ADVERTISEMENT

Football Final Beer Sales numbers for 2019 football season

Richie O

Hall of Famer
Staff
Mar 21, 2016
South Amboy, NJ
Forgot who asked me but just got word back on my OPRA request on beer sales this football season.

The gross beer sales for the 2019 football season was $428,689.

Nice $. The only problem I witnessed was an Ohio state fan throwing a half full can into a section of ... Ohio State fans. That and long lines. At the time, security was not visible in the area. I realized later they were nearby but were standing in an area up a step or two near an entrance that made them less visible.

Did the math. Comes to about 8k beers sold a game this year. Would be much better If stadium more filled.

Your math is wrong.
With 7 home games your 8k beers per game works out to $7.65 per beer.
At $12.per beer it was more like 5100 beers per game.

‘Considering we only had about 14k real Attendance per game that is not bad.
2020 these Sales will double. Many more fans / more competitive games/ fans stay for the whole game

Reactions: jreinsdorf
So if,
"The gross beer sales for the 2019 football season was $428,689."

Then what's the net? 200k? 250k?

Nice $. The only problem I witnessed was an Ohio state fan throwing a half full can into a section of ... Ohio State fans. That and long lines. At the time, security was not visible in the area. I realized later they were nearby but were standing in an area up a step or two near an entrance that made them less visible.
Are the Concession beers sold in cans? dON'T UNDERSTAND THAT. dANGEROUS FOR THE NON DRUNKS IN THE STANDS

So if,
"The gross beer sales for the 2019 football season was $428,689."

Then what's the net? 200k? 250k?
That's an interesting question given the costs associated with it.

Well, maybe if the team does better, the sales will LOWER.
Fans will not be drowning their sorrows.
I guess it depends on if you are a glass 1/2 empty or glass 1/2 full kind of person.

Reactions: RUtix4me
Last edited:
The selection seemed to go downhill as the season went...downhill. I will do my part to not polish off that last beer on the walk over, but buy one in the stadium.

I guess it depends on if you are a glass 1/2 empty or glass 1/2 full kind of person.
If you averaged 0.3 beers per person in attendance, when you have 15k in the stands, that's 4500 beers sold.

if you average .15 beers per person sold when attendance is 40k, you'll sell 6k beers.

And as expected the predictions of drunken Armageddon at football games did not come to pass.

Are the Concession beers sold in cans? dON'T UNDERSTAND THAT. dANGEROUS FOR THE NON DRUNKS IN THE STANDS

In theory, cans are quicker in the sale process than having someone pour a beer. That and you don't need to set up taps and additional infrastruccture for the kegs.

And as expected the predictions of drunken Armageddon at football games did not come to pass.

Amazing. The stands didn't turn into the drunken steel cage death match that so many Mother Teresa's were predicting.

Well to be fair, the sample size was so small this year I’m not sure we can conclude anything from it one way or the other.

Reactions: mikebal9
$428,000?

Subtracting actual cost of the beer, I assume that leaves a profit of about $427,000?
@InGregITrust unless I’m mistaken you’re the proprietor of a few of our beloved drinking spots in NB. What’s your take? $428k gross; what’s the approx net revenue?

Maybe your joshing, but if you have 3 times as many people in the stands, and they stay for the entire game instead of showing up late and leaving early, then you will certainly sell more beer.

I imagine there are some other costs, like paying the people to serve it, the alcohol compliance officers and probably an increase in the insurance cost for each athletic event. I'm guessing that the university netted a nice chunk of change.

Typical Rutgers, takes the little plastic caps off my water bottle, but allows drunks to buy a can of beer to throw and injure someone.
Stupid!!!!
I hope someone sues their ass!!!

Rutgers net profit isn't just based on cost of the beer alone. Remember this is NJ. There are a lot of hands in the pockets before the final amount is determined. My guess the company that sells the beer (Shore Point) is giving a discount for volume but at the same time is charging a percentage of sales for set up and break down each game. Sodexo or any concession vendor will get their cut as well as the contracted vendor for the Stadium. I'm also guessing that Rutgers insurance cost went up too.

Typical Rutgers, takes the little plastic caps off my water bottle, but allows drunks to buy a can of beer to throw and injure someone.
Stupid!!!!
I hope someone sues their ass!!!
Maybe, instead of wishing for a lawsuit, you could instead just wish that someone in authority makes an adjustment to the stadium policy? Seems a bit simpler and avoids wasting money that could be used for recruiting purposes.

:)

@InGregITrust unless I’m mistaken you’re the proprietor of a few of our beloved drinking spots in NB. What’s your take? $428k gross; what’s the approx net revenue?

Has NJ changed the ABC laws on only allowing 2 liquor licenses.

IIRC wasn't it changed back in the Art Stock days ?

A friend who had 2 at the Shore, put another in his Wife's Sister's name and other sneaky ways. (He actually controlled 4 or 5, not sure which.)

ADVERTISEMENT