ADVERTISEMENT

First home game in 4 years

The RUT

All American
Gold Member
Oct 31, 2011
Starting a thread on this because I think it’ll provide a bit of perspective from a die hard fan that hasn’t seen a game at RU in quite a while.

This is simply a game day operations post and has absolutely nothing to do with the on the field play. Please don’t bring cancerous posts into this thread, save that for the other threads.

Fan base: we’ve done better. Players needed to give us a bit more, but felt like it just wasn’t all there tonight. Night game vs Washington had better energy.

Lighting system: the potential is there. Was surprised how bright they lit up the field given how few lights there were.

@RU game day operations, the lights should have been cut out at half time to provide an intro for the team on the second half. Work in progress I guess?

Band: wow. I’m impressed. Still has some room to grow and improve, but this has been such a big leap since the last time I was at RU. Go watch the band from Rutgers/Louisville 2006 and look at the difference. Seriously impressive, hats off to everyone involved in the growth, but don’t stop!

Chants/fan engagement: STOP FORCING RU CHANTS. I’m sorry but it’s A. Pathetic and B. The chants are crap. These things need to be organic otherwise it just sucks. I get what you’re trying to do, but it sucks. Get with the Riot Squad and find ways to get them to organically start chants/lead the student section. It’s super cringe what you guys are trying to do right now.

Audio/music: you guys need to run rehearsal or something. You have a guy talking on a microphone and then start playing music over the dude. You don’t need to play music during every down period, lean on the band a little bit more.

Also the band, fireworks, train horn “are you ready” is so lame. Don’t ever do that again.

Chants/fan engagement: STOP FORCING RU CHANTS. I’m sorry but it’s A. Pathetic and B. The chants are crap. These things need to be organic otherwise it just sucks. I get what you’re trying to do, but it sucks. Get with the Riot Squad and find ways to get them to organically start chants/lead the student section. It’s super cringe what you guys are trying to do right now.
100%.
Nothing I could disagree with in your post, but this one point I couldn’t agree with more. I think this is related to music. If there’s constant noise then how can an RU chant grow organically?
Also, bruh, T shirt toss, what can I say other than it was too frequently.

Reactions: The RUT
Maybe it’s just me during my years in the late 2000’s, but we used to yell during all downs. Not just third down. Could just be the section where I’m sitting, but I miss that and honestly believe it impacts the game tremendously.

Maybe it’s just me during my years in the late 2000’s, but we used to yell during all downs. Not just third down. Could just be the section where I’m sitting, but I miss that and honestly believe it impacts the game tremendously.
Well I was asked to sit down during the entrance of the team, so there’s that.

That’s another story though

• Wow
Reactions: MrsScrew
I don’t think our fans have the attention span to do that. Have to watch the game vs your phone. Different generation and we haven’t been good enough to keep their attention on the field during games.

Reactions: rubigtimenow

Audio/music: you guys need to run rehearsal or something. You have a guy talking on a microphone and then start playing music over the dude. You don’t need to play music during every down period, lean on the band a little bit more.

Also the band, fireworks, train horn “are you ready” is so lame. Don’t ever do that again.
100%

We are so cringe I hate it

Starting a thread on this because I think it’ll provide a bit of perspective from a die hard fan that hasn’t seen a game at RU in quite a while.

This is simply a game day operations post and has absolutely nothing to do with the on the field play. Please don’t bring cancerous posts into this thread, save that for the other threads.

Fan base: we’ve done better. Players needed to give us a bit more, but felt like it just wasn’t all there tonight. Night game vs Washington had better energy.

Lighting system: the potential is there. Was surprised how bright they lit up the field given how few lights there were.

@RU game day operations, the lights should have been cut out at half time to provide an intro for the team on the second half. Work in progress I guess?

Band: wow. I’m impressed. Still has some room to grow and improve, but this has been such a big leap since the last time I was at RU. Go watch the band from Rutgers/Louisville 2006 and look at the difference. Seriously impressive, hats off to everyone involved in the growth, but don’t stop!

1,000,000% agree
The RAC doesn’t need piped music crap or how to do RRRRR-UUUUU to make it the toughest hardwood to play on

I don’t have an issue with the train horn because the New Brunswick train station has been a focal point for over 100 years and is so close to the main campus.

I do have an issue with the train horn because it's a standard part of the sound package sold to every professional venue and most college venues out there.

It’s just sad because there is a lot of potential.

I had a Iowa dad and son sitting in front of me and they were great people. RU was the last B1G stadium they needed to visit so they flew out for the game.

They had mentioned “no offense, but it’s really impressive how many fans you have here given the state of the program”

I told them I agreed and explained we have a lot of people that truly do care and truly want to see RU be great.

With that said, RU needs to stop trying to manufacture this stuff. I really can’t say enough good things about the Rutgers band, I don’t know why they only get attention before the game and at half time.

A simple “Ladies and Gentlemen, the Ruuttttgers Marching Band….”

Followed by the band jamming to whatever song they want would be excellent.

It did until the product on the floor got better.
That’s true, but it was never like this. I would describe this as “commercialized” I guess is the word.

I don’t want to be a big company environment, I want us to be a mom and pop shop environment. With our own culture and our own thing.

I do think they should do a light show at halftime before the team comes out though.

Find out what the minimum amount of lights are needed for safety reasons.

Make the stadium go as dark as possible and then boom. Play a song with a light show and have the team run out to it.

It’s just sad because there is a lot of potential.

I had a Iowa dad and son sitting in front of me and they were great people. RU was the last B1G stadium they needed to visit so they flew out for the game.

They had mentioned “no offense, but it’s really impressive how many fans you have here given the state of the program

I told them I agreed and explained we have a lot of people that truly do care and truly want to see RU be great.

With that said, RU needs to stop trying to manufacture this stuff. I really can’t say enough good things about the Rutgers band, I don’t know why they only get attention before the game and at half time.

A simple “Ladies and Gentlemen, the Ruuttttgers Marching Band….”

Followed by the band jamming to whatever song they want would be excellent.
When Hayden Fry arrived he basically said the same thing about Iowa fans.

“It’s amazing, they even cheer for first downs!” was one of his lines.

That’s true, but it was never like this. I would describe this as “commercialized” I guess is the word.

I don’t want to be a big company environment, I want us to be a mom and pop shop environment. With our own culture and our own thing.

I do think they should do a light show at halftime before the team comes out though.

Find out what the minimum amount of lights are needed for safety reasons.

Make the stadium go as dark as possible and then boom. Play a song with a light show and have the team run out to it.
If the timing was a little different it might have (and still could) happened at the RAC too.

Hopefully it’s left alone.

When Hayden Fry arrived he basically said the same thing about Iowa fans.

“It’s amazing, they even cheer for first downs!” was one of his lines.
Oh they also told me we are way better than Maryland.

If the timing was a little different it might have (and still could) happened at the RAC too.

Hopefully it’s left alone.
I think the success there has kept it away for at least 10-15 years.

If the team continued to struggle, it would be an NBA environment by now.

If they play that uh huh, heeeyyy, uhh, huh with the female voices one more time, I'm going to climb the scoreboard and unplug the speakers.

And we got one micro-sample of the Knight Pulse, which is a great pump up song, but multiple Heeyy, uhh, huhhs.

Reactions: ScarletDave
I don’t know who’s in charge of all this stuff, but it’s one of two options:

1. Old guy trying to be “hip” and has a bunch of new tech toys at his fingertips and he can’t control himself so he hits all the buttons

2. Younger dude that’s trying wayyyyyy too hard

This is what happens when you continually hire Penn State retreads for the position of being in charge of these aspects of fan experience. You get their same hokey nonsense.

You also get ass-hurt over one of the truly organic Rutgers student chants and are more than happy to attempt to drown it out.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
Well, that’s not special then, is it? I gave way too much benefit of doubt.

Yeah, it's sad that we get this package every year and utilize that instead of working with the band and other sources for sound and entertainment.

1. Old guy trying to be “hip” and has a bunch of new tech toys at his fingertips and he can’t control himself so he hits all the buttons

Younger psu guy who wants us to to become the annex to crappy valley. You should have heard the lions roar last year, now that was awesome.

1. Cramer with his sound effects

That’s true, but it was never like this. I would describe this as “commercialized” I guess is the word. I don’t want to be a big company environment, I want us to be a mom and pop shop environment. With our own culture and our own thing. I do think they should do a light show at halftime before the team comes out though. Find out what the minimum amount of lights are needed for safety reasons.

Agree with all you have written. I would rather see Rutgers have creative things particular to Rutgers and New Jerseyans than mimicking things from other programs.

For example (and I have suggested this before), find things that reflect Rutgers and reflect the knights motif. Below is a clip from the 1981 movie "Excalibur" At the start of a night game, lower the lights and play the part that runs 0:29 to 1:46 on the scoreboard. You can run the whole movie clip or intersperse the Rutgers knight and horse throughout the clip. Save it for special occasions like last night's game presented.

When the clip comes to an end, fire the cannon, light up the stadium, run the knight and horse out onto the field followed by the team. THAT is something cool and unique to the Scarlet Knights of Rutgers and not to be imitated by other schools.

Last edited:
Reactions: The RUT and Jimpeg
Also, how wondrous and frightening would it be to have 50,000 Rutgers fan actually learn how to sing "O Fortuna (Carmina Burana) from the stands when the game is about to begin.

That would definitely find its way onto a list of "College Football's Coolest Traditions."

But I'm not counting on it.

Younger psu guy who wants us to to become the annex to crappy valley. You should have heard the lions roar last year, now that was awesome.
Yeah he should be fired immediately.

Fvck Penn state.

There’s not a single former Penn Stater that should be anywhere near this program unless his name is Greg Schiano.

Pick one or two
Fireworks, cannon, train horn, music, announcer, band…it is sensory overload

I hate third down air guitar…before that you would use you hands to clap or put the to you mouth and yell until you lost your voice.

I would love a simple chop chop chop chop chop chop chop chop chat on any down after a good play

Agree with all you have written. I would rather see Rutgers have creative things particular to Rutgers and New Jerseyans than mimicking things from other programs.

For example (and I have suggested this before), find things that reflect Rutgers and reflect the knights motif. Below is a clip from the 1981 movie "Excalibur" At the start of a night game, lower the lights and play the part that runs 0:29 to 1:46 on the scoreboard. You can run the whole movie clip or intersperse the Rutgers knight and horse throughout the clip. Save it for special occasions like last night's game presented.

When the clip comes to an end, fire the cannon, light up the stadium, run the knight and horse out onto the field followed by the team. THAT is something cool and unique to the Scarlet Knights of Rutgers and not to be imitated by other schools.

this should be our opening with the horse running across campus...

Actually the knight coming out on the horse was super weak too.

It was crazy slow, like the dude forgot to have a sense of urgency running out of the tunnel. Then he fumbled getting the sword out and was kind of just chilling there like oh I guess I’m done now.

Horse should be sprinting out of the tunnel towards mid field. Knight should have an axe in hand and plant the axe in mid field. Maybe have a stump at mid field or something like that.

There are so many cool things this program can do to call their own. It’s just super generic right now and it sucks.

Reactions: RUScrew85
Actually the knight coming out on the horse was super weak too.

It was crazy slow, like the dude forgot to have a sense of urgency running out of the tunnel. Then he fumbled getting the sword out and was kind of just chilling there like oh I guess I’m done now.

Horse should be sprinting out of the tunnel towards mid field. Knight should have an axe in hand and plant the axe in mid field. Maybe have a stump at mid field or something like that.

There are so many cool things this program can do to call their own. It’s just super generic right now and it sucks.

Flaming Sword!!!

Nice. Great post. That would be awesome.

I'm in 121. Near the end of the first half? Rutgers Korsak pinned down Iowa at like the 6. tried to get everyone to stand and yell. HA! NOTHING! Just a few of us.
Later when they were down opposite end on a 3rd and goal everyone decided to stand and yell. Like it mattered our end. Just stupid. Our sections and end has been filled with complete pedestrian morons.

• Haha
Reactions: RUScrew85
Yeah he should be fired immediately.

Fvck Penn state.

There’s not a single former Penn Stater that should be anywhere near this program unless his name is Greg Schiano.
I distinctly recall Pitt cheerleaders and fans shouting “Penn State sucks!” in the middle of their fight song in our stadium. Probably 20 or so years ago when they were more rivals.

Everything.

Fan base
Environment
Etc

They said it was like 70% Iowa fans at Maryland and they blew them out.
I was at that MD Iowa game last year (and at yesterdays game) and of course there were more MD fans in a decently packed stadium as the early season home team was undefeated hosting a top 10 team. Just looking at the lower Level which was fully packed, it was 75%+ MD fans but even 10-25% of the fans being for the away team is a LOT more than were at the game yesterday.
However, MD absolutely imploded in the second quarter while Iowa capitalized on everything and scored 31 in that quarter alone.
Needless to say, MD fans left in droves before the start of the 3rd quarter.

ADVERTISEMENT