ADVERTISEMENT

Final Four

the unbeatable went down in defeat:
the College WBB world ( except in Connecticut) rejoices
EG0yM.gif

Two really good games last night - went to bed at the end of regulation, way past my bed time . Happy to see results this am. Now got to root for MS State!

Reactions: APKnight
Losing in the semis two years in a row would be great for most schools, but obviously not for UConn.

Since 2000 (19 seasons):

19 Sweet Sixteens
18 Elite Eights
16 Final Fours
10 NCAA championships

Like him or not.
That is simply incredible.

Unlike some, I don't root against Geno. I just marvel at the wealth of talent represented by the Four Finalists. UConn gets it's fair share of players, but there are plenty of good/great high school players to go around. What concerns me is how to get these young ladies to play for Rutgers. It seems like a decade ago when Carlene Mitchell was on the road bringing recruits to Rutgers? I don't see any change in the near future until Rutgers hires a younger coach that will attract these prospects. There has to be reason why these young prospects are not coming to Rutgers. Pat Hobbs' needs to get an answer and soon. Free parking is not enough for me to keep renewing my tickets.

Yahooooooo! UCONN UCAN'T win another national championship. :weary: Oh Geno, you poor baby.

The thing I hated is usually the first two rounds are in Connecticut. But yes just amazing.

Of course this is all opinion...but Geno’s teams from the past 2 years were not as good as his vintage teams. Not even close. They benefitted from much easier schedules than years ago. And even the “quality” teams they played during the year and in the tournament were not the opponents of the past. I think the past couple of years there has been a national slip in talent in the women’s game (I have said this on a few occasions). ND beat UConn with 2 players yesterday. Beating a UConn team years ago with only 2 players would have been unthinkable. Yes, there have been major injuries to clubs like SC and ND....but this U Conn team was “just very, very good” with weaker-than-usual opponents in most of their regular season.

Of course this is all opinion...but Geno’s teams from the past 2 years were not as good as his vintage teams. Not even close. They benefitted from much easier schedules than years ago. And even the “quality” teams they played during the year and in the tournament were not the opponents of the past. I think the past couple of years there has been a national slip in talent in the women’s game (I have said this on a few occasions). ND beat UConn with 2 players yesterday. Beating a UConn team years ago with only 2 players would have been unthinkable. Yes, there have been major injuries to clubs like SC and ND....but this U Conn team was “just very, very good” with weaker-than-usual opponents in most of their regular season.
You sound well informed. Can you comment on why Rutgers is not attracting the strong recruits like the days of Pondexter, Prince, Carson, Ajavon, et al. Why is Rutgers no longer a destination for top talent?

If Geno coached here we would be asking for his head! Losing in the semis 2 years in a row. Game must be passing him by.

Even the women's game has changed. Need faster guards that can run the floor and drive to the basket. Need a few really good 3 point shooters that are on almost every game. Maybe more importantly, the ability to pass the ball around without really thinking about it. All the superior teams can do it.
Definitely need a different offensive scheme and the type players that make it work. Hate to say it, but we're not close compared to this year's sweet sixteen.
Can't get there without better talent.

I am not sure I agree about UConn. I do think that the current UConn team is not as good as the recent Stewart led teams, but that isn't much of a drop-off. Except for those few years, UConn could always be beaten. Rarely, because of how good they are, but it could be done. Tennessee for a few years, Rutgers for a few, Notre Dame at times.

It seems to me that the teams that beat UConn are very structured - and don't, as CVS once called it, "blink". They also have some extraordinarily talented players.

I don't see a national slip in talent.

I will also add that I do agree that the run of mediocrity in the American and the lack of feeling of being pushed may very well contribute to the vulnerability. That said - they lost in overtime - on last second shots.

You sound well informed. Can you comment on why Rutgers is not attracting the strong recruits like the days of Pondexter, Prince, Carson, Ajavon, et al. Why is Rutgers no longer a destination for top talent?
Because Rutgers is not currently a top team. Simple as that. The really top recruits (Pondexter and Prince for example) are probably not going to be attracted to a team that doesn't have a track record of NCAA appearances and the feeling that they can go deep.

The horrible consequences of the "fab five" that wasn't pulled us out of that level. We have had talent - except for whatever happened in the disaster a year ago, our record has certainly been decent. But not the talent level of our 2000 era and 2007 vintage teams.

Part of my unwillingness - at many levels - to yell for a change of coach has been the fact that Rutgers is not suddenly going to magically get the top recruits and become a national power overnight.

Change might be needed, but to change without a good reason is not needed.
A good reason is if CVS doesn't make the NCAAs next year.
The improvement made this season , even with the way it ended, was a reason not to change .
Now Vivian must show she still has the edge and have her program start and finish the 2018-19 season on a roll, while proving NCAA worthy.

Unlike some, I don't root against Geno. I just marvel at the wealth of talent represented by the Four Finalists. UConn gets it's fair share of players, but there are plenty of good/great high school players to go around. What concerns me is how to get these young ladies to play for Rutgers. It seems like a decade ago when Carlene Mitchell was on the road bringing recruits to Rutgers? I don't see any change in the near future until Rutgers hires a younger coach that will attract these prospects. There has to be reason why these young prospects are not coming to Rutgers. Pat Hobbs' needs to get an answer and soon. Free parking is not enough for me to keep renewing my tickets.
I can understand that you might want someone other than Vivian, but the "We need a younger coach to get recruits" just doesn't fly. The ages of the Final Four coaches: Geno is 64, Muffet is 62, Vic Schafer is 57 and Jeff Walz is the kid at 46. Then there are Tara (64) Gary Blair (72) Kim M (55) and Dawn Staley (47). CVS is 70 so she is on the older end of the spectrum, but the coach's age doesn't seem to be the deciding factor on attracting kids to the program.

If you can’t make foul shots or the easy baskets you often lose. Simple analysis. McCowan’s missed foul shots—and key miss in the last minute...cost them a title. Plus a lot of close-in missed shots by a number of MS State players. More fundamentals and then there is no last-minute miracle.

Since 2000 (19 seasons):

19 Sweet Sixteens
18 Elite Eights
16 Final Fours
10 NCAA championships

Like him or not.
That is simply incredible.
Sheer continued domination, the likes of which we could never, ever even sniff at....and I'm not talking about making a deep run on occasion (although it's been awhile since the last occasion, lol). I'm referring to elite level consistency both in recruiting and with results for almost 2 decades. Hats off to that program's success, and much respect.

With that being said, I'm not a fan of Geno or UConn and I did a jig in living room when they lost. Went to bed in bliss.

Sheer continued domination, the likes of which we could never, ever even sniff at....and I'm not talking about making a deep run on occasion (although it's been awhile since the last occasion, lol). I'm referring to elite level consistency both in recruiting and with results for almost 2 decades. Hats off to that program's success, and much respect.

With that being said, I'm not a fan of Geno or UConn and I did a jig in living room when they lost. Went to bed in bliss.
LOLOL, and I thought I was the only loon that did a little dance.

Reactions: Turtle31
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT