ADVERTISEMENT

FIU fires Ron Turner

Why not? If not t's only his ego. How many major 1-A teams would hire him both the reputation he developed at Rutgers-AND with Tampa Bay? Wife Kristy likes Florida (I bet she's thrilled with Columbus though I assume she lives in FLA most if not all the year).
Ego - you nailed it.

Isiah Thomas has a bigger ego and he did it.

that was Isiahs first coaching job, which is why he took it. Schiano wants a plum coaching job along the lines of Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, USC, FSU, UF, TX or Miami. For the right price, he might even consider a UVA or UNC. He wants a place that sells itself. FIU isn't that place.

Reactions: OriginalKnight
Remember when colleges didn't fire their coach "mid" season? Now the FIU's of the world are doing it.

Will be interesting to see if Meyer holds him to the 2 year agreement like other assistants

The guy who was in Schiano's position last year with less of a resume got the RU job and you think Schiano can only get an FIU level job? Some of you guys allow your personal feelings about Schiano to cloud your judgment

that was Isiahs first coaching job, which is why he took it. Schiano wants a plum coaching job along the lines of Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, USC, FSU, UF, TX or Miami. For the right price, he might even consider a UVA or UNC. He wants a place that sells itself. FIU isn't that place.

UNC grad here and unless 10 others turned Carolina down no way I see them offering or even considering Schiano. Rutgers is a blip on the southern scale. Of those named Schiano would probably be in the running for Penn State-at best. Schiano wants a plumb job to suit his ego. Wife Kristi loves Florida where Schiano has had some success recruiting. Most of the top schools including those named can do better than Schiano and likely the few who'd work wth him. Intersect those two and I can see a Central Florida, USF, FIU, Florida Atlantic-unless Schiano is willing to head a mid major elsewhere. Else I'm sure he's content to sit on his 15+ millon and be a top assistant while Kristi can sit in her Miami area climate controlled 70 degree beach house.

UNC grad here and unless 10 others turned Carolina down no way I see them offering or even considering Schiano. Rutgers is a blip on the southern scale. Of those named Schiano would probably be in the running for Penn State-at best. Schiano wants a plumb job to suit his ego. Wife Kristi loves Florida where Schiano has had some success recruiting. Most of the top schools including those named can do better than Schiano and likely the few who'd work wth him. Intersect those two and I can see a Central Florida, USF, FIU, Florida Atlantic-unless Schiano is willing to head a mid major elsewhere. Else I'm sure he's content to sit on his 15+ millon and be a top assistant while Kristi can sit in her Miami area climate controlled 70 degree beach house.

UNC was just an example. Schiano feels his pedigree is above Rutgers. He's not taking a job at a directional school. It takes more effort and lots more hard work to recruit at those schools. If that means staying at OSU and helping Meyer win National Championships, then so be it. That gets him closer to his goal of a plum coaching job than resurrecting a directional schools program. Having resurrected Rutgers and coached in the NFL, and now a top assistant to the best coach in the game, Schiano is in a position of power and can afford to be choosy. There's nothing for him to gain taking a job at a directional school. Had he had no head coaching experience, it might have been an option. But he has loads. And OSU can pay him whatever he wants to keep him. ND and LSU are other examples of jobs which fits what he wants.

UNC was just an example. Schiano feels his pedigree is above Rutgers. He's not taking a job at a directional school. It takes more effort and lots more hard work to recruit at those schools. If that means staying at OSU and helping Meyer win National Championships, then so be it. That gets him closer to his goal of a plum coaching job than resurrecting a directional schools program. Having resurrected Rutgers and coached in the NFL, and now a top assistant to the best coach in the game, Schiano is in a position of power and can afford to be choosy. There's nothing for him to gain taking a job at a directional school. Had he had no head coaching experience, it might have been an option. But he has loads. And OSU can pay him whatever he wants to keep him. ND and LSU are other examples of jobs which fits what he wants.

Power? Ever married? Where do the Schiano kids want to go to school? Notre Dame (as good a coaching job as any)? LSU? Only you AL :>)...

I'm pretty sure if Lovie Smith can get a B1G job after TB, Schiano can get a P5 job somewhere if he wants. BC, Purdue, NW, VA seem like the types of job he'd consider.

Power? Ever married? Where do the Schiano kids want to go to school? Notre Dame (as good a coaching job as any)? LSU? Only you AL :>)...

That's my read on what he wants. Now whether he gets it, is another story. But I just don't see him taking a Rutgers or FIU type job. He's already done that and proven himself. He wants bigger and better things.

I'm pretty sure if Lovie Smith can get a B1G job after TB, Schiano can get a P5 job somewhere if he wants. BC, Purdue, NW, VA seem like the types of job he'd consider.

Don't think he spring for those jobs save for UVa. He wants a selector school which recruits itself.

He's too good for UNC. GS is all about academic integrity and next to Penn State they are the most vile institution in college sports. If OSU wins the NC he will be able to do much better than that cess pool.

Keep in mind the Rutgers rebuild is considered by many the greatest in the history of college foot ball. He has two years as an NFL head coach and although it didn't go well, it's still a pretty big resume builder. Next he may win another NC as a defensive coordinator. His resume is too impressive for NC. He can get a job at a real school.

Schiano taking a head coaching job at FIU is without a doubt the dumbest thing I have ever read on this board.

it would be a nightmare for Rutgers if Schiano took the State Penn job when Franklin is fired.

ADVERTISEMENT