ADVERTISEMENT

Fans in Stands Decision?

TrueRU

Senior
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2004
When will a decision be made for 2020 on whether fans will have the option to attend? I know RU is waiting as long as they can here but I would think they need to give season ticket holders the option soon and perhaps gather a tally of what people will decide to do:
-Go to games
-Defer to 2021
-Use as a donation

Reactions: cicero grimes
I hope there is a season and fans will be allowed to attend but if the current social distancing guidelines are still in effect I am not sure how they can manage it. There is no way to keep people six feet apart in the lots let alone the stadium or even the lines to get through security.

Reactions: JRZEER and Kbee3
There should be a plan for this regardless, it’s just good preparation to do so. But as I’ve mentioned a few times, I am not expecting a fall football season.

There should be a plan for this regardless, it’s just good preparation to do so. But as I’ve mentioned a few times, I am not expecting a fall football season.
I'm confident in football this academic year.

There are 3 scenarios that I think could happen (ranked by my opinion of likelihood)

1 - Spring football
2 - Fall football, no fans in the stands
3 - Fall football, limited to season ticket holders in the stands. For teams that have large season ticket holder bases, a rotating schedule of groups of fans attending particular games. (i.e., Group A gets home game 1, 3, 5, 7...Group B gets home game 2, 4, 6)

Reactions: Knightmoves
I'm confident in football this academic year.

There are 3 scenarios that I think could happen (ranked by my opinion of likelihood)

1 - Spring football
2 - Fall football, no fans in the stands
3 - Fall football, limited to season ticket holders in the stands. For teams that have large season ticket holder bases, a rotating schedule of groups of fans attending particular games. (i.e., Group A gets home game 1, 3, 5, 7...Group B gets home game 2, 4, 6)
It's my understanding that RU has retained Chris Ash as a consultant for social distancing coordination in the stands.

There are probably about 10 contingency plans now. I would think they will wait until early August to announce the plan they hope to implement, and then have back up contingency plans to implement as needed.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
I am not sure why everyone is pretty sure that there will even be a season .
This. As i posted in my other thread. Colleges this far have had a horrific time managing this virus this month. Clemson has nearly 40 players test positive. Some with bad symptoms. Michigan college town area had a big outbreak as well.

I'm sure there are several plans. But you aren't going to give people attendance options until the full season has been confirmed. Why allow people to select an option where they would be attending the Monmouth or Syracuse games if those games are postponed because teams will only play Conference schedules?

Anyone else kind of digging the idea of a spring season? Tailgating will get warmer as the time goes on.

Not to mention the NFL will definitely do whatever they have to do to play this fall and keep the money train rolling. We could get legitimate, high quality football for 9-10 straight months.

Anyone else kind of digging the idea of a spring season? Tailgating will get warmer as the time goes on.

Not to mention the NFL will definitely do whatever they have to do to play this fall and keep the money train rolling. We could get legitimate, high quality football for 9-10 straight months.
and it won't be deathly hot for the first 3 weeks of the season.

I wonder when they would start a spring season, and if the same schedule of opponents would be in place? Would it start in February?

Reactions: koleszar
You have to prepare as there will be a season. A treatment/cure could come out in two months and then everyone back to business. Also the way numbers are falling for Big Ten areas we are headed in a good direction.
You have to prepare as there will be a season. A treatment/cure could come out in two months and then everyone back to business. Also the way numbers are falling for Big Ten areas we are headed in a good direction.

You have to prepare as there will be no season. The data points to that, and there is not expected to be a cure or vaccine in the next two months.

Reactions: Greg2020 and Kbee3
I hope there is a season and fans will be allowed to attend but if the current social distancing guidelines are still in effect I am not sure how they can manage it. There is no way to keep people six feet apart in the lots let alone the stadium or even the lines to get through security.
MSU is using an idea to only allow season ticket holders into stadium. The seats would be 6 ft apart and every section of stadium would be used. Each game you would be assigned a different section,like a lottery.

The seats would be 6 ft apart and every section of stadium would be used. Each game you would be assigned a different section,like a lottery.
If Rutgers implements this, I am assured of getting corner upper tier last row seats for 6 of 7 home games. The 7th I'll get right behind the goal post. If there's such a thing as luck on this earth, I live in the farthest place from it.

MSU is using an idea to only allow season ticket holders into stadium. The seats would be 6 ft apart and every section of stadium would be used. Each game you would be assigned a different section,like a lottery.
Michigan State?

So you cant talk to your friends and neighbors while the game goes on?
No high-five when we score?
No making noise on defense.
really sounds better to watch on TV in this case.

You have to prepare as there will be no season. The data points to that, and there is not expected to be a cure or vaccine in the next two months.
The NCAA, the B1G, and RU have to prepare as though there will be a season. How we prepare is of no consequence.

I wonder when they would start a spring season, and if the same schedule of opponents would be in place? Would it start in February?
Sure, why not.

That’s when all the other “Spring” sports seem to start.

Last edited:
They have to decide if they are playing first before worrying about fans in the stands.
No they don't. They will wait until the latest possible day to make a decision on playing. I'm sure they're discussing all kinds of scenarios now when it comes to fans.

Are they not allowed to make plans for a potential season until it's 100% certain that they're having one?

I think Murphy's postponement of indoor eating today is the handwriting on the wall that spells doom for fans attending games. They may or may not play the game, but it certainly doesn't look like the fans will be there. He is concerned with 'sedentary' activity, albeit indoors, but his decision was prompted by large outdoor gatherings over the weekend (like tailgating?)

This is a tricky issue. The 7 day average for deaths is declining but we are seeing some flare ups. So far so good but we have to watch carefully. If cases keep going up but deaths decline we may see fans in the stands. Probably with masks and less people. I’m hoping for the best but I’m okay with being cautious too.

No, they can't wait for that decision. Must have the contingency plans in place and ready to go.

You are putting the cart before the horse.
1st Priority- Is it safe for college athletes, coaches, and staff to be on the field for games.
2nd - can we allow fans in the stands and if yes how many {% of capacity....25% example} and logistics of seat assignments/ spacing.

Reactions: RUaMoose

I would think that they would run out of seats too fast (if there was enough interest to go).....you would have approximately 3 empty seats between each person......From what I understand your group would stay together and the there would be 6 feet to the next group. Just like sitting at table for outside dining.

Last edited:

I can dig it in a "better than nothing" way, but cfb and fall are inexorably intertwined and don't think spring will be the same. That's MLB season. Sitting inside watching bowls on 4th of July just not the same perfect feel as NYD.

Those weeks you gain in not hellishly hot are instead potentially frigid Feb weather.

Debbie Downer gif, I know.

Reactions: RUDave_01
I would think that they would run out of seats too fast (if there was enough interest to go).....you would have approximately 3 empty seats between each person......From what I understand your group would stay together and the there would be 6 feet to the next group. Just like sitting at table for outside dining.
How would they assign seating with groups clustered together? That would be a nightmare to manage.
Nobody knows who is part of which group, unless you are talking about the group of seats from each ticket account, which could be from 1 to a dozen or so people. Still sounds like a nightmare to manage seating assignments, with very few people being happy where they end up.

ADVERTISEMENT