ADVERTISEMENT

Ex-Rutgers 4-year starter Brian Ellerbe assistant at Morgan State

I hope all our guys do well.....I am surprised more havent become coaches..
with Pikiell now as coach.......I hope our players all consider coaching
he is clearly a "fundementalist" LOL(I mean that as a pun)
and they will get a solid "education"

Brian used to play with the biggest smile-didn't know he won the B1G once (I remember his tenure at Michigan as disappointing).

I remember (I believe) my 1st day, first minute at UNC as a grad student in 1986 a black guy sitting next to me (after hearing I attended RU), inquired about Brian Ellerbe. Turns out that HIS name was Brian Ellerbee and he was a damn good player in his own right.
Claimed he was good enough to play for Dean Smith and the Tarheels but Dean didn't need another point guard at that point (may have played for UNC JV?). Anyways he did seem to be a VIP with coach Smith (think he was a student assistant) and saw him on the bench-once coaching a slam dunk competition. Was a very good, focused student. Has done very well as a leader in the state as a health care leader.

Brian Ellerbe, a 4-year starter at Rutgers who played in winning NCAA and NIT games, is an assistant at Morgan State. An interesting resume ...

http://morganstatebears.com/coaches.aspx?rc=771

Brian was in my graduating class at Bowie High School, Bowie Maryland (grad ceremony at Cole Field House at U of M). I doubt he's ever heard of me -- our class size was about a thousand kids. I can still open my yearbook today and pick out kids I've never laid eyes on. I was but a lowly wrestler.

We were all pretty thrilled when one of us received a real-life D1 scholarship...

Reactions: AshSaturday
didnt someone post something last year of a bizarre letter he wrote to the athletic department last year concerning the basketball program

I remember him patting the ref on the ass after a good tough call. He had the personality to get away with that. Nice man. $$$$

I hope that Brian gets recognized by the announcer on his return to the RAC.

Brian lived in my Quad dorms on Livingston during his time as at RU. After games we would chat with him about the game that night back in his room. Was always gracious and a real good guy.

Reactions: Mr_Twister
I played a lot of pick-up ball back in the day at the Quads on College Ave, with some very good players (my 2 neighbors in Hegeman were very good players, with one of them walking on for a year at RU). I wasn't a great basketball player, by any stretch, but I was 6'2" with decent speed and a 36" running vertical, so I'd get some dunks and garbage around the basket and could defend (couldn't shoot from outside or dribble well, though).

With that as background, one day I was guarding a guy (who I hadn't seen before) who was my height, as one usually does in pick-up games and I think he underestimated me a little. He received a pass on the wing and put up a lazy shot and I jumped up and blocked it towards midcourt and was first to the ball, took off to the hoop and threw down a reverse jam.

The guy whose shot I blocked was Brian Ellerbe - my friends were hooting and hollering. It was my White Shadow moment, lol. Of course, next time down the court, Ellerbe made me look pretty foolish with a crossover and easy drive to the basket. Was a fun game and Ellerbe was a very nice guy, as a bunch of us hung out at my friend's dorm room afterwards.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT