ADVERTISEMENT

Extra Matches

njsportsphan

Junior
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2021
Anyone know if they're still going to have extra matches for the backups? That was one of, if not the only, good things that came out of the shortened season.

I don't think they'll be doing it with a full slate of open tourneys going on. You can get guys plenty of matches by sending them there.

Still no reason why you can’t wrestle the extra matches. They’re entirely optional to begin with.

Still no reason why you can’t wrestle the extra matches. They’re entirely optional to begin with.
There were no fans last time. What are you going to do, pay event staff OT. These programs for the most part lose money, they're not going to go further in the Red to get 4 or 5 guys some matches? Plus how do you workout the redshirts? Hey I'm with you, I liked them, but they're not going to happen.

Reactions: Leonard23
While I agree, it was a great idea for last season and would be great if it continues....... but the Big10 would have to change some rules to make it happen. The league sets the limit on how many wrestlers can travel to an away match(think it is 3 extra for 1 match for the weekend and 4 or 5 if you have two matches during the weekend). Unless they really increased the numbers who can travel, the teams would not bring anyone they planned on red-shirting. And little things like cannot wear the Rutgers singlet if redshirting, coaches cannot corner redshirts.

Reactions: Leonard23
There were no fans last time. What are you going to do, pay event staff OT. These programs for the most part lose money, they're not going to go further in the Red to get 4 or 5 guys some matches? Plus how do you workout the redshirts? Hey I'm with you, I liked them, but they're not going to happen.
You can do the exhibition matches an hour and a half to two hours before the main card. Open the doors to the building at the same time as usual, and anyone who wants to attend during that time can but I would think the turnout wouldn’t be huge.

And make it so that exhibitions don’t count towards record, seeding, or redshirt. It’s essentially a joint practice. Wrestlers get better. Isn’t that what we want?

While I agree, it was a great idea for last season and would be great if it continues....... but the Big10 would have to change some rules to make it happen. The league sets the limit on how many wrestlers can travel to an away match(think it is 3 extra for 1 match for the weekend and 4 or 5 if you have two matches during the weekend). Unless they really increased the numbers who can travel, the teams would not bring anyone they planned on red-shirting. And little things like cannot wear the Rutgers singlet if redshirting, coaches cannot corner redshirts.
That’s beyond dumb. The big 10 has enough money that they don’t need to pinch pennies for a meal plan for 10 wrestlers per team per weekend. It’s a total joke.

I get the no coaches, no team singlet thing if you really want to maintain the unaffiliated nonsense as if that makes any difference, but let the grad assistants or volunteer coaches get experience coaching the match on their own. Everyone wins except the big wigs up top that are hoarding money.

They were granted the extra matches last year because of the free year and no open tournaments. I don't see that happening this year. I'm hearing the backups will wrestle at the Princeton open on November 7.

That’s beyond dumb. The big 10 has enough money that they don’t need to pinch pennies for a meal plan for 10 wrestlers per team per weekend. It’s a total joke.

I get the no coaches, no team singlet thing if you really want to maintain the unaffiliated nonsense as if that makes any difference, but let the grad assistants or volunteer coaches get experience coaching the match on their own. Everyone wins except the big wigs up top that are hoarding money.
The airfare and hotel rooms are a lot of pennies. $$$$

Reactions: njsportsphan
The big 10 has a nearly 3 billion dollar TV contract.
I guess when you're $265 million in debt and running a $39 million annual deficit, a few plane tickets and rooms are indeed just pennies. $$$$

ADVERTISEMENT