ADVERTISEMENT

First car you bought with your own money

'74 Chevy BelAir. It was the former family car, but my dad made me pay him for it. No free rides in our fam.

'64 Mustang. Black with white interior. 4 speed manual transmission. Bought it from a guy in the service being sent to in Germany. Paid $800 in '68.

Reactions: zappaa
A new 1980 Pontiac Grand Lemans from Queen City Pontiac in Greenbrook. The salesman told me that when I brought my new car in for the 30 day oil change to bring a list of all the things that needed to be fixed. That was the quality expectation back in those days.

Reactions: 17Q66
A new 1980 Pontiac Grand Lemans from Queen City Pontiac in Greenbrook. The salesman told me that when I brought my new car in for the 30 day oil change to bring a list of all the things that needed to be fixed. That was the quality expectation back in those days.

The notion of the 30 day oil change says a great deal, in itself.

Reactions: 17Q66 and dconifer
‘67 Chevy Impala, $700 I think. In those days you could tell just about any car on the road by it’s headlights and front gril or taillights. I can’t tell any post ‘70s cars apart anymore.

1973 VW bug. Bought it for 600 and sold it for 600 6 months later. The only car, out of about 20 I have owned, that I didn't lose money on.

1971 VW Squareback, 4-speed manual, bought for $800 from a VW mechanic in Laurel, MD (I was a high school senior, bought it in April 1981). Looked exactly like this except a little more rust:

1973-Volkswagen-Squareback-Import%20Classics--Car-100968814-fe4dfd19f5102b2fc0462fffcbca1b08.jpg

‘68 Ford Fairlane 500. Had 109,000 miles on it when I bought it used in 1976. Never lost a street race in that car.

I paid 4 grand for my spider 124.

By the way, by far the worst car I’ve ever owned

Ate gas
Ate oil
Leaked
stalled
Reved

1979 Two Toned Yellow Ford Fiesta

Top That
(Second car was a 1984 Chrysler Lasar Turbo, I had my Navy money by then)

1974 AMC Gremlin. Bought at a used car dealer on New Brunswick Ave in Fords circa 1982. "Straight six" V6 engine. She looked a lot like this

1974_AMC_Gremlin_X_Sienna_Orange_with_black_stripes_AMO_2015_meet_2of2.jpg

1973 Opel GT- light blue. 5 speed stick and bought it for $500 before I got my license. Sat in my Dad's garage for 6 months waiting for me to get my DL. I used to go out there daily to start her up and play around with it. My best friend somehow found one as well in yellow.
I nver drove a stick shift and no one ever taught me so I would practice sitting in my dad's garage engine off and going through gears.
First day- never was I so afraid of stopping and starting on a hill. I would slow down enough so that I never came to a full stop. What a bunch of fun. The 2nd car I got when in 11th grade was a 1972 Olds 98 with a big ole 455 in it. We could easily fit 8 kids and cram 12 into that car. also great for drivings. 3 could get into the trunk with no problem.

Brand new '67 Pontiac Catalina convertible . White with black interior and an 8 track. I was still waiting to graduate from college and my father absolutely ripped me new one when he found out. He was certainly right when I got my first paycheck and realized I was working to support my car!

1976 Plymouth Scamp. $750. It made an AMC Pacer look stylish.

It came from the factory with a slant 6 in it but previous owner put a 318 in it. I won a lot of beer drag racing with it.

Took me 3 years to pay for it.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
1991 Mustang GT, hardtop, 5-speed, at Fette Ford in Clifton. It was a demo with about 2,000 miles on it, so I got a pretty good deal, which at 20, was important!

Really fun car, but I was too young to enjoy it responsibly! The only thing that definitely was not fun was getting my new insurance premium in the mail on my 21st birthday: $8,067 a year. I'll never forget that number! I probably should've consulted my insurance company before making that purchase, but alas...

1976 Plymouth Scamp. $750. It made an AMC Pacer look stylish.

It came from the factory with a slant 6 in it but previous owner put a 318 in it. I won a lot of beer drag racing with it.

Took me 3 years to pay for it.

That car is retro stylish now. You should have kept it.

New 1983 Audi 4000 from Herman Miller in Parsippany which is now Paul Miller.. Good car except that the oil pump kept having to be replaced. Audi covered the first two under warranty. After the 3rd pump went, I traded it in for a new Ford Taurus from Fette Ford in Clifton.

Reactions: 17Q66
1963 Chevy Bel Air Didn't need a key to start it. One time I was pulled over making an illegal left off of RT 27 (The road heading to the Court Tavern) When the cop came to my window he asked how many people were in the car ... it was 12 .. He made them all get out and walk to the bar ... Rutgers1 he actually
asked " do you have anyone riding in the trunk" all these years later we still get a kick out of this story

Reactions: dconifer
1988 red Nissan sentra. Year was 1993. I just turned 17. I contributed $3,400 and my Dad put in $700. My Dad was great!

When I was 17 I bought my brother's 1969 Ford Falcon, that he had given up on after smashing up the rear end, for a dollar. Did the body work myself and got an Earl Shibe paint job for $69.99, plus $10 for the door jams. Kept that car until I got my first job after college. Sold it then for $300.

It had a 302 V8 which had a lot of power for the small car.
Through the years I think I replaced or rebuilt just about every mechanical part, but it was easy to work on. Not like today's cars.

ADVERTISEMENT