ADVERTISEMENT

Excited about Deans future! Starter at 4?

Reiber should play atleast 20-25 minutes a game next season assuming he continues to progress and those minutes won't be available at the 5. I think he can average 10 PPG next season given his ability to score.

Reactions: IL Lusciato
We have 3 guys who play the 5 if Woolfolk is an option.

we need guys that can defend and score at the 1/2/3.

We definitely need to bring in scoring at the wing.

2021-2022: We lost 30pts from last year
Young (14pts), Mathis (8ts) and Johnson (8pts)

It was really Clif (4pts up to 12pts) who fully replaced Johnson himself and the bench guys all picking up a couple extra points here and there.
RHJ (16ppg) and Geo (12ppg) went up minimally each.

2022-2023: We lose another 28 (RHJ/Geo) and potentially up to 34pts (Caleb 6)
Clif may have some more room to grow if he starts moving out a little deeper from mostly dunks.
Mulcahy (9ppg) maybe also has some room to improve if he looks to score more instead of defer to Geo/RHJ.

Will definitely need scoring to comes from the bench or transfer to at least maintain if not improve (we are still at the bottom in PPG in the league).

Reactions: RUJMM78
Going to guess Pike brings an undersized 2 guard that can score and is a PLUS defender.

I know Pike likes long players, but I think if he is willing to get an undersized player AND not needing of a primary ball handler he will have a lot of players to choose from.

See Patrick McCaffery for what Dean Reiber can/hopefully be for us at tge 4

Going to guess Pike brings an undersized 2 guard that can score and is a PLUS defender.

I know Pike likes long players, but I think if he is willing to get an undersized player AND not needing of a primary ball handler he will have a lot of players to choose from.
Sounds like Simpson.

I still can’t believe how he’s progressed. I feel like I’ve posted this 10 times this season but I was so off base about 1/4 of the way through the season (and I generally try to be patient with bigs). His outside shot has been great.
Player development is an amazing thing.

Reactions: IL Lusciato
Do I think he is going to shoot 58% from 3? No I dont.

He took 12 3s as a backup center and made 7 if them.
Is he going to shoot 100 next year all of a sudden? And stay at 58%?
I can see him being a 40-45% shooter from 3. He doesn’t force the shot or try to create a shot behind the arc. I can see him taking 3-5 wide open 3s per game coming off the pick and popping to the 3 point line.

Reactions: SBP and IL Lusciato
Now I know I said Reiber isn't a 4 against B1G competition but he should definitely be on the court with Cliff for parts of this game and probably the main bench player. ND is one of the few power 5 teams that play two post players at the same time with one being a stretch PF.

Now I know I said Reiber isn't a 4 against B1G competition but he should definitely be on the court with Cliff for parts of this game and probably the main bench player. ND is one of the few power 5 teams that play two post players at the same time with one being a stretch PF.
Dean is a stretch . He will be an excellent player there on that hole. He doesn’t play/act like a center. More of a Wisconsin style, heady, Wing.

Unless Cliff makes a big jump in scoring the leading scorer next season will be a player in the portal.

We have 3 guys who play the 5 if Woolfolk is an option.

we need guys that can defend and score at the 1/2/3.
Yes - I agree. One thing to think about though - our second team has looked consistently strong on both sides when playing full press style (albeit short stints). Dean especially. Now I don’t think we’ll commit to the press like VCU / WVU have in past years, but depending who we bring in from the portal, you never know. We might see a real up tick in full court press possessions next season which would mean more subbing in the rotation and less concern about true positions on the court.

There are pros and cons, but obviously pressing style masks shortcomings in perimeter half court defense issues and offensive halfcourt challenges. A long shot yes but maybe not out of the realm of possibility.

Reactions: Scangg
While there will be plenty of time to discuss after watching him develop this year I would not be surprised to see Paul jump his scoring to 13-14 pts per game next year. But, we absolutely need a scorer from the portal and another big.

Yes - I agree. One thing to think about though - our second team has looked consistently strong on both sides when playing full press style (albeit short stints). Dean especially. Now I don’t think we’ll commit to the press like VCU / WVU have in past years, but depending who we bring in from the portal, you never know. We might see a real up tick in full court press possessions next season which would mean more subbing in the rotation and less concern about true positions on the court.

There are pros and cons, but obviously pressing style masks shortcomings in perimeter half court defense issues and offensive halfcourt challenges. A long shot yes but maybe not out of the realm of possibility.
Depending on who we bring in, I think we see Pike go back to more of a deeper rotation which would allow more pressing

Reiber Starting and playing 25 mins a game next yr - sounds similar to all the talk of Jaden Jones - when many was sayin this yr- he was gonna start by mid season- and be one of our best scores

Jaden will he literally has to. If Pike brings a portal guy over him it’s not a good look. He will and Reiber will prove you wrong.
That is silly. He will play Jaden because he doesn’t it is a good look.

it certainly is possible Jaden becomes playable and in the rotation. This year the team desperately needed what Jones was thought to bring to the team.

That is silly. He will play Jaden because he doesn’t it is a good look.

it certainly is possible Jaden becomes playable and in the rotation. This year the team desperately needed what Jones was thought to bring to the team.
Not nearly as much as next year's team needs it

I’ll admit that I have thought Jaden would jump into the portal. But, players like Johnnie Davis prove that if you believe in a coach and a program you can make a massive leap in offseason. So, I hope Jaden stays. And, I’m not saying Jaden will be Davis per se, but Davis went from being a 7 pt guy to first team all American in one year.

With the roster coming into focus more, this is the most logical spot. Occasionally helping at 5, I think we are not done with portal in that regard

• Haha
Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
ADVERTISEMENT