ADVERTISEMENT

Football First scrimmage of training camp is in the books

about what I’d expect from the first scrimmage. Some good, some bad, some ok. All I wanna see is some progress, so next scrimmage a little more good and a little less bad.

Reactions: beaced
Didn’t all practices early on in training camp used to be open to the public back in the graber and anderson days ?
I also remember a lot more media coverage in training camp.
I remember they used to have at least one for season ticket holders. Under Flood too.

We should return to those open practices to generate interest fan interest and help build our fan base. The thinking we need to hide our strategy is really laughable.
Like the other programs really care.

We should return to those open practices to generate interest fan interest and help build our fan base. The thinking we need to hide our strategy is really laughable.
I'm guessing anybody who would go is already an interested fan. Not sure it would generate interest in anybody that wasn't because if they weren't fans, why would they go?

Agree. I don’t think any state secrets are being revealed in those settings. The last one I went to was under Flood at the smaller practice field. It was a great atmosphere and I remember being pumped for our first year in the Big 10. Team looked good that day - Robert Martin in particular.

Reactions: Knightmoves
What strategy? We run left, run right and Langham in the middle from wild cat. Who does not know this by now?

I'd like to pint out this partial comment by Schiano as a lesson to us all...

"“I do have to watch the film to see it exactly.."

Even the head coach is not sure what it is that he saw LIVE during a scrimmage. While we often have a better vantage point in the stands or on TV watching replays or using a DVR to watch it slowly... I think the same thing can apply to us all.

We often cannot see the whole field. Camera angles can be misleading in replays.. on TV or the scoreboard. And here's the main point, we do not know what the play call was, who had what assignment, who was supposed to read a certain defense a certain way... and our defense has similar issues when we try to blame players.

Two examples:

I htink it was either Navy or Pitt.. driving late to try to win.. some QB our ours had nice completions over the middle during the drive. Then, it looks like he throws it exactly at the LB. But this was one case where we heard from coach and QB... the way the pattern worked.. the QB watched the LB.. if he turns his hips upfield to cover deep.. covering a reciever who was just clearing out the zone for the WR doing the crossing route.. then the QB would lead the crossing route WR. It worked beautifully at least 2 times.

But, ahh.. the LB had seen that play before and got burned. This time he began to turn his hips upfield.. fooling our QB (probably not even on purpose).. then changes his mind and sits down in the zone... ball goes right to him becaus eon the other plays, QB is throwing toward his bach as he runs upfield.

Second example is less clear. But DE George Johnson was a physical freak and stud. But so many times we'd see him beating the OT but seemingly ignoring what was actually happenign as a ball carrier ran right by him. I suspect the thing was, knowing Schiano's D style.. that he cannot play read/react... he had an assignment to execute. Everyone must just do their assignments... and, no doubt, it is the LBs job to read keys, fill holes and make tackles. Even though this future NFL DL was RIGHT THERE and looked like he could make the play easily... he was not looking to do that because he was executing his assignment.

So, just saying... question what your eyes tell you.. at least some of the time.

Even the head coach is not sure what it is that he saw LIVE during a scrimmage. While we often have a better vantage point in the stands or on TV watching replays or using a DVR to watch it slowly... I think the same thing can apply to us all.

We often cannot see the whole field. Camera angles can be misleading in replays.. on TV or the scoreboard. And here's the main point, we do not know what the play call was, who had what assignment, who was supposed to read a certain defense a certain way... and our defense has similar issues when we try to blame players.

Two examples:

I htink it was either Navy or Pitt.. driving late to try to win.. some QB our ours had nice completions over the middle during the drive. Then, it looks like he throws it exactly at the LB. But this was one case where we heard from coach and QB... the way the pattern worked.. the QB watched the LB.. if he turns his hips upfield to cover deep.. covering a reciever who was just clearing out the zone for the WR doing the crossing route.. then the QB would lead the crossing route WR. It worked beautifully at least 2 times.

But, ahh.. the LB had seen that play before and got burned. This time he began to turn his hips upfield.. fooling our QB (probably not even on purpose).. then changes his mind and sits down in the zone... ball goes right to him becaus eon the other plays, QB is throwing toward his bach as he runs upfield.

Second example is less clear. But DE George Johnson was a physical freak and stud. But so many times we'd see him beating the OT but seemingly ignoring what was actually happenign as a ball carrier ran right by him. I suspect the thing was, knowing Schiano's D style.. that he cannot play read/react... he had an assignment to execute. Everyone must just do their assignments... and, no doubt, it is the LBs job to read keys, fill holes and make tackles. Even though this future NFL DL was RIGHT THERE and looked like he could make the play easily... he was not looking to do that because he was executing his assignment.

So, just saying... question what your eyes tell you.. at least some of the time.
I was there today and watched from the sidelines and the stands.
Don't remember what I saw from the sidelines, and a lot of time was spent talking to people around us in the stands.
It was a scrimmage and things were moving fast, and it was hard to keep track who was making plays. Could not draw any conclusions from what we saw. From the linked report and the NJ.com report, apparently, details were not to be revealed.

I was there today and watched from the sidelines and the stands.
Don't remember what I saw from the sidelines, and a lot of time was spent talking to people around us in the stands.
It was a scrimmage and things were moving fast, and it was hard to keep track who was making plays. Could not draw any conclusions from what we saw. From the linked report and the NJ.com report, apparently, details were not to be revealed.
Tell us about the double reverse flea flicker or the quadruple lateral fake punt pass.

FBI has a plant in the stands and will be raiding Schiano’s house to see if he has any top secret plans .

Graber and Anderson were before the internet. Fans could watch and whine or applaud whatever they choose and nothing was in writing for anyone to see.

Hafley is being a lot more open than Cold War Schiano is. They actually have OC/DC interviews, reports on players and videos of actual practice. Not just stretching, but actual drills and throwing/catching. Our media can't even say if a player looks good for fear of retribution from the Spy Hunter. Hell, we don't even know who's practicing or not, except those out for the season.

Reactions: Local Shill
He’s making sure Wagner doesn’t get wind of our trick play in case the game comes down to that. Or maybe other teams will use NASA technology to discern the proper Gatorade temperature for optimal performance. This brilliance is what sets him apart from other coaches who don’t make $4M.

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
Hafley is being a lot more open than Cold War Schiano is. They actually have OC/DC interviews, reports on players and videos of actual practice. Not just stretching, but actual drills and throwing/catching. Our media can't even say if a player looks good for fear of retribution from the Spy Hunter. Hell, we don't even know who's practicing or not, except those out for the season.
Based on this, however, maybe it is not as open as we think? There have been videos of drills, routes, etc of Rutgers practices. So maybe all this hand wringing about Greg and secrecy goes on at other programs too?

"New offensive coordinator John McNulty certainly could have brought those changes to the Eagles, we have just not seen it yet. Head coach Jeff Hafley is notoriously very secretive about what happens at practice, and the media has yet had a chance to see what the offense and defense will look like in real live snap situations."

BC may have more issues on the OL.

Shout out to @NickRU714 for the McNulty reference! "McNulty has promised to keep the pro-style offense, but with some added wrinkles. But what will those be?"

Back when Army was winning 1-3 games a year I would go to the Spring game and it looked like Ohio St was playing Alabama. Intersquad scrimmages can be fun to watch but they dont tell you much about the team you'll have in the fall imo.

Reactions: Knight Shift

I go along with that for the most part with one exception - Monken
When asked what happened on a certain play after a game Monken never says "I have to see the tape."
He'll explain how a tackle used his hands wrong or a defender took the wrong angle
He sees it aallll and its kinda mysterious

We're still working out the kinks on this one.

Such a bogus replay review... you could get any ruling you wanted out of that replay regarding that forward/latteral.. and when the visual evidence is not clear, you go with teh original call. You have to have a tech level that does not exist.. yet.. to get the exact moment where the ball left his finger. This 35/36 is a rounding in Indiana's favor.. twice.

But, in general, letting the play go and then reviewing it was the right thing.. so the officials got that right at least... instead of the late whistle while the play is ongoing to shut it down.. we have seen that as well.

ADVERTISEMENT