ADVERTISEMENT

Few thoughts on the Sacred Heart game

rudad02

All American
Nov 7, 2010
Don't know if these points have been addressed in other threads but for what they're worth:
1] Both Young & Mathis played under much better control. Very good to see. Though he missed a couple, thought Montez's shot looked better.
2] Mulcahy looked better on both D & O. Sometimes more muscle & weight can cost a step, but he looked much quicker on D. He looked confident & strong on O. Passing on another level.
3] As I'm sure has been noted elsewhere, FT's once again NOT GOOD. Going to have to improve a great deal or it is going to cost us games we should have won.
4] Team is very unselfish. Excellent chemistry & teamwork.

Last edited:
With Geo likely out a few games it was good to see how confident Mulcahy was out there. These next few games should give him a look running the offense for major minutes and will only help his development. The offense really looked good with the ball in his hands and really liked that he was a bit more aggressive scoring as well. He even stepped into a 3 in transition with confidence and knocked it down but his toe was on the line. Ron had a 3 like that too which needs to be cleaned up but promising first game from Muscles Mulcahy.

Really loved the transition bucket where Paul was coming down the left side while keeping the defender on his outside hip dribbling with his right hand with his head up freezing the defender looking like he wanted to dish it until he eventually took it hard to the tin and finished with his left over another defender. It was just a high IQ veteran type play from Paul. Perfectly played

The thing that stood out to me was Mulcahy put on a lot of muscle. When he goes into defenders he doesn’t bounce off them this year it’s the other way around. He has much better body control and poise. Excellent player, will be fun to watch him this year.

Don't know if these points have been addressed in other threads but for what they're worth:
1] Both Young & Mathis played under much better control. Very good to see. Though he missed a couple, thought Montez's shot looked better.
2] Mulcahy looked better on both D & O. Sometimes more muscle & weight can cost a step, but he looked much quicker on D. He looked confident & strong on O. Passing on another level.
3] As I'm sure has been noted elsewhere, FT's once again NOT GOOD. Going to have to improve a great deal or it is going to cost us games we should have won.
4] Team is very unselfish. Excellent chemistry & teamwork.
The foul shooting,which should be Aouto-FREEKING- matic was NOT. The 3's percentage was BAD. I don't care how good a team looks in this ,that or the other aspect of the game. IF the outside shooting is not GOOD,they will not beat the GOOD teams.

The foul shooting,which should be Aouto-FREEKING- matic was NOT. The 3's percentage was BAD. I don't care how good a team looks in this ,that or the other aspect of the game. IF the outside shooting is not GOOD,they will not beat the GOOD teams.
Agreed but let’s temper that with this being a first game and a COVID-19 era....that being said had them shot last year’s averages for both we drop 100 on them...

I noted last year that Mulcahy didn't do well against the better defenses that pressured him. Lay off him a little and he will pick you apart. Extend the D and pressure him and his game last year, largely predicated on holding the ball in traffic, fell apart. Sacred Heart showed he's definitely more confident, and more willing to score. And scoring is exactly what is needed to punish people that press you. So we will see. But until he faces a good intense D, the jury is out.

I think this team is better and more talented than a year ago (which is saying something). I think we are not as deep as a year ago (bench): JY, Mulcahy, Caleb, Carter last year v. Mulcahy, Myles, Mag and Oskar this season. Wonder if Caleb is an option this season if Geo is forced to miss real time.

We weren't a good 3 point or FT shooting team last year and we were really good. If we became a good 3 point and FT shooting team we would be competing for a national championship. All teams have weaknesses. Also stop overreacting to one game when it comes to stats like shooting percentages. 1 game is wayyyy too small of a sample size. It was a dominating performance. We had 72 points in the paint. Relax. Enjoy this team.

Maybe a rule.. for the season.. once you have taken a dozen threes.. if you haven't hit 4 you stop taking 3s. And if you pass that barrier.. once your percentage dips to 25% you are done taking 3s for the season. (leave a little room in that for oddities.. like forced threes as time runs out, end of half shots, shots where you get fouled and no call..)

We weren't a good 3 point or FT shooting team last year and we were really good. If we became a good 3 point and FT shooting team we would be competing for a national championship. All teams have weaknesses. Also stop overreacting to one game when it comes to stats like shooting percentages. 1 game is wayyyy too small of a sample size. It was a dominating performance. We had 72 points in the paint. Relax. Enjoy this team.
Correct .It really is too small an example of the team's potential. I JUST HAPPEN TO love THOSE FREE AND LONG THROWS TO DROP IN.

Reactions: Scangg
ADVERTISEMENT