ADVERTISEMENT

Fire Schiano, hire Rhule

RUforlife

All Conference
Oct 27, 2002
Rutgers needs to make the ultimate investment in the program and eat the buyout on Schiano’s contract and pay whatever it takes to bring in Rhule. Rhule and his wife love this area, he is absolutely beloved by the HS coaches in NJ and PA, and his staff will be awesome. Really a no brainer.

Rutgers needs to make the ultimate investment in the program and eat the buyout on Sciano’s contract and pay whatever it takes to bring in Rhule. Rhule and his wife love this area, he is absolutely beloved by the HS coaches in NJ and PA, and his staff will be awesome. Really a no brainer.

A little late for that, don't you think?

Exactly, but the majority of this fanbase is consistently about 2-3 years too late in assessing the absolute obvious.

Reactions: Rokodesh
Manny Diaz couldn’t win at Miami. What makes anyone think he can win at Rutgers? Pass

The Manny Diaz mentions are because he accepted a job, did the presser, then backed out. He left temple for Miami though, not Nebraska for Rutgers! (Not to mention we’re not in the market for a coach)

There are 20 million reasons Greg will be here next season, and 16 million why he'll be here in 2024.
This thread isn’t realistic and GS will see year 4 but just to correct these numbers.

It’s actually 76.875% of his remaining base salary. It’s not fully guaranteed. I was mistaken in my thinking too. I thought it was fully guaranteed but the last 2 years were 50% guaranteed but that's wrong also. I read about so many contracts of so many coaches I must be confusing them lol.

From an nj.com article

Schiano will make $4 million a year. If he is fired without cause at any point in the contract, he will be paid 76.875% of his remaining salary; the payout from that point will not exceed $24.6 million

Last edited:
The Manny Diaz mentions are because he accepted a job, did the presser, then backed out. He left temple for Miami though, not Nebraska for Rutgers! (Not to mention we’re not in the market for a coach)
Miami paid 4M to Temple iirc. We’re not paying anything to anybody.

This thread isn’t realistic and GS will see year 4 but just to correct these numbers.

It’s actually 76.875% of his remaining base salary. It’s not fully guaranteed

From an nj.com article

Schiano will make $4 million a year. If he is fired without cause at any point in the contract, he will be paid 76.875% of his remaining salary; the payout from that point will not exceed $24.6 million
So $15mm now, $12mm after next season and so on. Even I worry what's going to happen when some of these guys do the math and realize Coach isn't going anywhere for at least 3 more years.

So $15mm now, $12mm after next season and so on. Even I worry what's going to happen when some of these guys do the math and realize Coach isn't going anywhere for at least 3 more years.
I wouldn't say that. He'll see year 4. I've said year 4 is crucial and have given the precedents here multiple times. If it's 6 wins regular season, he's fine but if less than that it's dicey. Only 3 coaches (Cutcliffe, Wilson, Frost) I could find that survived to year 5 after 4 straight below .500 regular seasons. In year 5, there isn't one that made it to year 6 after 5 straight below .500 seasons. Cutcliffe and Wilson got to .500 in year 5 and Frost was fired. Babers might have been fired after this year if he didn't get his 6. It would've been his 4 straight below .500 regular season and he was shaky coming into the year.

4 straight below .500 regular seasons isn't a good place to be as a coach, 5 straight and your for sure out from all I've seen the landscape.

IMO, we'd pay the 12M or the 9M the year after if the results aren't there.

Reactions: Rutgers8086
Miami paid 4M to Temple iirc. We’re not paying anything to anybody.
Diaz was further along than Rhule. He was actually picking a staff. The ink is barely dry. But, that is okay, we can keep Schiano, after all, in year 3 of his rebuild we did beat 4 outstanding teams, let’s keep going down the same path, only good things ahead.

Reactions: SHUSource
Diaz was further along than Rhule. He was actually picking a staff. The ink is barely dry. But, that is okay, we can keep Schiano, after all, in year 3 of his rebuild we did beat 4 outstanding teams, let’s keep going down the same path, only good things ahead.
Not the point of whether GS works or not. The contract is signed and I’m sure there is some big number for Rhule to leave. Even GS’ contract had a 8M dollar figure if he left after year 1 (and I’d guess before it as well) and it decreased over time.

Rutgers needs to make the ultimate investment in the program and eat the buyout on Schiano’s contract and pay whatever it takes to bring in Rhule. Rhule and his wife love this area, he is absolutely beloved by the HS coaches in NJ and PA, and his staff will be awesome. Really a no brainer.
Too late.

Nebraska is light years ahead of us in terms fan support and finances. Our fans need money selling tickets to opposing fans. Where are they going to get the money to donate?

Reactions: scottsdaleal
Diaz will only leave PSU if the right opportunity comes along. Rutgers is not that opportunity.

There are 20 million reasons Greg will be here next season, and 16 million why he'll be here in 2024.
I don’t understand why Schiano got long term contract and so much $$$-? I don’t get it.was it the alums?

He is the worst coach ever….

It’s actually 76.875% of his remaining base salary. It’s not fully guaranteed. I was mistaken in my thinking too. I thought it was fully guaranteed but the last 2 years were 50% guaranteed but that's wrong also. I read about so many contracts of so many coaches I must be confusing them lol.

From an nj.com article

cause is easy, he sucks

I don’t understand why Schiano got long term contract and so much $$$-? I don’t get it.was it the alums?

He is the worst coach ever….
You can quest the term but he is the lowest paid coach in the B1G. This is why we can have nice things. Fans think 4mm is so much $$$$$.

Reactions: czxqa
ADVERTISEMENT