ADVERTISEMENT

Face it, at best we’re a bubble team again

I'm just surprised we won without KYK getting into Illinois heads 🤣🤣🤣🤣
We won by 15 with me in attendance last year. We were up 6 until a buzzer beater irrelevant 3 at the end. 9 point difference without me there. I’ll forgive the extra 3 at the end because I wouldve rushed for the parking lot by the time that one was sunk

• Haha
Reactions: Scangg and RU516
If Rutgers continues to play like this and win, pikiell will be the hottest coach in the country and be on every major coaching job short list. Thank God Rutgers extended him last year and increased the buy out back to 5M when certain people said they shouldn’t have. 5M may not be big enough.
5 mil is not good. Kentucky would pay a $20 mil buyout to have him after this season. Scares me

We won by 15 with me in attendance last year. We were up 6 until a buzzer beater irrelevant 3 at the end. 9 point difference without me there. I’ll forgive the extra 3 at the end because I wouldve rushed for the parking lot by the time that one was sunk
Just stop. Seriously.

Reactions: Devilsfan118
When you already have brought a team to top 10-15 status in the toughest conference in America, how many other P5 programs are going to be able to lure someone away from that, especially when it's a risk to go back to rebuilding some other program and he's so beloved here? Not saying he'll never leave, but I don't think he's leaving to rebuild some P5 school that just fired its coach. I do worry about UConn and the NBA, though. I just hope he can stay here at least 3-4 more years until we're established as a top 25 program that perhaps can hire a really good successor should he leave.
I'd like to think these coaches talk and having Greg around he might be a good resource to suggest the grass isn't always greener. Pikes got a good squad, a fierce home court, and some success will breed more recruiting wins and investment.

Reactions: IBleedScarlet
If a blue blood comes calling he’s gotta take the call . That would also mean we made some major noise in the tournament

When you already have brought a team to top 10-15 status in the toughest conference in America, how many other P5 programs are going to be able to lure someone away from that, especially when it's a risk to go back to rebuilding some other program and he's so beloved here? Not saying he'll never leave, but I don't think he's leaving to rebuild some P5 school that just fired its coach. I do worry about UConn and the NBA, though. I just hope he can stay here at least 3-4 more years until we're established as a top 25 program that perhaps can hire a really good successor should he leave.

money talks. At 2.2M he is still one of the lowest paid coaches in big 10. If he can win at Rutgers he can win anywhere. Pikiell is a builder.

For example, Mick Cronin got 5.5M from UCLA and only made it to the sweet 16 once.

If a blue blood comes calling he’s gotta take the call . That would also mean we made some major noise in the tournament
I guess but those places are meat grinders... At some point don't you want to be be the guy that made uconn uconn? If we show we are willing to pay and invest why leave?

I guess but those places are meat grinders... At some point don't you want to be be the guy that made uconn uconn? If we show we are willing to pay and invest why leave?
Because it’s loads more money and a different world. At Kentucky or Kansas the head basketball coach is the most important person in the whole state . At rutgers , the head basketball coach isn’t the most important person in New Brunswick/piscataway.

Because it’s loads more money and a different world. At Kentucky or Kansas the head basketball coach is the most important person in the whole state . At rutgers , the head basketball coach isn’t the most important person in New Brunswick/piscataway.
Overrated imo... Aspire to be Calhoun, izzo, Kryszewski,

Reactions: Scangg
Why ya'll squabbling like little kids on here?
Not too concerned. Greg Schiano turned down the defense coordinator position on New England to coach here. I think Pike likes New Jersey. Don't get your undies twisted about this!

Reactions: DirtyRU
Overrated imo... Aspire to be Calhoun, izzo, Kryszewski,
That’s fine. I am not saying which is the right path , but there are reasons coaches refer to those jobs as once in a lifetime opportunities. Those jobs don’t come around often. Look at cal - he took 2 other schools to the final 4 and coached in the NBA before he got a crack at Kentucky

Reactions: theRU
Why ya'll squabbling like little kids on here?

Not too concerned. Greg Schiano turned down the defense coordinator position on New England to coach here. I think Pike likes New Jersey. Don't get your undies twisted about this!
I am not concerned either . If he leaves for a bigger job , that means we had a hell of a ride .

Reactions: theRU
One thing about Pat Hobbs is that he’s a basketball guy. Hobbs will do whatever it takes to retain Pike

Im sure Pike will be looking at a significant raise and extension after this season.

Reactions: Scangg and GORU2014
We will back up the brinks truck of Pike goes deep into the NCAA tourney and teams comes Calling

He's already coaching in the B1G 10. Unless it's someplace like Kentucky or Carolina where else would you want to coach?
He doesn"t seem like the kind of guy who would say Coach X is making this much money so I need to too. As long as he's treated with respect and he's comfortable financially why would he leave?

Reactions: jonS
I think we are discounting how much $1M actually is. Underwood makes 1.2m than pikiell. Tim miles was set to make more than pikiell before getting canned...

I just hope we have a great season and they come back to pikiell and give him another extension and give him program altering money. Not ncaa championship money yet but program changing money.

I don’t always agree with kyk’s tactics and takes . But the guy is supposedly a millionaire and must be right sometimes . He may be right here. I hope he’s wrong . But if he is right , he deserves the credit .

Wow, I looked and actually agreed with Kyk with the second post in this thread . I really hope I am wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT