgetown losing to Chaminade (too lazy to look up spelling, but I’m sure older folks here know the game)

I think the bigger surprise based on what he was saying was that Agee, Hyatt and Jones were unplayable.
Thank you. Pretty much says it all. And the one kid who Pike didn’t hype and was supposed to redshirt turned out to be playable. This is why coach comments at this time need to be taken with a grain of salt.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
Not sure of the timing but wasn't there a story of pres-season closed scrimmages vs Uconn and Villanova and they beat up on both of them?
We have Heard that, you have to wonder how much effort was made on the court those days, did the coaches play the bench players more than normal to see what they could do etc...... on both sides
While it is encouaging, you don't over think it

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
It IS GREAT to have a positive coach that emphasizes player development, extra hustle and team cohesion.

You say, “Let’s see it on the court.” We have already seen it on the court. EVERY season Pike has been here we have seen it on the court. That is Pike’s secret sauce and it will continue.
It's funny, but that has been a popular refrain on here: "Let's see it on the court." We have seen it on the court as you say, it just not may be to some people's satisfaction.

Reactions: Yeah Baby
It's funny, but that has been a popular refrain on here: "Let's see it on the court." We have seen it on the court as you say, it just not may be to some people's satisfaction.
That’s not really what people are saying. It’s being pointed out that Pike has gone out of his way in past pre-seasons to hype his not-yet-proven players. There’s nothing wrong with this. Nobody is suggesting he should be deliberately more negative.

As Green said - Hyatt, Jaden, Agee are several concrete examples of these types of players that Pike went out of his way to promote pre-season who did not end up having major roles on the team. On the other end of the spectrum, Miller wasn’t even supposed to play and then became a key role player. The point is that no matter how you look at it, the history just doesn’t show a consistent correlation between what Pike says about player progress and what actually happens on the season.

Reactions: Mr Magoo
That’s not really what people are saying. It’s being pointed out that Pike has gone out of his way in past pre-seasons to hype his not-yet-proven players. There’s nothing wrong with this. Nobody is suggesting he should be deliberately more negative.

As Green said - Hyatt, Jaden, Agee are several concrete examples of these types of players that Pike went out of his way to promote pre-season who did not end up having major roles on the team. On the other end of the spectrum, Miller wasn’t even supposed to play and then became a key role player. The point is that no matter how you look at it, the history just doesn’t show a consistent correlation between what Pike says about player progress and what actually happens on the season.
That may be true, but it still doesn't stop posters from saying, "Let's see it on court," while cherry picking the examples of guys who didn't work out for whatever reason. Really, it's kind of a silly thing to post when you consider the overall results.

Pike also said Kiss was the best shooter on the team one year. It's fair to not think everything Pike says about every player comes to fruition.

I'm more skeptical about Oskar contributing than anything else he said. Although that would be amazing if true. He can shoot the 3 and we have heard how athletic he is yet haven't seen really anything along those lines on the court.

What is not fair is pretending Pike made some absurd crazy statement by saying last year was his best team when we ended up finishing 4th in the B1G.... our best finish ever... we started slow sure but we ended up with an excellent season

Pike also said Kiss was the best shooter on the team one year. It's fair to not think everything Pike says about every player comes to fruition.

I'm more skeptical about Oskar contributing than anything else he said. Although that would be amazing if true. He can shoot the 3 and we have heard how athletic he is yet haven't seen really anything along those lines on the court.

What is not fair is pretending Pike made some absurd crazy statement by saying last year was his best team when we ended up finishing 4th in the B1G.... our best finish ever... we started slow sure but we ended up with an excellent season
Uh didn't kiss lead the country in scoring just year?

Tru dat. But he was also the most successful at getting it in the net by volume. Sometimes the last to being a successful sorry is volume.

My point was merely that there was something to see in Peter kiss that was extraordinary. Didn't with for us, but it really similar blowing smoke up our tuchies...

Reactions: Yeah Baby
Tru dat. But he was also the most successful at getting it in the net by volume. Sometimes the last to being a successful sorry is volume.

My point was merely that there was something to see in Peter kiss that was extraordinary. Didn't with for us, but it really similar blowing smoke up our tuchies...
I agree with your overall point then. Pike saw something in the guy and legitimately.
I like a coach who is looking at players for what they CAN do, or what he envisions them being able to do, that's a strength of this staff.

He probably did shoot lights out in practice causing Pike to say that. His shot looked the part, it just didn't go in enough when he had a chance to start. Just wasn't the right fit for whatever reason. Pike may be overly rosy sometimes, but he may get excited about what he sees in practice. I think if someone sucks he just won't say anything.

I’ll take as much as weight on anything Pike says (it is coachspeak) as I would a baseball players stats in spring training. Wouldn’t call them irrelevant, but it doesn’t shape my thoughts or expectations.

i would also hope my coach has nice things to say about as many people as possible. Compliments don’t cost anything.

To be fair, I believe Geo also mentioned in the discord that Kiss was lights out in practice.

Look - let’s level set here. Remember the things he said last year? And he raved about the impact Hyatt would have coming in. It’s hard to take anything he says too seriously until the season starts.

Given Pike's penchant for pre-season hyperbole, should we be concerned that he was not hyping Hyatt in the last teleconference? Other than saying he was strong, I have not read of any praise directed to Hyatt.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Pike also raved about EO being the most improved player and he broke out. He has talked up players who delivered as well.

I'd say if he is talking up a player, they are at least showing something in practice vs just a complete fabrication.

Some players it translates to games under the bright lights, pressure, fan noise while others can't rise to the occasion

Pike also raved about EO being the most improved player and he broke out. He has talked up players who delivered as well.

I'd say if he is talking up a player, they are at least showing something in practice vs just a complete fabrication.

Some players it translates to games under the bright lights, pressure, fan noise while others can't rise to the occasion
I subscribe to this. Doesn’t hurt to have your name called.

That may be true, but it still doesn't stop posters from saying, "Let's see it on court," while cherry picking the examples of guys who didn't work out for whatever reason. Really, it's kind of a silly thing to post when you consider the overall results.
Go look back at the original post man. This thread is about things Pike said about individual players at the pre season presser. Not overall results.

Pointing to individual players Pike propped up that didn’t succeed (and not talking about guys like Cliff) is not cherry picking because I’m not trying to make a case that everything Pike says about individual players is always wrong. I’m saying there doesn’t appear to be a correlation which means it’s arbitrary. When you rave about so many guys and you run a good program, someone you promoted pre-season is going to pan out. Others won’t. There’s just not a whole lot to take away from the pre-season stuff.

That doesn’t mean because Pike said Miller looks like a different kid on offense, that I’m suddenly convinced he will be a reliable scorer for us next year.

Go look back at the original post man. This thread is about things Pike said about individual players at the pre season presser. Not overall results.

Pointing to individual players Pike propped up that didn’t succeed (and not talking about guys like Cliff) is not cherry picking because I’m not trying to make a case that everything Pike says about individual players is always wrong. I’m saying there doesn’t appear to be a correlation which means it’s arbitrary. When you rave about so many guys and you run a good program, someone you promoted pre-season is going to pan out. Others won’t. There’s just not a whole lot to take away from the pre-season stuff.

That doesn’t mean because Pike said Miller looks like a different kid on offense, that I’m suddenly convinced he will be a reliable scorer for us next year.
No one is arguing that. You have every right to not buy into pre-season hype just as others have every right to get excited about it. Not sure why you keep beating this dead horse. Maybe this is how Pike pumps up his players and motivates them?

No one is arguing that. You have every right to not buy into pre-season hype just as others have every right to get excited about it. Not sure why you keep beating this dead horse. Maybe this is how Pike pumps up his players and motivates them?

Yes - that could be exactly what he’s trying to do. Whatever his motive is it’s fine. The point is nobody was “complaining” about Pike on this string. When someone said they’ll believe it when they see it on the court, the context was not that Pike has never had a great season or they do not appreciate how Pike turned the program around. It was that pre-season individual critiques have always been a mixed bag in past years in terms of accuracy so some of us aren’t taking them that seriously now. That’s all. That doesn’t make us anti Pike in any way.

That part is besides the point. We were close to a bubble team all 3 years, ok? We were never a top 8 seed so the difference between 9-11 is splitting hairs anyway. You want to call 2021-22 the best team ever - fine.

Regardless, Pike raved about quite a few guys pre-season last season who didn’t turn out to be major contributors. Lots of coaches do this. Im not complaining but rather putting his comments in perspective. The most meaningful comment was what he said about Dean playing the 4. He’s probably wouldnt go public with that statement the way he did if it wasn’t in the cards.
If I told you Caleb won DPOY and Ron, Geo, Cliff and Paul all made at least honorable mention all B1G, would you then begin to understand why he thought this was his best team? And would you sign up for that?

If I told you Caleb won DPOY and Ron, Geo, Cliff and Paul all made at least honorable mention all B1G, would you then begin to understand why he thought this was his best team? And would you sign up for that?

And that other guy asked about beating a dead horse with bringing up Hyatt, Agee, etc.? It’s to respond to posts like this

Even if we all agree that Pike “nailed it” with that part of the projection (best team ever), that still wouldn’t make his glowing pre-season commentary on developing, unproven players any more historically spot on (hence the reference to Hyatt, Agee, etc.) The bench was clearly last year’s team’s Achilles heel despite the assurance we were given about how those guys were going to impress us. Again - not criticism of Pike here. Coach talk is par for the course.

So maybe suddenly Oskar, Miller, etc. are going to be challenging for 20+ mpg, but for the reason above (which cannot be factually disputed), pre-season pressers where Pike focuses on how great our utility players look do not suddenly leave me thinking we’re going to have an extremely deep roster. If you want to expect that now, go for it.

I will be thrilled to learn during the season that every word from Pike turns out to be spot on and more.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUChoppin
I’ll take as much as weight on anything Pike says (it is coachspeak) as I would a baseball players stats in spring training. Wouldn’t call them irrelevant, but it doesn’t shape my thoughts or expectations.

i would also hope my coach has nice things to say about as many people as possible. Compliments don’t cost anything.
Exactly. Never hurts to be positive.

we have to realize some of our fans were actually screaming don’t shoot at Caleb when he was wide open last year early in the season. I’m sure Pike was telling him to shoot and those positive comments actually helped Caleb’s confidence.

So while some may take Pikes comments with a grain of salt I love them all. He’s a positive guy and his team plays hard. Love it.

Everyone questioned why he kept praising Reiber last season. Then the lights went on. That could happen for any of these kids but each of them has a niche and Pike needs to find the right chemistry.

I’ll take Top 4 in the BIG with huge wins over ranked teams every year. We beat Purdue who was #1 without Geo and Mag played a monster game along with Ron. Iowa we did it with D. Geo had the 8 pts and an assist to end the OSU game. Cliff and Paul all had their huge moments. That’s a team with chemistry. Oh yeah we had the DPOY. Thank you Caleb.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT