ADVERTISEMENT

Excited about Deans future! Starter at 4?

You do watch a lot of ball or played right? He can go inside and shoot well from outside. He’s gotta muscle up a bit, but his backup center days are over, he’s a stretch 4…Also, guess what he’s listed as on ESPN site? That’s right… Forward
Its odd you keep saying he needs to add muscle to play the 4 when he currently is playing the 5. Dean will add muscle, which will help him play the 5

He should probably be a matchup dependant 4/5

The answer is two fold

Hyatt moves down to the four next year (where he is a lot more comfortable playing on defense and rebounding )

Cliff starts at the five

Reiber is the back up at the four and five

In a no foul trouble game
Cliff 32 minutes ……13 ppg
Andre 24 minutes…8.5 ppg
Dean 24 minutes ….8.5 ppg

Bet the three combine for 30 ppg at the four and five next year in their 80 minutes
I like where your head is at Shack

The answer is two fold

Hyatt moves down to the four next year (where he is a lot more comfortable playing on defense and rebounding )

Cliff starts at the five

Reiber is the back up at the four and five

In a no foul trouble game
Cliff 32 minutes ……13 ppg
Andre 24 minutes…8.5 ppg
Dean 24 minutes ….8.5 ppg

Bet the three combine for 30 ppg at the four and five next year in their 80 minutes
I think we can all agree that defensive matchups are very important to Pikiell. In this scenario you’re saying that Reiber is guarding perimeter players 16-18 minutes per game.

You do watch a lot of ball or played right? He can go inside and shoot well from outside. He’s gotta muscle up a bit, but his backup center days are over, he’s a stretch 4…Also, guess what he’s listed as on ESPN site? That’s right… Forward
You really are trying to fit a round peg into a square hole here.

If Reiber is a stretch 4 he would have no need to bulk up as he’s already bigger than most 4s in the B1G. He would need to add more speed & agility so he can guard these faster players on the wings and drive to the basket. Also, I don’t know that he can really handle the ball well enough to drive to the basket.

You really are trying to fit a round peg into a square hole here.

If Reiber is a stretch 4 he would have no need to bulk up as he’s already bigger than most 4s in the B1G. He would need to add more speed & agility so he can guard these faster players on the wings and drive to the basket. Also, I don’t know that he can really handle the ball well enough to drive to the basket.
He can drive by someone closing out too hard and take a dribble or two but he's not going to take anyone on one on one off the dribble

A little high low with Dean to Cliff would be nice to see for short stretches at least

The issue with playing only backup 5 is that Cliff is going to be an absolute monster next year and is a physical freak who can handle playing 30+ min a game.

How many mpg will Cliff get? Say 33 mpg.... only 7 mpg for Reiber. Is that enough? If he keeps shooting the 3 at this high clip and develops, does he not deserve a bigger role?

He can drive by someone closing out too hard and take a dribble or two but he's not going to take anyone on one on one off the dribble

A little high low with Dean to Cliff would be nice to see for short stretches at least

The issue with playing only backup 5 is that Cliff is going to be an absolute monster next year and is a physical freak who can handle playing 30+ min a game.

How many mpg will Cliff get? Say 33 mpg.... only 7 mpg for Reiber. Is that enough? If he keeps shooting the 3 at this high clip and develops, does he not deserve a bigger role?
Cliff will have to play smarter to be on the floor that long. Needs to stop getting those killer bad fouls. And I can see Dean backing up both spots next year.

You don’t think this kid can shoot? He showed what he can do with his consistency from the flood. He will start. Book it. Portal help is also a must as stated

Do I think he is going to shoot 58% from 3? No I dont.

He took 12 3s as a backup center and made 7 if them.
Is he going to shoot 100 next year all of a sudden? And stay at 58%?

Dean's ability to knock down the 3 is being overlooked by some in this thread. It presents a big problem for opponents. Combine that with a decent handle, mid range game and some pretty good footwork in the low post. Same problem that Ron poses for our opponents. You don't park a mismatch problem for your opponent on the bench. He should play maximum minutes.

He will get better defensively. All of our guys do. Credit to the staff.

Dean's ability to knock down the 3 is being overlooked by some in this thread. It presents a big problem for opponents. Combine that with a decent handle, mid range game and some pretty good footwork in the low post. Same problem that Ron poses for our opponents. You don't park a mismatch problem for your opponent on the bench. He should play maximum minutes.

He will get better defensively. All of our guys do. Credit to the staff.
You didn’t just compare Dean to RHJ 😂

He’s shot well with wide open looks but that won’t last once defenses make him a focus. And no his handle is nowhere close to RHJ’s on the wing.

I did not.
With Dean's ability to score at all 3 levels, he creates a similar MATCH UP problem.

He's 7 for 12 from 3.
Maybe it's me but I'll need to see more than 12 open 3s from a guy playing Center to buy into "score at all 3 levels".

Remember when Caleb went 20-56 (35.7%) his freshman year from 3?
Not saying he's going to be Caleb but 12 attempts isn't exactly a significant sample size.

Could not disagree more about his quickness. His stoke is pure as well. The very definition of a stretch 4.
Exactly…. prior to his coming out game Dean was criticized for not being quick enough. That’s totally a false evaluation. Can he guard a guy like Ivey or Davis ? No he can’t … Caleb can but there are very few at C Mc ‘s D level. Experience and technique on D will allow Reiber to play the 4 and yes the 5 when needed.

Reactions: SBP
You didn’t just compare Dean to RHJ 😂

He’s shot well with wide open looks but that won’t last once defenses make him a focus. And no his handle is nowhere close to RHJ’s on the wing.
I’m glad you can predict the future “that won’t last”…🤷🏻‍♂️

He's 7 for 12 from 3.
Maybe it's me but I'll need to see more than 12 open 3s from a guy playing Center to buy into "score at all 3 levels".

Remember when Caleb went 20-56 (35.7%) his freshman year from 3?
Not saying he's going to be Caleb but 12 attempts isn't exactly a significant sample size.
Love when all the RU MBB gurus give their analysis of our players. Seems PM and Reiber take the brunt of negative comments on their particular games. Face it some on here have played at a high level say post high school, some may even coach but most are nowhere near the levels of these players. Most posters are well beyond the times. Doesn’t mean they don’t know or can’t evaluate and give opinion but if just this season alone has proven to all the need to let the HC and staff make the decisions on who and where a player fits into the system.

Reactions: IL Lusciato
Love when all the RU MBB gurus give their analysis of our players. Seems PM and Reiber take the brunt of negative comments on their particular games. Face it some on here have played at a high level say post high school, some may even coach but most are nowhere near the levels of these players. Most posters are well beyond the times. Doesn’t mean they don’t know or can’t evaluate and give opinion but if just this season alone has proven to all the need to let the HC and staff make the decisions on who and where a player fits into the system.

True. Just like "let the HC and staff make the decisions on who" is going to start next year right?
You're talking about all the posters saying Dean is a "lock" to start next year.

Surely you're not talking about my post - which is literally actual stats.
Sorry if actual stats is upsetting or disrupts the blind random items others post.
Such as Dean is a "lock" to start next year - which is exactly the evaluation and opinion you are railing against.

Number 1 no wasn’t your post. It’s just posts in general who from pre season questioned Reiber and his ability to play at this level. Case closed on that issue. Some of us are saying this… he can play the 4 and the 5 . The jump from this to next will be noticeable I predict. This “he’s not quick enough “ is overused here. His problem with quicker guys is normal for a soph with little time spent at the 4 . I maintain he will be able to play not one but several positions. Guarantee this kid works his ass off in his ball handling skills.

Reactions: IL Lusciato
True. Just like "let the HC and staff make the decisions on who" is going to start next year right?
You're talking about all the posters saying Dean is a "lock" to start next year.

Surely you're not talking about my post - which is literally actual stats.
Sorry if actual stats is upsetting or disrupts the blind random items others post.
Such as Dean is a "lock" to start next year - which is exactly the evaluation and opinion you are railing against.

You sound like a real hater who is bitter than Dean proved many wrong this year man.

Who else on our team is ready to step in at 4 for Ron other than Dean?… I’ll wait

But doesn't it seem that the coaches have decided that Reiber fits best solely as a 5 in their system since that's the only position he's played? Or at least that Hyatt and Mag are better fits since they're the ones that come in when Harper comes out?

I’m glad you can predict the future “that won’t last”…🤷🏻‍♂️
LOL stop being sensitive and look at the current situation. Rarely is he being guarded right now unless he's down in the paint because they are focusing on RHJ, Geo and others. If he's the starting 4 he's going to have a defender in his face on regular basis contesting shots. So shooting over 50% from three won't last...lol.

No portal guy at 4, dude. Dean earned it. Portal 5 backup. Your Harper comment shows how clueless you are. MAG?? Right…
Why hasn't Reiber played any 4 this year?
Look at all the 4s we played this year and ask who on this team is best equipped to defend them.
In your offense is Reiber going to blow by them?

No portal guy at 4, dude. Dean earned it. Portal 5 backup. Your Harper comment shows how clueless you are. MAG?? Right…
What makes you such a know-it-all? Are you on Pike's staff? Are you a relative of Dean's? And how about telling us what 4 Dean can defend this year like I asked you, ok dude?

But doesn't it seem that the coaches have decided that Reiber fits best solely as a 5 in their system since that's the only position he's played? Or at least that Hyatt and Mag are better fits since they're the ones that come in when Harper comes out?
Yes at this juncture. We really have nobody else and don’t tell me Hyatt or Mag. If Pike gets a true B1G like the Lafayette kid. Dean will shift back and forth. He shoots well enough fro outside. Unless Ron stays ( ain’t happening) then Dean stays as a back up at the 5 but I and others think that narrative changes. The kid will be up 10 - 15 lbs. by next season. The kid is a gym rat and we all should never doubt that fact.

Ivey is a different type athlete. Almost impossible to shutdown completely. Caleb and Mag together… Cliff - Hyatt - Reiber on Edey a real monster in the middle.

You sound like a real hater who is bitter than Dean proved many wrong this year man.

How so?
Because I pointed out that going 7 for 12 doesn't make me sold on Dean being an elite scorer and 3pt shooter in the Big Ten?
Fine - I agree. Dean is going to shoot 58% from 3 next year! Look he went 7 for 12 this year! He's going to be an elite 4 next year!

Hmm....a real hater. Sounds familiar. Oh ya - someone (I won't call them out) called me that after I pointed out that SHU (10pts) was closer to a normal game for RHJ than Purdue (30pts).
Again...I used stats to point out that it didn't make sense to "expect" 20pts a night from RHJ and he was more likely to expect 10-20 points a night.

Quick look at final numbers - RHJ finished with a 16ppg average in the Big Ten.
I'll do the difficult math:
16-10 = 6
30 - 16 = 14

Amazing how analyzing stats and not making random predictions seems to work out more often than not.

Hyatt is the likely starter at the 4 barring a starting caliber transfer

He has shown to be better at defense at the 4 than 3. Big strong athletic body more in the mold of a EO Yeboah Harper than Dean. Strong rebounder.

Dean backs up Cliff and maybe some backup 4 minutes on top matchuo dependant. Nothing wrong with that role. He will be very very valuable.

Hyatt is the likely starter at the 4 barring a starting caliber transfer

He has shown to be better at defense at the 4 than 3. Big strong athletic body more in the mold of a EO Yeboah Harper than Dean. Strong rebounder.

Dean backs up Cliff and maybe some backup 4 minutes on top matchuo dependant. Nothing wrong with that role. He will be very very valuable.
Hyatt is 6-6 225. He’s more a 3 . Dean will be a 4, and is a better shooter. Hyatt and Dean need to be on floor together..

Reactions: Rokodesh
How can better defend Keegan Murray? Mag
How about Seth Lundy? Mag
How about Stefanovic or Ivey? Mag
All 215 pounds of him… he’s got no where near the game Reiber has now. Good athlete. Needs better ball skills. Will backup 3.

Hyatt is 6-6 225. He’s more a 3 . Dean will be a 4, and is a better shooter. Hyatt and Dean need to be on floor together..
He played the backup 4 and did better there than the 3. Same size as Yeboah. Hyatt looks bigger than he's listed as well. He has plenty of size to play the 4. It's 2022. The 4 is a different position.

It's funny bc I was the original Dean truther so I don't want to take the other side here, but Hyatt played the 4 this year and fits the mold of other Pike 4's much better. Hyatt at the 4 seems more logical

Reactions: YoucancallmeRay
He played the backup 4 and did better there than the 3. Same size as Yeboah. Hyatt looks bigger than he's listed as well. He has plenty of size to play the 4. It's 2022. The 4 is a different position.

It's funny bc I was the original Dean truther so I don't want to take the other side here, but Hyatt played the 4 this year and fits the mold of other Pike 4's much better. Hyatt at the 4 seems more logical
Yes he CAN play 4, but you would agree Dean has outplayed him in general especially with the outside game, cuts, etc Mag would need more bulk he’s not even 220…not to mention his shot

They both have had their moments this year. Mag played a critical role in the win against Purdue. Reiber played a critical role against PSU.

if i had to make a guess Mag plays a bigger role next year.

Reactions: RUBOB72
What is Reiber's role if say we land the 7 footer from Lafayette or another 5 transfer that will command minutes?

Cliff is starting and playing major minutes regardless of roster. Dean could be small ball 5 with the transfer being used in bigger matchups. Game to game their minutes vary, matchup dependent

Reiber almost has to play some 4 if we bring in another 5 or his minutes will be veryyy limited in a 3 way split where Cliff should be 30+

What is Reiber's role if say we land the 7 footer from Lafayette or another 5 transfer that will command minutes?

Cliff is starting and playing major minutes regardless of roster. Dean could be small ball 5 with the transfer being used in bigger matchups. Game to game their minutes vary, matchup dependent

Reiber almost has to play some 4 if we bring in another 5 or his minutes will be veryyy limited in a 3 way split where Cliff should be 30+
No reason to be looking for a 5. Plus they are hard to get

Reactions: rubigtimenow
No reason to be looking for a 5. Plus they are hard to get
I didn't realize the Lafayette kid had 2 years of eligibility so it makes some sense in that he can fill in right away for Agee as the 3rd big man and then the backup to Reiber in 2023. Although I think a perimeter player needs to be the priority this year. Especially if McConnell doesn't come back.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
One of our biggest problems this year has been defensive rebounding and giving up second chance points. Having another guy with size on the court will fix this. As for not having the speed to cover wings, as a taller player, he doesn’t need to play as tight, it’s all about positioning. He will also greatly help disrupting players who come into the paint. Right now Cliff is our only shot blocker and as a result he often gets out of position trying to provide help. If Reiber is on the floor, Cliff can stay at home more. And although the sample size is small, when you watch Reiber shoot, it is obvious he has the best shooting mechanics on the team. I expect him to play a lot of 4 next year if we can find a decent backup 5.

Reactions: Scangg and SBP
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT