ADVERTISEMENT

Face it, at best we’re a bubble team again

I can’t recall my opinion from December/January. So I don’t know. I just remember at the time thinking hiw vastjy overrated we were. Especially when we made it to #11. Just thought it was crazy

We may have been overrated at #11 but not by 15 spots lol that’s just absurd.

Okay but that’s insane we were 6-0 with a win over Illinois. What the **** 25 teams were you ranking above us if you were an AP voter?

we did play essentially a different group of guys back then - they deserved to be ranked - this group probably would never have been ranked if this group played all year

Honestly it’s just the words “at best” that make it a bad take IMO. I don’t think there is really any indication that this is the team’s CEILING as opposed to its approximately median performance. I don’t think we’ve gotten especially lucky this season what with the injuries, the end of the Iowa game, getting robbed of a road win at Ohio State, etc.
A wise man once said, you are what your record says you are

Reactions: RUJMM78
This thread was flawed and didn’t really make sense from the beginning.

Title reads “at best were a bubble team” and then the post goes on to say we’re a middle of the pack BIG10 team between 7th-9th.

A 7th placed BIG10 team isn’t a bubble team. An 8th placed BIG10 team probably wouldn’t be considered a bubble team either. This is the deepest conference in the country by far.
Yeah? Since we joined the conference

2019: 8 bids
2018: 4 bids
2017: 7 bids
2016: 7 bids
2015: 7 bids

7-9 largely puts you in bubble position. In fact usually 8-9 almost always has you out. Easy to look up the above.

Reactions: The RUT
This team is a tournament lock without Geo.

JY controls the speed of the game to a level that other teams can’t keep up.

Geo comes back we fall back into a half court offense with a coach that doesn’t have a good half court offense and players that aren’t consistent shooters.

Reactions: drewbagel423
Yeah? Since we joined the conference

2019: 8 bids
2018: 4 bids
2017: 7 bids
2016: 7 bids
2015: 7 bids

7-9 largely puts you in bubble position. In fact usually 8-9 almost always has you out. Easy to look up the above.

The BIG10 was no where near as deep as it was in 2020 or is 2021 back then.

You realize there could have been 10-11 BIG teams in the tournament last year, right? We were basically a lock to be in the tournament last year finishing at 8th and Michigan was in at 9th behind us.

Purdue and Indiana were the bubble teams at 10th and 11th.

A 7th or 8th place (and maybe even 9th) placed BIG10 team this year won’t be a “bubble team”.

The title of this thread doesn’t align with the original post, hence why it was flawed.

The BIG10 was no where near as deep as it was in 2020 or is 2021 back then.

You realize there could have been 10-11 BIG teams in the tournament last year, right? We were basically a lock to be in the tournament last year finishing at 8th and Michigan was in at 9th behind us.

Purdue and Indiana were the bubble teams at 10th and 11th.

A 7th or 8th place (and maybe even 9th) placed BIG10 team this year won’t be a “bubble team”.

The title of this thread doesn’t align with the original post, hence why it was flawed.
The big ten has been around for how long? And can you tell me two things.

1) the most teams the conference has ever gotten in the tourney?

2) the average # of teams theyve gotten in the tourney?

hold that

The big ten has been around for how long? And can you tell me two things.

1) the most teams the conference has ever gotten in the tourney?

2) the average # of teams theyve gotten in the tourney?

hold that

Lol dude the past amount of teams or average amount of teams is irrelevant to the 2021 BIG.

A 7th, 8th or probably 9th placed BIG team is NOT a bubble team in 2021.

Wasn’t your post about the 2021 season?

You’re wrong man.

Lol dude the past amount of teams or average amount of teams is irrelevant to the 2021 BIG.

A 7th, 8th or probably 9th placed BIG team is NOT a bubble team in 2021.

Wasn’t your post about the 2021 season?

You’re wrong man.
LOL. So i did your homework for you. The big ten has only gotten more than 7 teams into the tourney once ever and that was 2019. So when I say a bubble team is 7-9 at the beginning of the season on opening night, historically im being overly generous as youre right, I was wrong. Usually historically 7-9 means youre out FAR more often than youre in.

hold the L pal, its gonna be okay

LOL. So i did your homework for you. The big ten has only gotten more than 7 teams into the tourney once ever and that was 2019. So when I say a bubble team is 7-9 at the beginning of the season on opening night, historically im being overly generous as youre right, I was wrong. Usually historically 7-9 means youre out FAR more often than youre in.

hold the L pal, its gonna be okay

Dude, I know you would never admit you were wrong on this and I’m wasting my time but you are WRONG.

What part of 2020 don’t you understand. BIG had 9 teams locked for the tourney and could have gotten 10-11 teams in. Finishing 7th - 9th was NOT a bubble team.

BIG10 will do very well again in 2021 and a 7th or 8th placed team will NOT be a bubble team.

You can talk about the past prior to 2020 all you want but these are meaningless stats.

You also realize the BIG10 had only 11 members up through 2011, right? And then only 12 members through 2014.

Another reason looking at past amount of teams is meaningless.

Lol take a lap as you like to say.

Reactions: fluoxetine
Dude, I know you would never admit you were wrong on this and I’m wasting my time but you are WRONG.

What part of 2020 don’t you understand. BIG had 9 teams locked for the tourney and could have gotten 10-11 teams in. Finishing 7th - 9th was NOT a bubble team.

BIG10 will do very well again in 2021 and a 7th or 8th placed team will NOT be a bubble team.

You can talk about the past prior to 2020 all you want but these are meaningless stats.

You also realize the BIG10 had only 11 members up through 2011, right? And then only 12 members through 2014.

Another reason looking at past amount of teams is meaningless.

Lol take a lap as you like to say.
Ahh okay, my bad didnt realize you knew before the season that the B1G would get 10-11 teams in. My bad. My crystal ball wasnt working in November. Whered u buy yours?

hence why i only used the numbers originally from 2015-2019 the years the league has had 14 members and during those years you can see above what the numbers are of tourney bids cupcake

Ahh okay, my bad didnt realize you knew before the season that the B1G would get 10-11 teams in. My bad. My crystal ball wasnt working in November. Whered u buy yours?

Wait what? This whole thread is about a projection you made in November.

Reactions: S_Janowski
Wait what? This whole thread is about a projection you made in November.
@S_Janowski is implying i shouldve known in november that the B1G would get 10-11 teams to dance and that saying 7-9 is bubble territory makes my claim irrelevant since its been apparently well known since november that its a 10-11 bid league.

reality is the league MAY get 9 in at this point, not 10 tho

@S_Janowski is implying i shouldve known in november that the B1G would get 10-11 teams to dance and that saying 7-9 is bubble territory makes my claim irrelevant since its been apparently well known since november that its a 10-11 bid league

It doesn't matter why you were wrong if you were wrong lol. You can claim you got Rutgers' position in the conference correct but the strength of the conference wrong, fine, but that's still wrong.

It doesn't matter why you were wrong if you were wrong lol. You can claim you got Rutgers' position in the conference correct but the strength of the conference wrong, fine, but that's still wrong.
Haha in november saying 7-9 is bubble territory was right and remains right. 7/8 being on the right side of the bubble at the moment and 9 being on last 4 in last 4 out line. Again, the leagues history has shown the most teams to ever make the tourney is 8, me saying in november if you finish 7-9 youre likely a bubble team is correct lol. You guys are grasping for straws now. To be expected though

First I never said BIG10 is definitely going to get 10-11 teams this year, but that’s besides the point.

But I could have told you going into the season that a 7th or 8th placed BIG10 team isn’t a bubble team in 2021. It wouldn’t have been hard to realize the conference was going to be a deep one again, much like 2020.

I’m not even arguing or debating with most of your original post I’m just saying the title of your thread, which seems to be garnering the most attention (bubble team), does not align with what you actually wrote. Hence probably why you got so much disagreement.

The 7th best team in the Big Ten was never going to be on the bubble and you should have known that in November honestly. 9th I'll give you.

@S_Janowski is implying i shouldve known in november that the B1G would get 10-11 teams to dance and that saying 7-9 is bubble territory makes my claim irrelevant since its been apparently well known since november that its a 10-11 bid league.

reality is the league MAY get 9 in at this point, not 10 tho

Now you’re just making $hit up.

This is where I see my way out, enjoy that lap lol.

The game that decides 8th vs 9th place in the conference. Why is it a massive game?It couldnt be because the loser finds themselves in last 4 in or last 4 out territory would it? Meaning that if the loser doesnt get in the tourney then only 8 teams do? Hmmmm

We'd fall to like an 11 seed with another loss. Then, finally, you could truly call us a bubble team.

100% accurate post at the end of the season. Good call kyk.

Lot of people owe you an apology.

he got one right. Congrats
My % of hits on things deemed “hot takes” is probably the highest in board history. Im not even joking with that statement haha. I certainly stick my neck out on alot of predictions and ive been reallllllllly wrong on some of them (jonathan taylor junior year of hs prediction for example) but im right at an insane clip on really hot takes

I just hope people agree that if you go into your last regular season game and arent a shoe in the tourney that youre a bubble team
We‘re basically asking the committee to throw us a bone here for not being in the tourney in so long.

My % of hits on things deemed “hot takes” is probably the highest in board history. Im not even joking with that statement haha. I certainly stick my neck out on alot of predictions and ive been reallllllllly wrong on some of them (jonathan taylor junior year of hs prediction for example) but im right at an insane clip on really hot takes
You had nothing but bad things to say about Eugene when he transferred and you also railed against the team last year and said they’d miss the tournament

You had nothing but bad things to say about Eugene when he transferred and you also railed against the team last year and said they’d miss the tournament
Yup thought we were better with akwasi > eugene. I believe that proved true, no? I dont recall ever railing against this team last year. You got the wrong guy. Pretty sure i threatened to rip jerry palms toupee off if he didnt stop ripping RU. Last years team was alot better than this years imo. People dont realize how big of a departure akwasi was

I don't know if awkwasi > eugene.

Eugene is the best player on an Oregon team that's just as good as us.

I will say that if the rumors are true and he's the reason why McClung didn't come here, then eff him for doing that and then bailing.

Reactions: biazza38
Yup thought we were better with akwasi > eugene. I believe that proved true, no? I dont recall ever railing against this team last year. You got the wrong guy. Pretty sure i threatened to rip jerry palms toupee off if he didnt stop ripping RU. Last years team was alot better than this years imo. People dont realize how big of a departure akwasi was
You said the football team would make a bowl game before the bball team made the tournament, which obviously could be right but only on a technicality. And the reason why ppl ripped on your original post is because you’re an a$$ going about it. I called you out on two things you were wrong about and you resort to calling me guy. Cool story. Peace

I don't know if awkwasi > eugene.

Eugene is the best player on an Oregon team that's just as good as us.

I will say that if the rumors are true and he's the reason why McClung didn't come here, then eff him for doing that and then bailing.
Eugene was a ball stopper. Our team was better with akwasi over him imo

You're right for a change - you're posts are. insane.

This gets bumped after every loss so let’s dissect it after clinching
Very happy were not gonna have to sweat selection sunday out now. It came down to overtime in the final regular season game but weve done ut. Ticket punched. Likely a 9 seed id guess?

Very happy were not gonna have to sweat selection sunday out now. It came down to overtime in the final regular season game but weve done ut. Ticket punched. Likely a 9 seed id guess?
Depends. Can we win a game or two in the conference tourney?

Responding to the OP...given where we were at every point in the season, at WORST we are a bubble team. We actually finished slightly better than a worst case scenario, and we were never really on the bubble. But we fell well short of our best possible scenario.

Reactions: RU848789
ADVERTISEMENT