ADVERTISEMENT

First weekend of PLL

Degaz-RU

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Dec 19, 2002
Games being streamed on ESPN+ from Albany.

Kamish on the Whipsnakes just went to the sideline with some type of issue. Commentators (Anish, Carc, Q) not sure if it’s heat related or something else. Hope he’s okay.

Really nice crowd up in Albany.

Reactions: Golfer2019
Second game starting now on ESPN TV.

Redwoods - Jules Heninburg and Mitch Bartolo

v.

Atlas - Michael Rexrode and Kyle Pless

Think they could mention the school for anyone besides Chris Gray and anyone from Notre Dame. I might have missed it but on any of Henninburg's 5 goals?

Jules was the only one who came to play on that team. Myles Jones should focus more on playing and not flexing.

Reactions: Golfer2019
Games being streamed on ESPN+ from Albany.

Kamish on the Whipsnakes just went to the sideline with some type of issue. Commentators (Anish, Carc, Q) not sure if it’s heat related or something else. Hope he’s okay.

Really nice crowd up in Albany.
I just talked with him. Took a nasty stick check/slash across his back after he got a GB off the wing. Took the wind out of him. He’s fine. Driving home right now to Michigan with his truck loaded. Been a crazy couple weeks

He’s gonna be on active list again next week in Charlotte.

Connor had a nice goal

Good win for the Whips!

Reactions: Caliknight
One thing I will say is that this could help fill the void between May Madness and football season,
I’m not wishing away the summer, but I do love football season and fall. It will be here soon enough

I just talked with him. Took a nasty stick check/slash across his back after he got a GB off the wing. Took the wind out of him. He’s fine. Driving home right now to Michigan with his truck loaded. Been a crazy couple weeks

Connor had a nice goal

Good win for the Whips!
Glad to hear he’s okay, Golfer

Connor had a nice goal

Good win for the Whips!

It the slash hit the kidney that will definitely take the starch out of you for a few minutes. Usually nothing long term.

I’m not wishing away the summer, but I do love football season and fall. It will be here soon enough

I'm a fall-spring person whose interest in baseball has declined with perfect correlation to the game time going from 2 hrs to 2 1/2 hrs to 3 hrs.......

Reactions: herdof3

Connor had a nice goal

Good win for the Whips!

Yea, I saw that check. It was a gritty groundball he got. They tried to say it was dehydration but it was pretty clear it was contact related on that faceoff. Glad to hear he is doing well. Crazy few weeks is right. This time last week he had just played in a final four game. Flash forward a week and he's on tv in a pro uniform.

Lots to be proud of Golfer. Said it before here. He's a great kid. Lots of them in our program.

I'm a fall-spring person whose interest in baseball has declined with perfect correlation to the game time going from 2 hrs to 2 1/2 hrs to 3 hrs.......

Pro baseball is so incredibly boring. I don't know how people spend that much time watching it. Of course, people say the same about golf but I love that.

I've noticed college baseball is much more tolerable.

None. The only reason college guys where them is it’s a rule. Essentially you want to wear the least amount of padding as possible. For mobility. Of course your arms get destroyed but that’s the price you pay.

That explains it. I wondered why everyone was wearing it when it had been so rare. The flip side is that as the sticks have gotten lighter and lighter the arm padding has gotten smaller and smaller.

Yea those old school aluminum shafts were fun. I played with a guy in Vail- old school Cuse guy, he had a wooden shaft. I hadn’t seen those since I was really young. He used to destroy people with that thing. Padding or no padding you were walking out of that game with damage. I’m glad he was on my team lol.

Reactions: mdk01
The part of the shoulder pads that extends down and protects the deltoids and triceps is detachable. The kids refer to them as "pu$$y pads" and remove them keeping only smallish shoulder pads. They say it's for more mobility but it's more of an ego thing (hence the nickname). And even in 8th grade the arms pay a heavy heavy price for removing them. I'd post a pic of my sons arms but the way to do that eludes me lol. On a related note the newer pads mandated just recently require the thick chest guard to minimize risk of SCA (sudden cardiac arrest) if struck square on the sternum by a ball. The kids hate those too but thats the rule. Hell, many kids refuse to wear a cup which baffles my mind in a sport like lax!!!

Reactions: DowntownT_Brown
Fun weekend watching the games in person this weekend -- enjoyed seeing some of Nardellas battles in the first game on Saturday

The part of the shoulder pads that extends down and protects the deltoids and triceps is detachable. The kids refer to them as "pu$$y pads" and remove them keeping only smallish shoulder pads. They say it's for more mobility but it's more of an ego thing (hence the nickname). And even in 8th grade the arms pay a heavy heavy price for removing them. I'd post a pic of my sons arms but the way to do that eludes me lol. On a related note the newer pads mandated just recently require the thick chest guard to minimize risk of SCA (sudden cardiac arrest) if struck square on the sternum by a ball. The kids hate those too but thats the rule. Hell, many kids refuse to wear a cup which baffles my mind in a sport like lax!!!

It rarely happens, but the first time a kid gets hit in the "nether regions" by a shot cup use by his teammates will skyrocket. It ain't pretty. The risk of SCA is real so I can see a pad mandate. But your description "thick" has me wondering whether they're overdoing it.

Reactions: jreinsdorf
Many of us use to alter the pads pretty drastically. I separated my shoulder once. There were no lacrosse pads that would have stopped that injury.

I never wore a cup either. I wasn’t around the goal too much on defense so never felt the need. Just one more piece of equipment to make me uncomfortable. Outside of goalies and maybe a few other guys cups were rare.

It rarely happens, but the first time a kid gets hit in the "nether regions" by a shot cup use by his teammates will skyrocket. It ain't pretty. The risk of SCA is real so I can see a pad mandate. But your description "thick" has me wondering whether they're overdoing it.
A guy on our team got hit square in the nuts by Glen Smith who at the time might have been the hardest shooter in college. Swelled up like a grapefruit. That was a sight.

@Caliknight,

You mentioned it in another thread but when does the PLL plan to initiate the city-based team concept?

I liked Lizards games for that reason as they were our team, being the closest MLL franchise.

Missed out on the MLL’s NJ Pride (who played as Yurcak btw) back in the day.

@Caliknight,

You mentioned it in another thread but when does the PLL plan to initiate the city-based team concept?

I liked Lizards games for that reason as they were our team, being the closest MLL franchise.

Missed out on the MLL’s NJ Pride (who played as Yurcak btw) back in the day.

I haven't seen the business plan myself but I think it called for 3 years of this travel based model. I could be wrong and Covid probably changed the game.

I will be with some of the initial investors this week and will see what I can find out.

A guy on our team got hit square in the nuts by Glen Smith who at the time might have been the hardest shooter in college. Swelled up like a grapefruit. That was a sight.

Winter practice in the field house the week before Dartmouth Winter Carnival an attackman caught one though at a lower velocity. Saw him at the ski jumping venue at carnival where most students just sat in the snow to watch. He did so and then scraped the surrounding snow into a make shift ice pack. Missed 2 more weeks of practice.

It sticks out over an inch if I recall and the first thing my son did was cock his arms back as if to shoot and he said it was quite restrictive.

The guys do NOT like the new pads. Now of course we all get the reason for them and support that...but all these guys don’t like wearing them

They weren't alive for Eric Sopracasa UMass in '99 and only in pre-school for George Boiardi Cornell in '04.

Those are such outlier situations. There have been tens of thousands of games and players that have never had such an experience. The odds that something like that would happen are incredibly minute.

Speaking more broadly about equipment manufacturers, I'm not sure how long our Maverik contract is for, but I hope we consider another option. I watch a shit load of lacrosse and Maverik shafts seem to break much more than other manufacturers. I swear we were breaking one or two a game towards the end of the season. It becomes a problem because in college as soon as the shaft breaks you have to drop the stick and run off. Guys at this level are way to savvy and immediately recognize the situation if it's near the goal and almost always score.

Those are such outlier situations. There have been tens of thousands of games and players that have never had such an experience. The odds that something like that would happen are incredibly minute.

Speaking more broadly about equipment manufacturers, I'm not sure how long our Maverik contract is for, but I hope we consider another option. I watch a shit load of lacrosse and Maverik shafts seem to break much more than other manufacturers. I swear we were breaking one or two a game towards the end of the season. It becomes a problem because in college as soon as the shaft breaks you have to drop the stick and run off. Guys at this level are way to savvy and immediately recognize the situation if it's near the goal and almost always score.
Whose equipment does Maryland use?

ADVERTISEMENT