ADVERTISEMENT

Excited about Deans future! Starter at 4?

I think Dean will get some beef on him over tge summer and be a tough guy to defend at tge 4

It’s not out of the question. He needs more stamina and could stand to bulk up a little more and play with more of a mean streak (but he did a pretty good job in the paint today). Assuming he does those things there’s no reason he can’t contribute 15 minutes or more per game next year.
I don’t know that he really needs to add much size. He’s listed at 6’10” 225 and has been getting matched up with other teams’ centers all season.

If he moves to the 4 there’s not going to be very many guys who can match his size at that position.

Reactions: RUDead
I don’t know that he really needs to add much size. He’s listed at 6’10” 225 and has been getting matched up with other teams’ centers all season.

If he moves to the 4 there’s not going to be very many guys who can match his size at that position.
Yup, but muscle is the thing, you bang with bigger 4s

Nope. I think he starts at the 4

Essentially every Power 5 team plays 4 wing players and a C. Reiber isn't quick enough to guard those guys for an extended period. I'm willing to bet that a transfer or JUCO will be one of the starters next year. I think the best bet is Mulcahy, Hyatt, Jones, Omoruyi, and a transfer g if Jones or Hyatt can put on some good size, or a Yeboah type transfer f with some size that can shoot and is athletic enough to guard a wing.

Essentially every Power 5 team plays 4 wing players and a C. Reiber isn't quick enough to guard those guys for an extended period. I'm willing to bet that a transfer or JUCO will be one of the starters next year. I think the best bet is Mulcahy, Hyatt, Jones, Omoruyi, and a transfer g if Jones or Hyatt can put on some good size, or a Yeboah type transfer f with some size that can shoot and is athletic enough to guard a wing.
Could not disagree more about his quickness. His stoke is pure as well. The very definition of a stretch 4.

Go get that Lafayette center who’s in portal to back up Cliff! Dean is going to be a 4 no matter what

Could not disagree more about his quickness. His stoke is pure as well. The very definition of a stretch 4.

Has he played any minutes at the 4 this year? At least in B1G play I've only seen him give Cliff a break or when he's in foul trouble. There has to be a reason for that. Don't get me wrong I think he's been a very important player this year and has been awesome as a backup 5 and will be even better with some added strength. I also think he can, and will, get some time at the 4 next year along side Cliff but more like 5-10 minutes instead of the 20-25 min a full time starter would get. Then in 2023 he becomes the full time starting 5 when Cliff leaves for the NBA.

Reactions: Scangg
I'll be honest. I had no idea how athletic Dean was heading into the season. He jumps very well. He cannot be called upon to defend big centers. He will get abused. But, on the other end, they cannot cover him. He will be a big part of the 2023 season. If he knocks down the 3 on the regular, he is a match up problem in our league.

Reactions: Scangg
Too much emphasis on 4s, 5s, etc. The game is trending towards positionless basketball. Is Cliff a 5 or a 4? Is Harper a 4, 3, or 2.? Is Mulcahy a 1, 2, or 3?…same for McConnell. I’d argue that we don’t even have a 4. We have quite a few “hybrids” out there and I think Pike recruits that way.

Reactions: BossNJ and cm_13
Too much emphasis on 4s, 5s, etc. The game is trending towards positionless basketball. Is Cliff a 5 or a 4? Is Harper a 4, 3, or 2.? Is Mulcahy a 1, 2, or 3?…same for McConnell. I’d argue that we don’t even have a 4. We have quite a few “hybrids” out there and I think Pike recruits that way.
The 4 vs 5 matters bc most teams play 1 true big so if Dean is the 5 he is matching up with monsters like Kofi Edey Dickinson.

4's are more perimeter wings mostly these days.

There is a significant difference between a 4 and 5 now. Ron is our 4 currently. He cannot play the 5

Reactions: Rokodesh and SBP
The 4 vs 5 matters bc most teams play 1 true big so if Dean is the 5 he is matching up with monsters like Kofi Edey Dickinson.

4's are more perimeter wings mostly these days.

There is a significant difference between a 4 and 5 now. Ron is our 4 currently. He cannot play the 5
Agreed that’s why Dean takes the 4 next year, and we gotta get a Big to portal spell Cliff… like that Lafayette kid..

Not really… Dean played 5 out of necessary and no better back up. That’s not his position in BiG and next year we will see that.

Dean is TBD... Matchup dependant can play some 4 or 5. He does have the 3 and decent handle and good passing skills. He is also much quicker defensively on the perimeter than some seem to give him credit for but not sure he is the type of 4 Pike wants or not

Eugene Yeboah Ron... Hyatt getting back up 4 minutes... these are all more bigger 3 / wings than Dean.

I think it's a lock that Dean is our starting 4 next year. Gotta hit the weights, improve his conditioning and lateral quickness.

By his senior season (23-24), Dean will be in the top 20 B1G scoring leaders. You heard it here first.

I'll be generous and say there is "minimal" chance that occurs.

RHJ is our only BIG Top 20 scorer (#9 16.4ppg)
Geo is #24 (12.5ppg)
#20 is at 13.7ppg

https://bigten.org/stats.aspx?path=mbball&year=2021&conf=true#leaders

Dean starting next year can't happen.
Need to backfill Baker and RHJ with scoring options and arguably upgrade Caleb's position with more scoring as well.

I'll be generous and say there is "minimal" chance that occurs.

RHJ is our only BIG Top 20 scorer (#9 16.4ppg)
Geo is #24 (12.5ppg)
#20 is at 13.7ppg

https://bigten.org/stats.aspx?path=mbball&year=2021&conf=true#leaders

Dean starting next year can't happen.
Need to backfill Baker and RHJ with scoring options and arguably upgrade Caleb's position with more scoring as well.
You don’t think this kid can shoot? He showed what he can do with his consistency from the flood. He will start. Book it. Portal help is also a must as stated

If Caleb and Jones come back, we already have:
1. Paul, Jalen
2. Caleb, Simpson
3. Hyatt, Jones
4. Reiber, Mag
5. Cliff, Woolfolk

In the portal I hope we can get a scorer at the 2/3 that is also a willing defender.
Woolfolk is a project/developmental guy. Pikiell noted as much. Jones may be competing with Palmquist developmentally and who gets nod. Does Gonzalez-Agee have any eligibility left?

Woolfolk is a project/developmental guy. Pikiell noted as much. Jones may be competing with Palmquist developmentally and who gets nod. Does Gonzalez-Agee have any eligibility left?
No. That’s why we need a portal guy

Trust me...we want 40 minutes of Cliff and Reiber at the 5. What is the benefit of having him at the 4? Where does it help us having Reiber and another big on the floor?

Let's not get carried away here.

Trust me...we want 40 minutes of Cliff and Reiber at the 5. What is the benefit of having him at the 4? Where does it help us having Reiber and another big on the floor?

Not sure but maybe some 4 in preseason games?

Because that’s his natural position. Get a back 5 in portal

Reactions: RUDead
We need major minutes from Jones and Palmquist next year. Those guys better be earning those minutes right now in practice. Otherwise we’re in for a long season. Reiber is going to breakout as one of the best players in the league by his senior year. He has a great shooting touch and plays way better defense than he’s being given credit for.

Reactions: SBP
Guarding the 4 won’t be as much of an issue next year if Pike continues to play zone.

Reactions: SBP
You do watch a lot of ball or played right? He can go inside and shoot well from outside. He’s gotta muscle up a bit, but his backup center days are over, he’s a stretch 4…Also, guess what he’s listed as on ESPN site? That’s right… Forward

Reactions: Rokodesh
The answer is two fold

Hyatt moves down to the four next year (where he is a lot more comfortable playing on defense and rebounding )

Cliff starts at the five

Reiber is the back up at the four and five

In a no foul trouble game
Cliff 32 minutes ……13 ppg
Andre 24 minutes…8.5 ppg
Dean 24 minutes ….8.5 ppg

Bet the three combine for 30 ppg at the four and five next year in their 80 minutes

ADVERTISEMENT