ADVERTISEMENT

First Time in 45 Years—Back to Back NCAAs

Stop with this.

We did not make it back to back to the tournament. There was no tournament last year. Hence why all the announcers say the last time we made the tournament was in 1991. Hence why the official record books say our last appearance was in 1991 until this year.

Let's not do the lame UCF Mythical National Championship thing. That's cheap and small time. Something befitting a minor league baseball team.

Rutgers fan since 1976 and season ticket holder since 1983. I count it. If others don’t want to, that is up to them. Congratulations to Coach Pike and Players for making it to the tournament again !
Like I said just declare us the 2020 national champs.

I disagree. We had 21 wins and a better record in conference this year. We were a lock. The NCAA should have had a selection of some sort. Nobody is saying we would have won a game. We were dancing last year without a doubt

There's a difference between saying we "would have" made the tournament and just declaring we made a tournament that didn't happen.

I would also like to congratulate our team and coach for the win against Baylor at that tournament in MSG earlier this season.

Reactions: cyrock3
Rutgers fan since 1976 and season ticket holder since 1983. I count it. If others don’t want to, that is up to them. Congratulations to Coach Pike and Players for making it to the tournament again !
If they had announced the seeds, I would agree with you. But they didn’t so we did not make a tournament last year.

I really have to question the logic and reasoning skills of those that shout down the OP. The point is that RU would have beyond any doubt been in the tournament last year. When you judge Pikiell you have to consider that he has put out back to back tournament teams. Obviously we all know the pandemic resulted in the tournament being cancelled.

I really have to question the logic and reasoning skills of those that shout down the OP. The point is that RU would have beyond any doubt been in the tournament last year. When you judge Pikiell you have to consider that he has put out back to back tournament teams. Obviously we all know the pandemic resulted in the tournament being cancelled.

Because these are different things. Everyone acknowledges we had a tournament quality team last year and got screwed out of it. No one blames Pikiell for "missing" the tournament last year. None of that changes the fact that no tournament selection actually happened.

No one is arguing that we would have made it last year but you can’t say back to back because there was no tournament last year. Done. End of story. May as well just say we were national champs then too

No one is arguing that we would have made it last year but you can’t say back to back because there was no tournament last year. Done. End of story. May as well just say we were national champs then too

Nope, more poor logic. Winning the national championship would have required more winning. Making the tournament was locked in.

The tournament not happening is besides the point. The point is that we’ve effectively had 2 tournament teams in a row. So if the OP wants to hammer that home and say back to back tournament teams that is fine by me, because that is what matters.

Reactions: RU848789
Nope, more poor logic. Winning the national championship would have required more winning. Making the tournament was locked in.

The tournament not happening is besides the point. The point is that we’ve effectively had 2 tournament teams in a row. So if the OP wants to hammer that home and say back to back tournament teams that is fine by me, because that is what matters.
He didn’t say that. He said NCAA tournament 2 years in a row. There was no tournament

So if we didn’t make the tournamen last year we can safely say nobody did. So there are no teams with consecutive tournaments, Meaning the blue bloods can no longer claim 20+ years of consecutive tournaments made. The other teams missed the tournament just like us last year. Everyone’s streak starts this year.

Reactions: BuckRU
So if we didn’t make the tournamen last year we can safely say nobody did. So there are no teams with consecutive tournaments, Meaning the blue bloods can no longer claim 20+ years of consecutive tournaments made. The other teams missed the tournament just like us last year. Everyone’s streak starts this year.
Actually they can because there was no tournament last year. Just can’t include last year in the list.

Stop with this.

We did not make it back to back to the tournament. There was no tournament last year. Hence why all the announcers say the last time we made the tournament was in 1991. Hence why the official record books say our last appearance was in 1991 until this year.

Let's not do the lame UCF Mythical National Championship thing. That's cheap and small time. Something befitting a minor league baseball team.
Bullshit, absolute bullshit. We were an NCAA team and there ought to be a banner for it at the RAC. Do you really need some stupid external validation that we were an 8/9 seed last year? I don't. We were a very good team and we were in, finishing strong and ready to make some noise. Not our fault COVID happened.

• Haha
Reactions: newell138
Now that we are going to make the tournament for real maybe we can ditch the pretend tournament?
What a shame that the 1st time we 99% make it after 29 years , it gets cancelled and we can't go.
We make it again, and for the most part we can't go.

Reactions: LadyRU09
Bullshit, absolute bullshit. We were an NCAA team and there ought to be a banner for it at the RAC. Do you really need some stupid external validation that we were an 8/9 seed last year? I don't. We were a very good team and we were in, finishing strong and ready to make some noise. Not our fault COVID happened.

Yes - like the Tooth Fairy, the 2020 NCAA tournament did not exist. There were no official brackets. You can't have an official banner for something that did not exist. Team with an NCAA tournament resume is different than team that made the tournament. Otherwise... why don't we do the Auburn thing and just claim that we won the 1869 Football Championship.

But we don't do that, because our school has more integrity than that. If you want the school to have a banner for it why don't you start a gofundme, get some money for it, and get on the school's case to get it done.

Reactions: newell138
Yes - like the Tooth Fairy, the 2020 NCAA tournament did not exist. There were no official brackets. You can't have an official banner for something that did not exist. Team with an NCAA tournament resume is different than team that made the tournament. Otherwise... why don't we do the Auburn thing and just claim that we won the 1869 Football Championship.

But we don't do that, because our school has more integrity than that. If you want the school to have a banner for it why don't you start a gofundme, get some money for it, and get on the school's case to get it done.
I can't believe you're being so ridiculous about this. Do you not acknowledge we were a lock last year for at least a 9 seed even if we lost in the first round of the B1G tourney? If you acknowledge that, then how can you not say we would have danced and not give credit to the team for it? We can have a banner for any friggin' thing we want and I will be amazed if we don't get one after this season - I wouldn't have put a banner up this year, as I wouldn't have wanted the team to be less hungry, but if I were Pike, I'd put both banners up before next season, as we earned them. Considering what I've already "funded" at RU, a banner would be loose change, so yeah maybe I will.

Stop with this.

He’s just pushing buttons.

....but I traveled to the 2020 tournament on a unicorn and we beat Villanova by 700 in the finals...so yes, we deserve a banner at the RAC

I can't believe you're being so ridiculous about this. Do you not acknowledge we were a lock last year for at least a 9 seed even if we lost in the first round of the B1G tourney? If you acknowledge that, then how can you not say we would have danced and not give credit to the team for it? We can have a banner for any friggin' thing we want and I will be amazed if we don't get one after this season - I wouldn't have put a banner up this year, as I wouldn't have wanted the team to be less hungry, but if I were Pike, I'd put both banners up before next season, as we earned them. Considering what I've already "funded" at RU, a banner would be loose change, so yeah maybe I will.

Dude.

Do YOU feel like we went to the tournament last year? How did you feel watching the game today? Did you feel like what was on the line was getting to the tournament after already making it last year? Or did you feel like it was a historic game 30 years in the making?

THERE WAS NO TOURNAMENT LAST YEAR. THERE WAS NO TOURNAMENT FIELD SELECTED LAST YEAR.

Dude.

Do YOU feel like we went to the tournament last year? How did you feel watching the game today? Did you feel like what was on the line was getting to the tournament after already making it last year? Or did you feel like it was a historic game 30 years in the making?

THERE WAS NO TOURNAMENT LAST YEAR. THERE WAS NO TOURNAMENT FIELD SELECTED LAST YEAR.
I don't really give a shit if there was a tournament last year with regard to this discussion. The only question you have to answer is, do you think we were a mortal lock for the tournament or not? And unless you're a moron, the answer to that would be yes. And if the answer to that is yes, then we were a tourney team last year. I felt all the things I feel today after beating MD and certainly after beating Purdue on the road last year. Go back and read those threads. We were in. Why do you need external validation to say we were a tourney team? I don't.

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
He’s just pushing buttons.

....but I traveled to the 2020 tournament on a unicorn and we beat Villanova by 700 in the finals...so yes, we deserve a banner at the RAC
Seriously, not pushing anything. We were a tourney-worthy team and would've been in. That's all that matters to me.

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
I don't really give a shit if there was a tournament last year with regard to this discussion. The only question you have to answer is, do you think we were a mortal lock for the tournament or not? And unless you're a moron, the answer to that would be yes. And if the answer to that is yes, then we were a tourney team last year. I felt all the things I feel today after beating MD and certainly after beating Purdue on the road last year. Go back and read those threads. We were in. Why do you need external validation to say we were a tourney team? I don't.

Seriously, not pushing anything. We were a tourney-worthy team and would've been in. That's all that matters to me.

This is all perfectly true, I just don't understand why you guys refuse to draw the distinction between all the bolded and the statement that we were actually in the NCAA tournament last year.

If you are evaluating the coach or players' performance, I 100% agree, they should get the same credit for last year that they would've gotten for actually making the tournament. But that's a different statement than "we were in the tournament".

This is a silly conversation, but someone did make the good point that saying Rutgers hasn’t made the tournament since 1991 is the logical equivalent of saying no team has made the tournament since 2019. “Accurate” sure, but kind of missing the point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT