ADVERTISEMENT

Football First official 2023 Rutgers Football spring roster

Richie, Josh Youngblood entered the portal in December, and is not on the roster. Any chance he returns? Is the linked "article" off base for listing Youngblood as potential starter at WR?

And any ideas for potential punt and kick returners?

When searching for Youngblood in the ristr, came across Gunnison Bloodgood, who transferred from Morehead State. Forgot he was a kick returner.

Richie, Josh Youngblood entered the portal in December, and is not on the roster. Any chance he returns? Is the linked "article" off base for listing Youngblood as potential starter at WR?

And any ideas for potential punt and kick returners?

No he isn’t returning.

The linked article isn’t accurate in terms of the depth chart at multiple spots. As for kick and punt returner? You have some options, like Salaam, Rochelle, Long, Patterson and maybe Bloodgood.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Looks like again a solid defensive roster.

With all those Olineman, we have to have at least an average or slightly below average P5 Oline with all that competition. Hopefully they surprise in a positive way.

Our RB room is solid.

WR room on the other hand... We need someone to step up big this year. Idk if anyone has proven to be even borderline NFL practice squad quality yet.

Are we hoping for more offensive transfers?

Reactions: patk89
Looks like again a solid defensive roster.

With all those Olineman, we have to have at least an average or slightly below average P5 Oline with all that competition. Hopefully they surprise in a positive way.

Our RB room is solid.

WR room on the other hand... We need someone to step up big this year. Idk if anyone has proven to be even borderline NFL practice squad quality yet.

Are we hoping for more offensive transfers?
One visiting later this week. WR roster concerning. Top receivers from last year:

9QjZq1A.png

Only one returning with substantial production is Langan. Total production returning is 48 receptions for 555 yards. That's pretty thin.

Maybe there will be new transfer WR opportunities after Spring ball completes everywhere.. you know.. players not "feeling the love" from their coaches. Thing is.. it would be a miracle to attract offensive players given our recent history throwing the rock.

Yes sir likely to Buffalo, reuniting with Cole Snyder I believe. Super nice kid and smart.
Yeah, it's RI and FCS, but don't recall seeing that many 50-50 balls going to RU receivers last season. I saw Cole Snyder retweeted Paul's tweet.

Still wondering why Youngblood left or was given the push, considering the razor thin WR depth.

One visiting later this week. WR roster concerning. Top receivers from last year:

9QjZq1A.png

Only one returning with substantial production is Langan. Total production returning is 48 receptions for 555 yards. That's pretty thin.
Yeah that's pretty bad. WR is a huge concern. Rochelle could be a factor and maybe a freshman will step up. But honestly it's the worse our WR room has been in quite a while and that's saying something.

Yeah that's pretty bad. WR is a huge concern. Rochelle could be a factor and maybe a freshman will step up. But honestly it's the worse our WR room has been in quite a while and that's saying something.

Rochelle WILL be a factor, but your concerns are still valid.

9QjZq1A.png

Been saying it for 4 months now.
We lost 1000 yards with 3 WR starters gone from last year.
Added one second team AA WR from FCS Western Illinois
Need another Transfer …and of course more TE passing routes in’23.

Been saying it for 4 months now.
We lost 1000 yards with 3 WR starters gone from last year.
Added one second team AA WR from FCS Western Illinois
Need another Transfer …and of course more TE passing routes in’23.
Don't forget the transfer WR/returner from Morehead State. Bloodgood.

Let me get this straight:

1. We hired an OC with one of the heaviest Run/Pass imbalances last year
  2. We have minimal experienced or productive WR options on the roster
  3. Returning starting QB who some (many?) think will be challenged by a 2 star true freshman
  4. HC who historically has preferred to limit scoring opportunities in risky situations.
We are going to score points this year, right?
At some point we have to fall backwards into an offense.

Let me get this straight:

1. We hired an OC with one of the heaviest Run/Pass imbalances last year
  2. We have minimal experienced or productive WR options on the roster
  3. Returning starting QB who some (many?) think will be challenged by a 2 star true freshman
  4. HC who historically has preferred to limit scoring opportunities in risky situations.
We are going to score points this year, right?
At some point we have to fall backwards into an offense.
With our luck the offense will surprise us and the defense will develop issues.

• Haha
Reactions: NickRU714
Yeah, it's RI and FCS, but don't recall seeing that many 50-50 balls going to RU receivers last season. I saw Cole Snyder retweeted Paul's tweet.

Still wondering why Youngblood left or was given the push, considering the razor thin WR depth.
I thought Ryan did a great job on 50/50 balls and for a smaller guy Cruickshank did a solid job catching most passes in his radius. Jones had some positive moments as well.

Woods was another kid I liked and I wish he would have stuck it out because he could have slotted into the rotation by now. Instead he dropped to lesser competition and had a chance to shine. I can’t blame kids for that either. Selfishly we want them all here fighting it out.

I thought Ryan did a great job on 50/50 balls and for a smaller guy Cruickshank did a solid job catching most passes in his radius. Jones had some positive moments as well.

Woods was another kid I liked and I wish he would have stuck it out because he could have slotted into the rotation by now. Instead he dropped to lesser competition and had a chance to shine. I can’t blame kids for that either. Selfishly we want them all here fighting it out.
Sadly those three guys are gone. They did a good job. Ryan in particular. Jones was really strong on yards after catch. Small sample sizes with our pass blocking. Hopefully we see an improvement this year.

Sadly those three guys are gone. They did a good job. Ryan in particular. Jones was really strong on yards after catch. Small sample sizes with our pass blocking. Hopefully we see an improvement this year.
As always love your enthusiasm.
The only thing is where we do wee see the YAC improvement this coming season? All the WR playmakers are now gone. Maybe Rochelle or Chris Long? Those are young players so that might be a lot to ask for.
See a running heavy offense this season. Hello Samuel Brown and Kyle M.

Is Thomas Ammankwa staying at DB or is a move possible to WR…. still have some unknowns who are underclassmen but we can use a transfer or two.

As always love your enthusiasm.
The only thing is where we do wee see the YAC improvement this coming season? All the WR playmakers are now gone. Maybe Rochelle or Chris Long? Those are young players so that might be a lot to ask for.
See a running heavy offense this season. Hello Samuel Brown and Kyle M.
Chris Long seems to have really great hands. It's his speed that is suspect. I remember him making a really nice catch last year with no one in front of him and the db caught up with him pretty easily. Can't remember which game it was.

Chris Long seems to have really great hands. It's his speed that is suspect. I remember him making a really nice catch last year with no one in front of him and the db caught up with him pretty easily. Can't remember which game it was.
This
We need to get separation and I am not sure who in the WR group can do it.
Perhaps Rochelle and the transfer from Western Illinois ???

Time for Washington to step up. Also Ofurie the freshman WR looks like an NFL player physically already; based on Instagram posts. Hope he plays like one.

Mo Toure and Moses look huge. Expecting big things from them.

This
We need to get separation and I am not sure who in the WR group can do it.
Perhaps Rochelle and the transfer from Western Illinois ???
Speed has been a major issue on offense. Besides Pacheco and Bo Melton, the numbers I see on Rutgers pro days are simply not p5 level. I mean I see LBs from other Big Ten schools with faster 40 times than our starting receivers.

Rochelle seems to have very good speed and I know the freshman Braithewaite is supposed to be very fast. We'll see. I don't understand how every other Big Ten teams seems to have at least one NFL level receiver and we haven't had one for years besides maybe Bo.

Cam’ron Stewart at TE should be interesting once he learns the position. He was a very quick high school DE at about 220 lbs (dominated the Big33 high school all-star game) but has added a lot of weight since then (and 6’5” is a nice target). I’ll predict the TE position as a surprise strength in 2023…which would really help the QB’s and the defense because of fewer short drives on O.

Last edited:
Reactions: RU#1fan
ADVERTISEMENT