ADVERTISEMENT

Face it, at best we’re a bubble team again

Even when Rutgers was winning games there were obvious team flaws that were mostly ignored by fans and the media.Its amazing how fast minds can change after only a few more games.Injuries are a big part of the downward performance.Baker,Young and Harper clearly aren't playing up to their capability and Cliff hasn't returned from a knee injury.

I mean, "at best we're a bubble team again" is still wrong, especially without using expansive definitions of bubble.

If rankings came out today we would still probably be in the bottom of the top 25, which I don't think anyone considers a bubble team, and there's also no reason to believe that this is best case scenario.

If we perform at the same average level over the rest of the season as we did the first 10 games, we are comfortably in.

Reactions: Scangg
I mean, "at best we're a bubble team again" is still wrong, especially without using expansive definitions of bubble.

If rankings came out today we would still probably be in the bottom of the top 25, which I don't think anyone considers a bubble team, and there's also no reason to believe that this is best case scenario.

If we perform at the same average level over the rest of the season as we did the first 10 games, we are comfortably in.
After what I saw last night, and losing 3 of 4 I would take your not best case scenario of bottom of the top 25 . That would put us in play for a 5 or 6 seed and play our first tourney game in 30 years . I would take that deal right now . Where do I sign ?

Reactions: IL Lusciato
Haha nice bump. I made this post opening night. I said three things in the OP I still firmly believe. They were as follows (copied and pasted from OP)

1) we dont run an offense and wont be able to just run vs more athletic teams (hello michigan state last night)
2) we cant bit free throws and this will lose us close games (hello all season)
3) its alot easier to play balls to the wall defense in front of 8500 peoples energy youre feeding off. (Granted we were pretty high in defensive efficiency last year but weve dropped from #6 in 2019-2020 to #26 in 2020-2021)

We are #33 on kenpom which is a 9 seed, I consider anything really 8-12 seeds to be bubble teams. Meaning going into the last week of the season you cant just go on vacation and know youll be in no matter what happens in the final 2-3 games

Haha nice bump. I made this post opening night. I said three things in the OP I still firmly believe. They were as follows (copied and pasted from OP)

1) we dont run an offense and wont be able to just run vs more athletic teams (hello michigan state last night)
2) we cant bit free throws and this will lose us close games (hello all season)
3) its alot easier to play balls to the wall defense in front of 8500 peoples energy youre feeding off. (Granted we were pretty high in defensive efficiency last year but weve dropped from #6 in 2019-2020 to #26 in 2020-2021)

We are #33 on kenpom which is a 9 seed, I consider anything really 8-12 seeds to be bubble teams. Meaning going into the last week of the season you cant just go on vacation and know youll be in no matter what happens in the final 2-3 games

18 to 33 in one game doesn't make sense if that is your metric....so based on 1 game, what is a team in January that is 18th in Kenpom (which isn't a seeding metric but fair to use, once you get to mid February, not early January).

My question is where is Michigan State after winning last night's game.....Duke is 12th in Kenpom at 3-2....they lost at home to Michigan State which is at 39 and at home to Illinois which is currently at 7 in Kenpom......you do realize that RU beat "7th" in Kenpom Illinois, yet RU is a bubble team....and "12th" Duke, doesn't have a quality win yet on their schedule....let me guess, you would have Duke seeded higher than RU.....LOL.....

There's a time and place for hot takes....a team starting the week at 15th in the AP Poll as a bubble team, sounds as far fetched as anything I've seen yet....

Cuse is also on Kenpom as well at 32, one spot ahead of RU at 33....no one would seed Cuse ahead of RU today, with RU owning a head to head win over Cuse.

If you don't like Pike or want to say things from a basketball perspective when RU has been in the Top 25 for 3 straight weeks, at least saying the game was horrific is one thing....no team in the low 30s on Kenpom is a bubble team. A bubble team is a team that lands on the last 4 in or 1st four out lists.....

Reactions: ancienthooper
18 to 33 in one game doesn't make sense if that is your metric....so based on 1 game, what is a team in January that is 18th in Kenpom (which isn't a seeding metric but fair to use, once you get to mid February, not early January).

My question is where is Michigan State after winning last night's game.....Duke is 12th in Kenpom at 3-2....they lost at home to Michigan State which is at 39 and at home to Illinois which is currently at 7 in Kenpom......you do realize that RU beat "7th" in Kenpom Illinois, yet RU is a bubble team....and "12th" Duke, doesn't have a quality win yet on their schedule....let me guess, you would have Duke seeded higher than RU.....LOL.....

There's a time and place for hot takes....a team starting the week at 15th in the AP Poll as a bubble team, sounds as far fetched as anything I've seen yet....

Cuse is also on Kenpom as well at 32, one spot ahead of RU at 33....no one would seed Cuse ahead of RU today, with RU owning a head to head win over Cuse.

If you don't like Pike or want to say things from a basketball perspective when RU has been in the Top 25 for 3 straight weeks, at least saying the game was horrific is one thing....no team in the low 30s on Kenpom is a bubble team. A bubble team is a team that lands on the last 4 in or 1st four out lists.....
So bubble teams are only last 4 in last 4 out? Another freezing cold take from you haha. Youve been brutal dude

e55ca0ccd428c788a24ae5b760b84d7f.jpg

Blowouts happen. Unfortunately, it was our turn last night.

When Michigan State and Iowa played at Purdue last season and lost by scores of 71-42 and 104-68, respectively, did you think they were bubble teams, too?

e55ca0ccd428c788a24ae5b760b84d7f.jpg

Blowouts happen. Unfortunately, it was our turn last night.

When Michigan State and Iowa played at Purdue last season and lost by scores of 71-42 and 104-68, respectively, did you think they were bubble teams, too?
Add Kansas to this list this year lost 84-59 to Texas. These nights happen, it's about how you respond in the next one. With this fan base win one game and everyone recenters.

Team is obviously in fine position to make the tournament if they get it together. Obviously won’t make it playing like this.

Looks like they saw this thread from afar and are pulling it together.

I always admit when im wrong. I have no problem with that. This one is trending wrong thus far and im happy about that. But regardless the fact remains we havent done a whole lot yet. The test lies ahead in the next couple weeks to see where were at
🤷‍♂️. Since people bumped this in an effort to dunk on me weve lost 4/5. I hold my same position as november. Bubble team at best

Weve dropped to kenpom #40. Which is a 10/11 seed range. In other words bubble team range

Haha a few weeks ago after the illinois win? People bumped this
Well, they’re eating crow . Or should be .
I see nothing wrong with bumping posts to either give someone credit or point out they wrong . You’re right so far , so you get credit . If you told me right now we would be squarely on the bubble, I would sign . I feel we may stink

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
What is unlikeable about tonight besides the L? Honestly team hustled, out rebounded Wisconsin. It wasn't because a lack of effort tonight

OP called it. You don’t need to like it, but if youre watching games it matches up. Bubble NIT team at best now that the B1G has figured Rutgers out.

Im just not sure how this wasnt evident to most people. I think we are right about where most sensible fans expected us.

while we may be “old” our players are extremely immature, we lack depth, our ID which has been defense is hard to keep up
With in front of no fans and face it, the book is out on pike and its easy to beat

Reactions: RUsojo
Im just not sure how this wasnt evident to most people. I think we are right about where most sensible fans expected us.

while we may be “old” our players are extremely immature, we lack depth, our ID which has been defense is hard to keep up
With in front of no fans and face it, the book is out on pike and its easy to beat

Our coach openly boasts about not worrying about the offensive inefficiency...

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
Our coach openly boasts about not worrying about the offensive inefficiency...
“I dont worry about that stuff. What i care about is that we share the game and play defense. If we play defense we win games. It doesnt go down in the stat sheet but when you hold (name a player) to X points, it is the same as scoring Y more points. I mean this is the best conference in the country”

Reactions: RUsojo
I mean he's not wrong but our defense has regressed. Get back to playing top 10 defense like last year and the offense would be forgivable.

ADVERTISEMENT