ADVERTISEMENT

Fall Showcase MVP & All-First Team - Mulcahy

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
DqM7cqSWsAEDRVN.jpg

Paul is one of the reasons I believe that the 2019-2020 season is the real first step for Coach Pikiell and this program. This season to me is the last step of the building blocks, next year the turn around starts for us.

And yet I’m not even sure he starts next year. Jacob Young will have 3 years out of high school on him, including 2 years of major conference college b-ball experience. And he’ll have had a year with the team/coaches to integrate and learn the schemes.

And yet I’m not even sure he starts next year. Jacob Young will have 3 years out of high school on him, including 2 years of major conference college b-ball experience. And he’ll have had a year with the team/coaches to integrate and learn the schemes.

Exactly, but we will have 4 ball handlers (Geo, Jacob, Caleb, and Paul)...all offering something different. Haven't had that type of roster here. Just need to fill out the last spot with a shooter preferably a stretch 4.

Paul is the real deal. I saw him play about 7 times over the last two years. He will really help us. Some on here were very down on him. I think they will become believers.

I like his game. If he develops a consistent perimeter game he will really be big time

Reactions: Scangg
We might actually get a kid who is regarded as the best player in the state next year. Pretty sure that has never happened.

We might actually get a kid who is regarded as the best player in the state next year. Pretty sure that has never happened.

Whitney, Antoine and Lewis may all be McD's AA and play in NJ. I think Mulchay is going to be really good, but not sure he is going to be considered the best player in NJ.

I was going to say Rosario but Samardo Samuels was the #4 prospect that year.

Like @RutgHoops I don't think Mulcahy will end up being considered the top player in the state, so this is all academic. Whitney, Lewis, and Antoine are top-15 prospects.

Reactions: richthedentist
Whitney, Antoine and Lewis may all be McD's AA and play in NJ. I think Mulchay is going to be really good, but not sure he is going to be considered the best player in NJ.
I'm pretty sure he won't be ahead of the Ranney kids but it's nice to just think about. Let's at least get on the ball and give him his fourth star. Heard Whitney is a shaky kid.

Paul has started hitting the weight room in comparison to the skinny guard i saw play at Kean in late 2016, when he went up against Doucoure's team in a holiday tournament.

I will look for Mulcahy's impact to take hold during his sophomore season at RU, it will be another 2 years of added quickness, strength to play through contact and working on his perimeter shooting.

Once all of those things improve to go along with his savvy play and passing ability, is when I see his impact. It will be Geo Bakers senior season and Mathis, Harper's junior season.

Going up against a lightning quick guard in Jacob Young will also accelerate his development as well. Young will earn minutes next year and allow Mulcahy to come in without a ton of fanfare and thoughts that he has to deliver immediately.

The program needed a Eugene, Baker starting point on work ethic and it's now supplemented with different types of players like Mulcahy who has a unique skill set like McConnell....good passer, long arms, playing with confidence and willing to share the rock.

Rutgers always is missing someone who created easy buckets for teammates. Can't wait to have him on the roster. Kids are gonna love playing with him

Reactions: BillyC80
Who knows how committable an offer it was but Florida had offered him back in the spring. Their class is absolutely loaded (Lewis is headed there along with another 5* and a 4*) so I don't think they would've offered if they didn't think highly of him. These are kinds of recruiting battles we need to win at least occasionally and I'm super pumped to see him next year.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Pikiell pursue a front-court grad transfer next spring, or a sit-out transfer. He's been very active in those markets.

Paul is one of the reasons I believe that the 2019-2020 season is the real first step for Coach Pikiell and this program. This season to me is the last step of the building blocks, next year the turn around starts for us.
I will go a step further and say it will be the first chance in forever that we will flirt on the NCAA bubble and hopefully fall on the right side of the bubble.

Reactions: ruready07
We are going to be DEEP at the one, two,
And three spots...and that doesn’t include Harper who I expect to eventually be that stretch four

This board is obsessed with the concept of the stretch four.

It's the separation from a good to great offensive program and one that's limited on both ends of the floor....it's not to say you can't win without it, but the key is whether your 4 can defend and rebound. We have to maintain the defense and rebounding at the 4 and 5 before trying to get a scoring threat at all 5 positions.

Someone should document the various obsessions that rotate through the board...

1. Shot release point...
  2. Small vs. Big point guards...
  3. Out of bounds plays...
  4. Playing Princeton...
  5. Stretch 4...
I'm missing 20, but... you know...

Someone should document the various obsessions that rotate through the board...

1. Shot release point...
  2. Small vs. Big point guards...
  3. Out of bounds plays...
  4. Playing Princeton...
  5. Stretch 4...
I'm missing 20, but... you know...

RAC parking
RAC concessions
Ash vs. Pikiell

I'm pretty sure he won't be ahead of the Ranney kids but it's nice to just think about. Let's at least get on the ball and give him his fourth star. Heard Whitney is a shaky kid.
QUESTION- Arguably NJ is top 5 high school basketball in nation.
If youwell paid college job is in the line, and you have the first pick of all the best players in state .... it’s an easy question. Mulcahy is just different. The others are tremendous. One game- it’s Mulcahy.

A stretch 4 is not an obession.... it's how the game today is played by really good teams.
I'm sure the shot doctors think that their release point obsession also shouldn't be included.

There are lots of ways to win and the game evolves from decade to decade. I'd love a stretch-4 too, but in five years it will be a different obsession.

I'm sure the shot doctors think that their release point obsession also shouldn't be included.

There are lots of ways to win and the game evolves from decade to decade. I'd love a stretch-4 too, but in five years it will be a different obsession.

Of course, the game will always evolve and one day we could go back to traditional lineups as the norm...but, right now, the winning teams have 4 shooters on the court.... they do not have low post PF's and Centers.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
Not that it matters, but I'm expecting Mulcahy to move up the rankings and get that 4th star next cycle.

When do updated rankings come out? Might be a question for Russ.

Not that it matters, but I'm expecting Mulcahy to move up the rankings and get that 4th star next cycle.

He had a fourth star on TOS for a hot minute. There's an article dated May 21 that says he was bumped to 4*. but he's back down to 3* now. For the conspiracy theorists, he got the bump AFTER committing to Rutgers so it wasn't some kind of Rutgers Downgrade. He's currently the top-rated 3* guy over there by their own ratings. By their composite rating, he's the 16th-highest 3*.

I think I remember Russ saying he had a foot injury when he saw him back in the spring so his defense was lacking. If their evaluators see him looking healthy and playing good defense, I could see him getting bumped up.

However I also think most of their attention will be moving onto 2020 guys by the time the HS basketball season really gets in swing. Once a big bulk of the class is committed there's not much sense continually re-ratings guys -- fans care more about the uncommitted ones.

Reactions: dkostus

Hopefully not until January or February

However I also think most of their attention will be moving onto 2020 guys by the time the HS basketball season really gets in swing. Once a big bulk of the class is committed there's not much sense continually re-ratings guys -- fans care more about the uncommitted ones.
We update classes at roughly the same time.

Typically we have done a rankings update in January or February and then another one in April. If we stick to that schedule there would be two more updates for the class of 2019 before we "close the book" on that class.

Reactions: Scangg and kcg88
He's going to be a very important player for us, which will allow some of our other guys (gio, Mathis, Kiss, and Jacob Young) much easier chances to score. Paul is a playmaker who makes everyone better on the court. You can't teach the court vision he has. I think we are going to see some crazy lineups, since we will be very deep at guard when he is a frosh and sophomore. Think about it, at the 1, 2, and 3 spots we have Mulchahey, Gio, jacob young (who supposedly is a really good scorer and quickest player on team), Kiss, Mathis, and McConnel. That is a deep and versatile group that you can do a lot of things with. I'm hoping Harper develops at the 4 so we can have a stretch 4 for someone to replace Eugene when he is gone. I think we still need to add some talent up front but if Harper can develop at the 4, our offense could be deadly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT